Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The Men & Inventions That Changed The Way We Fish Today
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 03:35 PM

Alfred Lee Loomis. Invented Long Range Navigation, better known as LORAN.:yes: GPS has replaced it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 05:04 PM
fishermen and lurs,drags,leaders

I think david k mentioned ray cannon and I'll mention "PAPA" and >OOPS.. also Carl Kiekhaefer.... that we owe the outboard motor (mercury)..K & T:cool:

[Edited on 7-14-2012 by captkw]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 05:17 PM
Zane gray

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,does ZANE GRAY fit in there somewhere ?? K & T:cool:

Most likely, he does. Zane Grey is one of my favorite authors and a famous character in the world scene of sportsfishing, both fresh and saltwater. He has done a lot to promote fishing areas around the globe...Florida, Australia, New Zealand, Oregon's Rogue River, and many others. He popularized flyfishing for steelhead and salmon in the far west...way ahead of the herd.

But I am racking my memory banks to recall if he 'invented' anything useful that has made a change in the way we fish today? Maybe somebody can help in that?

I do know I get a huge amount of satisfaction in reading his works, most of which I am lucky to have in my home library.
****** I have been to his cabin in the middle of nowwhere on the Rogue river 8/9 times and Have to say that guy had B___LS talk about a wild and scenic area !!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 06:11 PM

Now owned by rapala, Luhr Jensen built lures used by every northwest fisherman.

Luhr-Jensen, a company known world-wide for its quality fishing lures and accessories, had its start in an unused chicken coop on a depression-ridden fruit ranch in the upper Hood River Valley of Oregon.

It began in 1932. Luhr Jensen Sr. was 41 years old and the grip of the Great Depression had strained the ability of his family’s fruit growing business to support them. With time on his hands and a manually-operated printing press, for which Luhr had dies made from old truck parts, the skilled angler began stamping, assembling and polishing meticulously crafted salmon spinners. The knowledge behind his spinners assured their performance and the quality of their construction solidified their value. Friends and associates began demanding them, and so a business was born in his little backyard chicken coop factory.

By 1934 Luhr had a handful of employees cutting, assembling and polishing spinners, and with his teenage son and daughter working after school, the business grew. They worked hard and the company prospered. Luhr continued to create new lures, such as the still-famous Ford Fender, named after the Model A from which he obtained the headlight reflector and built the blades.

Luhr Jensen Sr. has long since passed, but over seventy years later, Luhr-Jensen products still sit firmly upon a foundation of knowledge, performance, quality, and value… evident in the timelessness of the Krocodile, Super Duper and Ford Fender, the ingenuity of the Dipsy Diver, Hot Shot and Jet Diver, the superiority of the J-Plug, Kwikfish and Needlefish.

Each and every Luhr-Jensen product continues to take shape simply, born from an idea of a skilled angler. In the beginning the challenge was the Great Depression. Today, it’s the challenge of each new day on the water.

For more: http://www.luhrjensenhistory.com/Biographies.html
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 06:21 PM
Luhr-jensen

I dont think that today anybody that fishes..has not used/tryed one or more of their great products !! myself a LONG time KROC fan !! They work great !! and when ya used right for the "conditions/ AKA sweet spots" they are constant !! K & T :cool:
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 06:39 PM

I may have missed it but the Helin Flatfish was one of a kind with many imitations,millions were made and sold,we started using them in the 40,s when they were still wood and are still effective today as they were back then!!

Years ago they had sold 10 million:o probably the most successful lure ever made.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 06:46 PM
helin flatfish

Hola,,can you post va PIC ??
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 11:29 PM

Great great post! Thank you all for the info and pics. Makes me wannna run to Trader Joe's and buy some frozen Tiliapia........... ;D;D;D;D;D

Hopefully they'll be out so I'll have to run to Baja to throw a chrome Kroc and see what happens!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
I may have missed it but the Helin Flatfish was one of a kind with many imitations,millions were made and sold,we started using them in the 40,s when they were still wood and are still effective today as they were back then!!

Years ago they had sold 10 million:o probably the most successful lure ever made.
Rob

The flatfish was a very common lure in all the sporting good stores during my younger years. Yet I repeatedly ignored it. There were so many other lures that just looked to be 'fishier'. The flat head followed by a hanging, sausage-like body just didn't look like anything edible out there.

It wasn't until I was almost 30 that a group of us ended up on a small isolated lake in the Kamloops area where none of our california lures worked. The lodge told us that virtually everyone fished these lakes with flatfish. This was Bare Lake and it's neighbors.

We trolled the flatfish by rowing. It became almost immediately obvious why they were so good. They had tremendous movement. Enticing movement. The lure would pivot and stand upright shaking from side to side unlike any other lure of it's day. The lip of a rapala never came close to the action these lures provided. And even though it really looked like nothing real out there the trout couldn't seem to resist it.

