Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bad news checkpoint south of EL Rosario
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 08:27 PM
Bad news checkpoint south of EL Rosario

Firday I was headed north from Loreto with Ann O'Neil (84 years old, 30 year BCS resident, author of the History of Loreto) when we were pulled over at a Federale check point south of El Rosario. Two men in desert-camo (and not the drab green of all the others at the checkpoint) came at us with ATTITUDES! One waved a tarantula on a stick in our open windor (poor tarantula) to intimidate us. My 13-year-old Australian Shepard went nuts, barking, at which point these two men began screaming at us "GET OUT, GET OUT!!" I told Ann to stay put, while I leashed the dog and got out from beind the wheel. These guys were obviously on SOMETHING! The one on my side then said in no uncertain terms he was going to slit my dog's throat. He then demanded I open the back of the truck camper and he proceeded to rip apart my very well-equipped 4-drawer first-aid cabinet. Nothing else. In the meantime, Ann politely explained to the other guy if he wanted her out, he would have to lift her, since she was 84. In our collective 50 years of living in Baja California Sur, never have either of us been so assaulted! We were glad when they turned their attention to the next vehicle as we got our of there as fast as we could. These guys could easily kill someone! They werre on some other planet! Kirk Connally
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 09:29 PM

We were just thru there about ten days ago with no problem...wonder if Bajacactus knows the upshot?
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 10:13 PM

We rolled thru that same checkpoint about 3 in the morning southbound one time and the guys gave us super heebie jeebies. They were listening to M&M and seemed to me that they were tweaking. Not that I'd know anything about that being in the fire svc. for almost 20 years. Kids and guns.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 06:49 AM

That's ironic if true.....and worrisome. Wonder if our government, who subsidizes those checkpoints, would be interested.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:04 AM

Do you think they were 'disposing' of some confiscated materials?

In the words of Jeff Spicolli, "Hey dude, let's party"

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 07:06 AM

I was there friday morning...
All OK ALL Business
no problems....
bob:yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:35 AM

They were as nice as could be when we came through before noon several weeks ago. Gave all the guys cold sodas. They kept us there a while though as there was no traffic and they were probably bored.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:42 AM
I've been through their new location

you are referring to on numerous occasions. I have never seen anything like what you are describing unless provoked by an arrogant attitude.
Doesn't seem like you guys would have had one !
Most unusual indeed and should be investigated if they are using drugs as suggested.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 09:55 AM

I think that experience should be reported to as many entities as possible - hopefully will curtail any further behavior of that type. Really weird.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 10:42 AM
I recommend for the future

if this happens to anyone else, no matter where or which agency, you get their names and badge numbers if applicable.
Also, time, date, and location are extremely important.

[Edited on 10/19/2004 by jrbaja]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 12:58 PM

I would love to know who runs that checkpoint, since only the military and immigration have the authority ( by law) to stop and search vehicles, these guys are definately not military and if they are out there doing that stuff, need to be reported to the proper authorities.

If anybody has more info, please come forward so we can place a nice complaint with the federal attorney general office.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 01:16 PM
They're military Jesse

They just moved their checkpoint a little further south. And it is becoming more common to see both styles of uniforms at the revisions although in the south, the grey ones seem to be more popular.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
They just moved their checkpoint a little further south. And it is becoming more common to see both styles of uniforms at the revisions although in the south, the grey ones seem to be more popular.

Very well, you can file a complaint directly with the defense secretary:

http://tramilnet.sedena.gob.mx/portal/quejas/quejas01.php

If anybody needs help, let me know.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 06:25 PM

Anybody have that cool article posted by David Eidell (years ago, on Amigos) that descibes all the brances of uniformed people in Mexico, their uniforms, including what they drive? If I find it, I will post... It was written by Carl of People's Guide fame, I think...?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 10:40 AM

At this checkpoint yesterday, my brother did not have the presence of mind to keep his digital camera on him when they "searched" the car and when we stopped in San Quentin, no camera to be found.... so beware!!!!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 11:02 AM
Jide

coming from you, it's a little more believable than anonymous postings. This is serious and needs to be stopped.
According to Jesse, something can be done about it and I recommend doing so.
Date, time, make of camera, and any other pertinent info. needs to be disclosed and I'm pretty sure something will be done about it.
Also, check real good in the car again.
David K
Honored Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-20-2004 at 11:08 AM
Visitors Guide to Mexican Police (I found it)

This was sent to me some time ago, originally posted on the Amigos board by David Eidell. The email was originally from Carlos Barragan. Jide, I know you personally and thus know this theft to be a fact. I will post this guide seperately as well...
------------------------------------------------------
A Visitor's Guide To M?xican Police

Ej?rcito M?xicano (M?xican Army)

The army has been charged with civil protection, fish and game patrols (land and fresh water), conservation and fire fighting duties. Regional regiments are commanded by One-Star General officers. Subsidiaries of the regiment are called "Batallons" (Battalions). Officers and enlisted men are stationed a minimum of one thousand miles from their home to avoid collusion and conflicts of interest. Army personnel are usually dressed in camouflage uniforms. They transport with Mercedes deuce and a half trucks and patrol in American General manufactured Hum Vee vehicles. Belgian FN. 7.62 mm. automatic rifles are the mainstay of the troop armament. Browning .30 caliber M6A1 machine guns are used to arm sandbag reinforced positions monitoring rural roads in narcotics transport areas. The army cannot prosecute civilians directly. Suspects are remanded to federal or state police custody for further processing.

