Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Forum Security
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 10:52 AM
Forum Security

Is anyone here even slightly curious how a third party managed to access the private messages of Baja Nomad members? Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the forum. Just sayin'.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Is anyone here even slightly curious how a third party managed to access the private messages of Baja Nomad members?

As always, if someone has access to your password (or email address), then that person has the ability to access your user account here.

It's not a software issue.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 01:04 PM

did i miss something?:?:

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 01:11 PM

:?: :?: :?:

http://www.rosen.com/divorce/divorcearticles/electronic-comm...

http://www.enotes.com/internet-reference/internet-privacy#el...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
As always, if someone has access to your password (or email address), then that person has the ability to access your user account here. Its not a software issue here.

Is this to say that anyone needs only a Nomad's email address to access our Nomad account?
I would think they'd need to know, or hack, our Nomad password, no?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 02:36 PM

It had nothing to do with Doug or the Forum. It had to do with someone having access to the password. The password has since been changed.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 02:42 PM

It is one thing to have been able to access the U2U's. It's a whole other ball of wax to freely publish them on their own private forum to boost readership. It wasn't about exposing a murder confession, it was to give the false ambience that the Forum code was cracked and/or public information was accessed to obtain these U2U's. The person had the password that is publishing them. That much I can confirm.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
My biggest issue was a U2U someone forwarded and subsequent parties altered and disseminated...
I did not come out smelling like a rose and it chagrins me to think that I was stupid enough to trust like that.
Live and learn.

Also, the rancor and efforts to promote this rancor, the outright nastiness by a very few here combined with my previous error of trust has certainly diminished my participation here.

Oh, well!:cool:

Many people freely pass on a u2u or an e-mail. Some feel that once it has been sent to them, it belongs to them to do what they choose --- they do not see them as confidential.

Other people pass them along in order to do harm to someone else just because they like harming people. Makes them feel good/superior. They also do it to gain favor with the person to whom they pass on the e-mail or U2U.

And if someone altered the message on top of it all, well, that says a lot and is probably a person who like many, will lie with impunity seeking some type of gain for him/herself.

Now about the e-mail thing. I know that EnsenadaDr has said that this time someone had password access.

However,

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

As always, if someone has access to your password (or email address), then that person has the ability to access your user account here.

It's not a software issue.

Doug is it true that all they need is your e-mail address????

I have also been told by a few people that on occasion you read the U2Us??? I have never wanted to believe that.

Now with the addition of that other forum, etc., things have become a bit too wacky around here --- time to say adios.

:yes: :yes:

[Edited on 7-21-2012 by DianaT]

greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 04:52 PM

Sorry to see you go DianaT, it was always a pleasure to read your posts. Maybe you will change your mind.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 05:00 PM

I think she is under the misconception thatsomeone having your email address can allow them to break into your email. You need the password as well. No one can do anything with an email unless your password is "12345". Its unfortunate that people take personal information and use it to promote their own agendas.

[Edited on 7-22-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 05:04 PM

Just know that everything you post on here can be used against you.........

U2U's as well.

I'm more cautious now. Everything you post online will be there forever.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 05:07 PM

Yeah, let this be a reminder to change your passwords from time to time, and like Ensenada Dr. said, don't make it 12345.

I hope you're not leaving DianaT. You add much here.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 05:17 PM
"Adios" never means goodbye on this forum

Even Skeet will be back,
you can count on it.

"Adios" is ...... well, not gonna say it,
but it is not goodbye
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 05:25 PM

Some one on another site acessed our Face Book and poster pictures that were on facebook, They acessed public records and posted some things out of contex, so far every thing they have published is true and a 2nd grade marooon could find them out.
In defence of what they published as I stated it's all true and I hope it makes them feel Important, there Is more to find and if they have good sense and run across the info they seek they may find out what I am really capeable of.
I seek no Public Office and am not looking for Friends I rely on no one for my happiness so Dig Away. Because I realy could care less, I dont get Mad I get EVEN.:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-22-2012 by J.P.]
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 07:04 PM

My motto is to publish no more personal information on line than can be found in the phone book. That includes Facebook.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Doug is it true that all they need is your e-mail address????

Need access to your email address - in other words access to see your incoming email. With such, they could have a new password issued by the system - via email - that they could use to access your user account.

Quote:
I have also been told by a few people that on occasion you read the U2Us???

Absolutely - if you want to word it that way. This is not the first time this has been asked, and I believe I've never stated otherwise. Many of the complaints I receive here - and need to look into - have to do with u2u messages people have received. The software is setup so that the board admin can easily view any user's u2u.

Now if the question is do I peruse the u2u's of others on a regular basis - the answer is no.

-
Doug

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wiltonh
My motto is to publish no more personal information on line than can be found in the phone book. That includes Facebook.

What takes many by surprise however is how much is out there published about us by others. And until we're targeted by someone with either great research skills, and/or knowledge of some of the resources out there easily available in the "Internet age", we're not aware of it.

We don't know what we don't know.

:o

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 10:46 PM

some users words were hacked somewhere, then the "private" internet scribbles were placed on another forum board using false pretenses. there are people out there that need to get their priorities worked out...... see Aurora, CO.

Diana, don't go.....

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 12:13 AM

I shut down my Facebook page after trolls attempted to friend me in order to gain access to family photos and personal info. Watch your Facebook info, everybody!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 07:21 AM
Doug has always made it clear he has access to U2U

This should not be a great surprise,
especially to those that have been around a while.

Been a part of the game from the beginning,
and I have no problem with this.

Facebook????
Ken, you said it best,
there is more to life than living it through that site.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.