A great lure for it's time. Unique. But it never fostered the development of descendants like the rapala did. Perhaps that's because it's still unclear why it was so effective.

Remember the Super Duper? Hard to say what the trout saw in that bent piece of metal. It wasn't that good anyway. Not in the same class as the flatfish, really.

[Edited on 7-14-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

flatfish.jpg - 41kB
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 07:06 AM
Lure History Notes

Some History on the Helin Flatfish…and it’s twin?

Helin Tackle Company Limited

Lasalle/Windsor, Ontario

Early Helin Catalogue Picture of Windsor Branch Location

A picture from an early Helin tackle catalogue showing the Windsor branch location.

Charlie Helin patented his Flatfish in 1936, and by his own claim, the Detroit, Michigan, plug maker had sold 5 million of them before 1950. The lure was made by Charlie Helin and marketed during the 1930s by a tackle company that carried his name in Detroit, according to michigansportsman.com. It was originally made from wood, but Helin switched to plastic/tenite in the 1940s.

Helin had 2 different plant locations in Ontario - One in Lasalle, and one in Windsor. According to an early advertising brochure from Helin, the company was producing over 5000 lures a day, and was shipping its flatfish all over the World. If his wealth was any indication of his business success, you can't argue with his claims (Note Charles Helin taking Miss Universe on a lavish flight on the Flying Flatfish 5 in the picture).

Charles Helin on the Flying Flatfish V

I think the caption below the picture speaks for itself, and gives you an idea of how well the company did during its hayday. Notice the big picture of the Flatfish on the body of the plane...advertising at its best!

Today, the flatfish is made by Yakima Bait Co. in Granger, Wash., under strict guidelines established by Helin, with over 50 different color combinations and l1 different sizes, according to yakimabait.com. The Web site provides a host of tips on how to use the lure to catch just about all species of fish, including the salmon, trout, bass and perch that swim at the Quabbin.

Early Helin Flatfish Lure Box

An early U20 Helin Flatfish in its original box. Even with its age, the Flatfish is not an exceptionally rare or valuable lure, but it has to be respected for its enduring design and product longevity.

THE TWIN LURE?
Here’s an odd coincidence and a very similar lure. I have owned some Helin Flatfish lures over the years...and found them almost identical to the Lazy Ike lure ...see below:

My ‘Old Lures Board’ shows No. 2 …a red/white Lazy Ike…killer lure for salmon, walleye, trout, pike, muskie, and fishermen in a tackle store. :rolleyes:

LAZY IKE (TWIN BROTHER TO THE FLATFISH?)

The Lazy Ike Corporation began in 1897 founded by Joseph Kautzky, an Austrian immigrant. The Kautzky Manufacturing Company, as it was originally named, started in the gunsmith business and over the years expanded into other lines of sporting goods. Somewhere around the mid 1930's there was a fisherman in the Fort Dodge Iowa area named Newel Daniels that was hand carving what was to become the ike.

The following is the story behind the Lazy Ike.

Apparently Joseph Kautzky Jr. saw Daniels fishing the lure and remarked "look at that lazy ike." From 1938 to 1940 the entire production was hand made by Daniels. When Daniels left the company in 1940 he turned over the rights to Kautzky. Production then shifted to "Pop" Shuck who hand made them until around 1945 when lathe production began.

Wood prodcution ceased in 1960 when the plastic version was made. Kautzky produced many baits, the most famous being the Lazy Ike.

The Lazy Ike and the other Kautzky lures are not generally considered to be collectible. However as the more famous lures are becoming a bit more scarce, the Lazy Ike Corporation and several other companies are starting to draw some attention. For me, it's not about value with these lures. I have fond memories of fishing the Lazy Ikes and in particular the Flex Ikes for Northerns, Lakers, and Walleyes as a kid. Like so many nostalgia nuts, this is the lure that got me started in lure collecting and I still collect and fish with these lures today.

The Lazy Ike Corporation actually played a fairly significant role in the history of fishing tackle. For one, the Lazy Ike is probably one of the most widely fished lures in the world. Lazy Ike's storied history included purchasing the Creek Chub Bait Company in 1978. Lazy Ike is now owned by Pradco. A few plastic lures are still made including the Lazy Ike.

What would we do without fishing??

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

2. R.D. HULL

When R.D. Hull was a kid learning to fish in Snyder, Texas, he was continually picking out backlashes in the bait-casting reels of the time. He resolved the problem by having younger brother Ott walk around the pond they fished and drop his fishing plug in the water. He then could retrieve the lure without problems, but that only worked until Ott wised up.

Hull grew up to be a watchmaker and tinkerer, and decided he should invent a reel that wouldn't backlash. He solved the problem while watching a grocery clerk pull string from a large fixed spool to wrap a package. A reel with a fixed spool would be impossible to backlash, he thought, so he set out to make one.

