capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 10:34 AM

2 best sauces on the planet:

Robbs Ribbs sauce from albuquerque NM

Smokin' Joe Jones from San Diego.

both avail mail order

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 05:35 PM

Bob H

Thanks for the idea, the cooking method and procedures and the final product of your new Smokenator. The 22" Weber kettle IMO is one of the great inventions for the Bar B Queing world. The Smokenator is another genius idea on how to turn your versatile 22" Weber into a slow smoker. I've being experimenting using my two 22" Webers as a smoker ever since I read an article in Sunset Magazine on "How To Do A Texas BBQ using Your Weber Grill (1990)". The Smokenator will simplify the smoking process along with allowing for experimenting with different liquids, woods and charcoal.

I just saw your post this morning after I had already put my 8lb pork butt (shoulder) on my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. I used a new temperature controller for the 1st time I saw on one of Alton Brown's shows from the Food Channel. It is made by Pitmasters, model IQ110 (http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110.html). It fits either a WSM or most kettle-type grills encluding the 22" Weber. You set the temperature and then just leave it alone. I put this butt on at 1600 sunday and took it off on 1000 monday. I did not check it from 8pm until 0700 the next morning. I pulled it after sealing it in foil with BBQ and some stock and oven warming it for an hour at 225 degrees.

Your pork and ribs look delectable. The Smokenator is a must for my 22" webers.

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by Lobsterman]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 05:43 PM
smokey

Hola, my grand pa has been smokeing on a round weber for many,many years with a square pan under the meat and puttin the charcol off to the sides with nothen else and talk about simple !! he does watch the temp closely and uses a peircing thermoter for doneness..you might say he has it down...I have too practice for a few more years till I get get masterd..but sure is fun trying !!! K & T:cool:

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by captkw]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola, my grand pa has been smokeing on a round weber for many,many years with a square pan under the meat and puttin the charcol off to the sides with nothen else and talk about simple !! he does watch the temp closely and uses a peircing thermoter for doneness..you might say he has it down...I have too practice for a few more years till I get get masterd..but sure is fun trying !!! K & T:cool:

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by captkw]

Me too. I've got a smoker but I don't really like the way it cooks so I usually end up using the Weber.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 06:10 PM

mmmm.....ribs!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 07:29 PM

Wow, good stuff there Lobsterman and Mexitron... love the photos, etc.

The big deal for me with the Smokenator is temperature control. Every time I use the Smokenator I learn new tricks. Every meal gets better and better.

I have three Webers (Joe, 18" and 22") and a Texas smoker, with the side thing and smoke stack. I made three turkeys at one time in that Texas setup, and they were great. Just need to rotate them around during cook time.

But, back and St Louis style pork ribs are what I love making the most.

Every time I fire up the Webers, etc. the neighbors start sniffing around my front door... lol

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 07:50 PM
RAD AVATAR DUDE!!!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 08:07 PM
Was that your pooch at San Quintin

Quote:

Dog with aviators, just like your avatar,
waiting in a vehicle outside the Santa Maria Rest. in March.

Was that yours??
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 08:16 PM
uuhhh !

hola, I DONT GET CAUGHT WITH MY PANTS DOWN OFTEN !! I was in a gold volva !! catch that ? I would have say at this time,, a good chance it was !! I'm fading off to sleep with selena gomez.. but I willl have to check the little brain cell's that are left in the morn ..out..K & T
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 09:56 PM
too funny

Quote:
hola, I DONT GET CAUGHT WITH MY PANTS DOWN OFTEN !! I was in a gold volva !! catch that ? I would have say at this time,, a good chance it was !! I'm fading off to sleep with selena gomez.. but I willl have to check the little brain cell's that are left in the morn ..out..K & T

Yep,
same pooch
I will U2U you and we can compare notes....
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

both avail mail order

Mike, I have to try out your sauces recommendation, for sure.

What happend to your avitar?

Which Smokin Joes would you recommend?

http://www.smokinjoesbarbecue.com/

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 06:35 AM

Here's the recipe for a Texas BBQ Sauce from that Sunset magazine article from the 90s. I lost it years ago but here's what I've made for years with my recollection of it.

1.5 cups catsup
3/4 cup Leo Perrins worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup beef stock or juice from meats
juice from one juicy lemon
salt & pepper & hot sauce to taste

Put all ingedients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a fast simmer. Cook for 30 minutes uncovered or until the BBQ sauce has thickened to your likeness.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-24-2012 at 07:45 AM
the hot and spicy one

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

both avail mail order

i used to go to his warehouse by our civil engineer's office when i was working in Bonita 2001-2004 and buy a case at a time and fly it home.

my old web hoster officelive decided to shut down and not tell anyone, you have to have an addressable avatar and i think i had it there, so now it is gone. i just rebuilt my website on office 365, no longer free, and i can't get it to size right to fit in Doug's settings.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:06 AM

Another vote for Smokin' Joe Jones................