Armada M?xicano (M?xican Navy)

Navy duties are similar to those of the army. Naval patrols also assist ships and boats in distress. Fifteen hundred ton Frigates are the mainstays of the blue water fleet while multiple (outboard) engines open craft patrol shorelines and estuaries. The former is equipped with 3" 50 cal. Naval cannon, Browning M2A1 .50 cal. machine guns and hand weapons. The later uses Browning .30 caliber air-cooled machine guns. Naval personnel dress in dark blue uniforms. The Armada is saddled with the responsibility of fish and game enforcement. M?xican land transport vehicles are similar to those that the army uses except they are light gray in color.

Polic?a Judic?al Federal (PJF)

Thirty one regional command?nte officers each supervise a minimum of six Capit?ns who in turn supervise a minimum of sixty subordinates. A cadre of "home office" command?nte officers is at the disposal of the Command?nte Primer, who is based in M?xico City. The Command?nte Primer is directly under the Secret?ria de Gobernacion, an appointed cabinet minister. The Secretaria de Gobernacion is generally regarded as the second most powerful position in Mexican government (right after the president). The federal police are charged with enforcing M?xico's most serious criminal laws including "Gr?nde Del?tos Feder?les" which is the same as "Federal Felonies" (murder, drugs, bank robbery).

Federal police officers prefer two modes of dress? all black for operations and similar to prosperous Texas cattle ranchers (cowboy boots and all). Armament consists of Browning Automatic Rifles, UZI 5.56 mm. machine guns, Ingram MAC 10, 9 mm. machine pistols, and heavily decorated Colt 45 caliber handguns. Command?nte and Capit?n officers prefer to drive new Chevrolet Suburbans with heavily tinted windows. Rank and file Feder?les sometimes drive confiscated automobiles without bothering to remove U.S. license plates. Federale task forces cruise the roads in battered station wagons and pickup trucks.

Official identification consists of a badge and photo Identification card. When flipped open the silver badge will occupy the right flap. The badge is in the form of a shield with the inscription: POLIC?A FEDERAL. Above the inscription is a nine-digit badge number. The photo ID has the officers mug in the lower right corner. The officer's name, district, and badge number is printed on the bulk of the card. Shadowed in, in large Arial background print are the words "POLIC?A LA REP?BLICA". In a working crew of eight police officers only one will have an identification badge and photo ID.

M?xican Secret Service

The official title of appointed field agents is: Sub Deleg?do Federal Para Investigacion Nacion?l y Seguridad de la Rep?blica. Formerly called the Federal Security Directorate (DFS). Agent's responsibilities include spying on opposition political parties, infiltrating, and counter-subversion of dissident political factions, and labor union groups. Security officers normal dress is prosperous businessmen's attire. Their armament consists of weapons similar to those of the Federal Police. Their badge is a shield with the motto "Seguridad Nacion?l". Secret Service agents prefer new Dodge Cirrus (unmarked) sedans, with a radio antenna on the roof. M?xican secret service agents are at the whim of each 6-year federal administration. Many manage to stay on from term-to-term. The Secretaria de Gobernacion is the Federal administrative head of field agents.

Polic?a Federal de Caminos y Puentes

Federal Highway Patrol. Tired four-cylinder Dodge Aries and Mustang patrol cars are being replaced with the much more popular full-size Ford 8-cylinder sedans. Patrol cars are black and white, with a red and blue strobe lamp overhead light bar. Uniforms consist of brown pants and a khaki shirt. Usually armed with a 9-mm automatic.

Polic?a de Hacienda

Treasury cops. Blue and silver Dodge Ram pickups and Dodge Cirrus sedans. Blue and red overhead light bar. Dark blue pants with light blue shirt. Treasury cops intercept smuggled merchandice and arrest the participants. They are usually found near M?xico's international, borders and shipping ports. Armed with 9-mm automatics and shotguns.

Polic?a del Est?dal (PJE)

State police officers. Plain-clothed. Armed with every conceivable type of weapon. Envious of the prestige of the more elite PJF. Identification consists of a photo ID and a star or shield badge depending on the state. State cops love to cruise around in new Dodge Ram pickup trucks occasionally with six heavily armed officers perched on the bed rails. Armament takes the form of a 9-mm. or .38 caliber sidearm.

Trans?tos

Traffic cops are usually attired in brown garb and they drive regulation patrol automobiles with overhead light bars, and police identification markings on the door. Their armament consists of a revolver or semi-automatic handgun. Uniforms are usually light brown (Transitos are referred to as "tamarindos").

Ejid?ros

A ragtag assortment of civilians that are members of an Ejido. Their powers are limited and they are considered little more than an ill-trained and equipped rural police auxiliary. Transportation is via anything with wheels, usually with a Kojak bubble gum light on the roof. Many Ejideros have firearms but most cannot afford ammunition.

Note:

It is a serious violation of federal law for a plain-clothed officer to refuse to show proper identification when asked to do so.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 01:18 PM
report it

if this hapens to any body report it Please.

Bruce in Mulege Baja

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 01:23 PM

I posted the link on the "file a complaint" section on the Mexican Defense secretary website.

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 05:11 PM
El Rosario...

What happened to you guys cannot passed without notice... you must file a complaint so they punished whoever is responsible... and most importantly.... get those mililary guys out of there...

I will be in El Rosario in the next few days....

I will do my best effort to get the names of the ones in duty when you passed thru there, so you may file a direct complaint....

I will also try to get the name of the commandant in charge during those days.

Please help me giving more info like the exact date, time of day you passed thru, etc., and any other description you believe important.

[Edited on 10-21-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.