In 1947, Hull showed his prototype to officials at Tulsa, Oklahoma's Zero Hour Bomb Company. The company produced explosive charges for oil drilling, not fishing tackle, but the men, intrigued by Hull's idea, sent the inventor home to make a working model. Hull returned with a handmade reel that was tested by company employees who were avid anglers. One tied his keys to the line and sent a cast flying high over the building. Everyone was impressed.

Hull was hired on the spot and set to work improving the reel's design. In June 1949, the first 25 "Standard" fishing reels came off the assembly line. They were an immediate hit with fishermen, and the company, which later changed its name to Zebco, began selling them by the thousands.

R.D. Hull's reel, which later evolved into the Zebco 33 spin-cast reel, changed forever the way people fished. Before the inventor died in 1977, more than 70 million Zebco reels had been sold, and Hull had been granted 35 U.S. patents.

Roger,

I was doing some research on what Mitchell Reels brought to the table and came across this statement on their website. It seems they claim to have invented the spinning reel.

http://www.fishmitchell.com/

In 1948, we invented the world’s first spinning reel. Today, we remain dedicated to our heritage of making reliable fishing tackle that performs flawlessly and allows all anglers to experience the joy of fishing.

Perhaps they're referring to the first OPEN-FACED spinning reel.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 08:01 AM

I believe you are right, Igor. Indeed, the Zebco was the first closed spin cast anti-backlash reel, and not open-faced spinning reel like the Mitchell shown. A big difference, and we can give them each their due.

I recall meeting a fisherman years ago who was using a spinning reel like me, but he held his outfit upside down...with the bail on top...and reeled it backwards. He said this felt more natural to him and refused to change to the proper use.....go figure?

You prompted me to do my own search on spinning reels and I found this tidbit from:

http://www.antiquefishingreels.info/Articles/WinansWhistler....

The origins of modern spinning reels are rooted in the textile industry, which also provided much of the terminology used for various aspects of the reels and spin-casting. Robert Kershaw, of Norristown, Pa., described the advantages of feeding line axially from
a spool in his 1867 patent for a machine that processed yarn.2 The principle would be applied within a few years to machines used to handle fishing lines.

The earliest patent that specifically described casting from a fixed-spool reel was granted to Thomas Winans and Thomas D. Whistler, of
Baltimore, Md., on March 23, 1875.

The rod-and reel combination was designed to prevent line
overrun without the use of a friction brake. A singleaction, side-mounted reel was mounted on one side of the rod, and its crankshaft extended through the rod to the other side, where the crank was attached.

So...that was considerably long before either Zebco or Mitchell came on the scene with their reels. This is often the case when it comes to history..and who was first. ;)

Here's a treat for you...One of my favorite photos of Zane Grey showing off some of his tackle.

"Do you think he's got enough gear there?"

[Edited on 7-14-2012 by Pompano]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 08:50 AM
ZANE GREY

WOW!!! Thats a pic !! Look at the reel he is holding !! going whale fishing...LOL

[Edited on 7-14-2012 by captkw]
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 09:13 AM

In the photo behind Grey, is that a bull dorado?????????????:o:o:o:o:o

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 09:33 AM

If I,m not mistaken that reel was made by Gray,s Swedish tool and die maker friend at a cost of 1500$ with their latest drag system,he used that reel when targeting such fish as Broadbill,Blue and Black Marlin,larger tuna and shark,would loved to see that collection some time.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
In the photo behind Grey, is that a bull dorado?????????????:o:o:o:o:o

Hola watizname (?)

I think that's a great white shark caught by Grey while on his sailboat..at least that's what the caption reads from his website.

Note the reel he was using.

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 09:48 AM

Wrong tail and a blunt nose with stripes,Tiger shark Pomp,saw one just like that and that size at Eniwetok Atoll one nite.
Rob

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Wrong tail and a blunt nose with stripes,Tiger shark Pomp,saw one just like that and that size at Eniwetok Atoll one nite.
Rob

Exactly what I thought, too, baitcast....does not look like a great white......but had to go with the caption per the Zane Grey website.

Here's another Grey photo of a great while caught while on his sailboat..and this one looks more like one should.

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 10:13 AM

Love it when we get going like this:biggrin: when I see collections of lures it always makes me wonder why would a fish grab one of those things??

Like the Flatfish for instance,nothing like that in the water anywhere,yellow or orange with black spots come on? crazy looking things that look like nothing you have ever seen.

A spinner baits? I,ve caught many bass on them why? yellow or chartreuse being my favorites? nothing swims that are that color?

One time Igor tells me make sure you use orange? I ask why? nothing is orange down there?

Spooks are a real crazy example back and forth,back and forth makes no sence?

You would think the more fishy it looks the better it must be WRONG? On and on it goes..........LOVE IT:lol:
Rob

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 06:23 PM

Okay, guess I got a little excited, but just seeing the outline in the small photo----- -------alright,alright, I'll slow down on the beer this afternoon.------But it is Saturday.:cool::cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.