I do a dry rub, both on Pork butt and Tri Tips, then sauce it the last 10 minutes on the grill. Pull it off before the sauce burns.

Good looking set-up Bob.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
OK, I set up my Weber kettle grill with the Smokenator 1000 and made this Pork Butt. Smoked it with chunks of apple wood!
Wow, it was soooooo good!

http://www.pbase.com/bajabob/pork_butt_bbq

Looks great, but I am an anti sauce , while you are smokin, guy. I also, don't like to boil the meat with water or apple juice.

I have found that cooking the meat without "colorizing" it with sauce, gives the true flavor and then I like to serve it with Baby Rays and let the guest use as much or little as possible.

I have found in my age group, including me, that blood sugar is becoming an issue. Love the sauce, but not the sugar. I have been messing around trying to come up with a home made sauce that uses some Stevia sweetner and some natural juices from fruits to sweeten up the sauce. So far, nothing worth writing home about.
Keep on smokin'

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by CortezBlue]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 09:31 AM

OK, I just ordered Smokin' Joe Jones spicy sauce... can't wait to try it out
THANKS Mike!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

both avail mail order

i used to go to his warehouse by our civil engineer's office when i was working in Bonita 2001-2004 and buy a case at a time and fly it home.

my old web hoster officelive decided to shut down and not tell anyone, you have to have an addressable avatar and i think i had it there, so now it is gone. i just rebuilt my website on office 365, no longer free, and i can't get it to size right to fit in Doug's settings.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 12:01 PM

you'll like it.
the store warehouse is open to the public so you can pick up but maybe gas is more thaqn UPS? i think you live in SD county?

you should give Robb's a try too bob. it is different and actually more heat than Joes hottest if you like that. NM green chili is his secret plus some higher skovil peppers here and there. Worth the shipping from ABQ.

i 1st met Joe Jones when he was demonstrating at a PHX Costco many years ago. guy has tremendous personality. and his background is KC and Carolina too.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
Here's the recipe for a Texas BBQ Sauce from that Sunset magazine article from the 90s. I lost it years ago but here's what I've made for years with my recollection of it.

1.5 cups catsup
3/4 cup Leo Perrins worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup beef stock or juice from meats
juice from one juicy lemon
salt & pepper & hot sauce to taste

Put all ingedients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a fast simmer. Cook for 30 minutes uncovered or until the BBQ sauce has thickened to your likeness.

Sonny Bryan's BBQ in Texas has an amazing sauce----just checked for the recipe on the net...here it is:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sonny Bryan’s Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By:
Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbecue Sauce

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Tablespoons oil (bacon drippings)
1 Medium onion -- slivered
4 Cloves garlic -- chopped
28 Fluid Ounces crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 Cups ketchup
1 Cup fresh orange juice
6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 Cup water
2 Tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 Cup honey
1/2 Cup brown sugar -- packed
3 Tablespoons crystallized ginger -- finely chopped
2 Tablespoons dark molasses
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 Teaspoon tobasco
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon coriander -- ground
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 Teaspoon salt

Saute onion until golden brown. Add garlic for one minute. Add remaining
ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring
frequently.

I figured there was honey in it but didn't know the rest was so complex---damn good sauce though!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
you'll like it.
the store warehouse is open to the public so you can pick up but maybe gas is more thaqn UPS? i think you live in SD county?

you should give Robb's a try too bob. it is different and actually more heat than Joes hottest if you like that. NM green chili is his secret plus some higher skovil peppers here and there. Worth the shipping from ABQ.

i 1st met Joe Jones when he was demonstrating at a PHX Costco many years ago. guy has tremendous personality. and his background is KC and Carolina too.

I have a jar of Smoken Joes 'spicy' jar of sauce. WOW! It is incredible. I can't find Robb's anywhere, seems like the website it not working. But Joes is fabulous! Thanks.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Have converted one of those old all-metal refrigerators into a smoker. The heat source? Two electric hot plates. Added an extra grill or two and a thermometer. Can smoke a large turkey in 10 hrs. Load it up with fish, chicken, ribs, roasts, gets the job done. Apply a good "rub", kick back and enjoy.:biggrin:

When I lived at Half Moon Bay I had so much salmon to smoke that I built a smoker using an old all metal fridge except my heat sorce was a 55gal drum split lengthwise and hinged to contain a good amount of firewood + fresh apple wood branches. It sat 6 feet away from the fridge and was connected with 6 inch pipe and the frig had an adjustable vent on top to control the temp at 200 +/-

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.