BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Restoring cars in Baja?
Reas

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 09:23 AM
Restoring cars in Baja?

I'm posting this for a buddy who's having computer issues today :)

Hello,

I am a UK citizen looking at living in Baja, within a 10hrs drive from the border.

I lived in the States for 20 years and accumulated a few classic car projects.I am a classic car mechanic/restorer and currently have several classic triumph cars stored in in the US just north of the san ysidro border crossing. I would want to restore/refurbish the cars in Baja before putting them up for sale either in Baja or the states

I was planning a trip there within the next couple of weeks but was advised that I should find out what issues, if any, there would be with me bringing a car south across the border that is on a trailer and obviously not drive-able.

Assuming that bringing it in could be done, what would be the issues of taking it back across the border when it was finished.

The cars are not extremely high value just some classic late 60's Triumphs valued less than 10K when restored
I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise.

Thanks

Andrew

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by Reas]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 09:39 AM
cars

HOLA< upoustry and body work done cheap and anything else you will be out of luck..and forget about any electrical work with posative ground will mess with their head..LOL when I was a young lad I had guy that would buy a old classic and bring to me and I got it up and running then he would drive down to T.J. for body and inteier work..he found out in a hurry that if he did not stay at the shop all day that the work did not get done !! and not to break out the beer till the work day was over!! wish ya luck..K & T :cool:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:06 AM

There is a classic car group in Ensenada. I will try and find the information.

Reas

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks folks :)

Just to clarify on Andrews behalf, he will be doing all the work himself. He is a rare breed that can do upholstery/body/engine/electrical/mechanical

I know he's trying hard to sort his computer out so he can get on here himself today :)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:24 AM

The farther away from the border, the more difficult his project(s) will be.

Transporting the cars (and parts, supplies,tools) across the border in either direction may open a Pandora's box of problems (opportunities). And if he is "working" and selling cars in Baja, he will need the proper FM-2 or FM-3.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
La Paz is a major car town as is Centinario, there you can get parts from all over including Guadalajara and there are many junk yards and of course many shops. Parts are often from California but can be brought down.

If you are bring your cars down and selling them to another person one on one, US Resident to US Resident there are no special regulations or requirement for working visa only for a commercial business.

There is a special registration from the DMV for a round trip or one way trip for this type of situation. I've done it before and it cost $15 for a round trip anywhere you want to go, both being transported and driven.
There

I don't think you are going to find many parts for "classic late 60's Triumph cars" in LaPaz, Centinario or Guadlajara........but I could be wrong.

" I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise."......................gonna need an FM-2 or FM-3 allowing employment.

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 11:39 AM

Horsepower Ranch, on the outskirts of Ensenada has a full service shop that has started doing car restorations. They were formerly strictly an off road shop as part of Wide Open Baja Tours, but business changes have taken them in a different direction. I don't have contact info but you can probably find them of the web and begin your queries.

Maybe you can work a deal where you work on the cars at their shop? Who knows?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 12:45 PM

this is a BAD idea...

there is NO support for parts in baja for these

i would stay in the states for these restoration projects
at least then you would have places for supplies

there are very few triumphs left in california still running let alone in baja

i've had triumphs and mg's and sunbeams...you need supplies for restorations of cars not manufactured anymore

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 01:11 PM

try owning an aircraft built in 1961. It is a constant restoration project no matter where you fly.
and of course once the factory [Piper in my case] orphans the model you have ZERO parts support.
Piper orphaned the Comanche line in 1974 effectively and then permanently when it went BK and reorganized later as New Piper Corp.

Parts are ridiculously priced when you can find them - usually salvage yards as there is no NOS around. I just paid $250 for a 6 X 6:00 split wheel assy. ouch....

i can only imagine what you'd have working on old British cars in baja...

Maybe Sid in Mulege could do it!!?? hahahaha.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 02:24 PM
Jonny's Auto Service in Rosarito

We have been customers of Jonny for many years and over that time I have seen several classic cars in his lot. I know that some people use him to fix up old cars and then sell them on eBay.

He speaks English (his mechanics, not so much).

Phone number (from U.S. to Mexico): [52] 661 612 1033

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reas
Thanks folks :)

Just to clarify on Andrews behalf, he will be doing all the work himself. He is a rare breed that can do upholstery/body/engine/electrical/mechanical

Perhaps you would explain the ramifications of competing with the local tradesmen in these fields [and there are many]....if he doesn't already know. [I'm assuming that he's less than legal to do these things]
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 04:48 PM

If he is working on his own cars he is not "competing" with the locals.

The big problem I see with this is getting parts you need quickly. It may take a very long time, and cost a lot more than it would have in California.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 05:12 PM

The plus side of the restoration thing, the local mechanics are real good at FIXING things the general public most often don't have the funds to Replace parts like they do in the U.S.

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by J.P.]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
If he is working on his own cars he is not "competing" with the locals.

true enough. I was only going by his request: "I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise."

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by DENNIS]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 05:51 PM
FORGET RESTORE WHILE IN BAJA !!!

:lol::lol::lol: ARE YA NUTS!!!
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:04 PM

For setting up a shop for restoration work the San Quintin area might work out well. You're only 4 hours from the border so going up to San Diego to get parts etc would be easy. Crossing the border in either direction with a trailered vehicle is no problem.

Unless you want to work for 2 or 3 dollars an hour there probably won't be too many employment options. There is a gringo in the area who does auto repair but he is married to a mexican and has been acclimated into the community for 25 years.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car,

If the work was very high quality, I could see this as a good border town enterprise, drawing customers from the north, but that isn't the case here.
Anyway.....good luck.

I didn't see Bajadixons post before putting this up. I think we have similar ideas.
Sorry about that BD.

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by DENNIS]
gt6pilot

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 01:14 AM

Hello Guys, thanks so much for all the input, I am now able to post myself, so just to clarify a few points,

I am not looking to compete with the locals for work, I have the cars and will do most of the work myself, and likely sub out paint/body to a local craftsman.

I have been working on/ restoring these and other cars for well over 20 years and I do very high quality work, I became very disillusioned with the cost and quality of any work I had to sublet out in the US.

To do a proper restoration takes time, patience and attention to detail and of course a certain amount of ability. I want to be able to work at my own pace do the work right without the constraints of ridiculous overheads

I do have a 20 year accumulation of parts for these cars and new parts can be ordered easily and then brought across the border.

I am looking at relocating from the UK/US to Baja and I want to do it properly so that I do not have the problems I had in the States, I will post a new thread about that topic.

I will be there on a vacation/fact finding trip in a few weeks and am so looking forward to it.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 06:36 AM

Once you are settled in a place nd get to know the local mechanics, you will find theyhave a great interest in all classic cars. I have a classic and do most of my own work. Iget invited to any car related events and locals know me by my rides. Local mech. Volunteer to loan me tools, take parts to check fit, offer advice etc - there is a car community that support each other. Bring all your parts and tools, find a secure place to work and your dream can happen.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 06:43 AM
GET A GRIP !!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
:lol::lol::lol: ARE YA NUTS!!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.