Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  21
Author: Subject: Help needed at Punta Cono Photos added
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 07:55 AM
Help needed at Punta Cono Photos added

I am camped on the beach at El Cardon about 22 miles north of Santa Rosalilita and I rode my quad up to Punta Cono to do a little fishing and I came accross a 30' trimaran sail boat on the beach with a family of 5 with all their stuff out of the boat and on the rocks and beach around the boat. They have been there for 2 weeks. Mario Mcleach has been up there to try to help but not much can be done. They need some dry goods like frour, rice, beans fresh water, vegetables, carrots apples oranges etc. They have no refrigeration so only items that will hold up without refrigeration. If anyone is coming this way in the next couple of weeks or so.
I set up a Starband unit on the beach here so that is how I am able to get on line. I am going back up there this morn to take some supplies that we can spare. I'll take some pictures and try to post them but I am having trouble getting them off my camera and onto this computer. They are on the beach right at Punta Cono where the beach ends and the rocks start.
Larry

Here they are high and dry.

This is their camp on the beach

Their stuff on the rocks

On the brighter side, some of the Halibut we caught

[Edited on 8-14-2012 by larryC]

[Edited on 8-14-2012 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 08:03 AM

Larry...what are they waiting for? Is someone coming down for them & their stuff? What is their plan? Is there anything else we can help with like contacting someone for them?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 08:08 AM

Are they going to try and get the boat back into the water ? Do they need someone to call for help in the States ? Giving food/water is for now but what do they really need to solve their dilemna ?

they need that SPOT device that Mike Younghusband had which alerts as to emergency !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 08:25 AM

Haven't there been any army patrols to flag down for help?

Is boat stuck or damaged?

What about help from Santa R.?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 08:30 AM

using ePERB??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:38 AM
Punta Cono on AAA map

These maps are from the Mike Younghusband and Don Kay walk down Baja, but show a close up of where Punta Cono is, in relation to Hwy. 1 in central Baja.

Punta Cono South:

Punta Cono North:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:10 AM

LARRY PLEASE GET VESSEL AND FAMILY NAME. PHOTOS NOT IMPORTANT

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 02:02 PM

Rice? Beans? Is this a Mexican rig? The reason I ask is that if it is a foreign flag sail boat calling the U.S. Coast Guard office in San Diego would lead to them telephoning the Mexican Armada, the navy in Ensenada. It may be the very fastest way of getting things done. I wish I had read a description of the craft, the nationality of the marooned, etc. Oh well, at least they are being helped.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 03:56 PM

don't they have proper radios?? are they not prepared to be cruising? are they not under rescue by now???
this seems weird...

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 04:10 PM
I agree with you mike..

that said ..we will just have to wait for more news..In my small mind if there kids envoled you at a min. need a EPRIB and SSB would be an asset..but I won't armchair!! hopefully soon more news....(good)...K & T:cool:

[Edited on 8-9-2012 by captkw]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 05:41 PM

Hi all, I'll try to ans all the questions, but my info is limited. Their names are William and Layla, they didn't give me last names. They are from the Los Angeles area and were sailing at night and tried to pull into the lee of Cono to anchor and spend the night but grounded and put a crack in the main hull. They beached the boat and unloaded all their stuff on the beach. They were there a week before some one saw them. They don't want to leave the boat for fear that it will be stripped. They don't have a house in the US, so the boat is all they have. It appears to be a fairly low budget operation. William has hopes of repairing the boat and sailing some where fro repairs. The boat needs to be jacked up a couple of feet to gain access to the bottom of the hull so that some plywood and caulking can be screwed on and seal the hole. I am not confident that this is possible where they are now. When we found them they were in need of water and food and determined to stay with the boat so that is why I asked if anyone else coming this way might be able to bring something. I asked if they wanted me to contact any one for them and William gave me his brothers email address, although the brother is in Germany so help from him is unlikely. They don't need rescuing right now they just might need some supplies from someone coming to this area. They have set up camp on the beach, there were no injuries so they are fine for now.
I didn't see a name on the vessel but the # is CF 7048 FH. They are US citizens, when the vessel flooded they lost their electrical so radios are useless.
On the lighter side the Halibut fishing was excellent up there so we will be going back in the morn and I will try to get more info.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Nemo55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 06:50 PM
My first post and it has to be this one,,,ahhh well....

I have past along this information to my cohorts on Cruisers Forum it is possible that someone may be able to ride to the rescue.
Keep up the great work guy's..
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 07:20 PM

Wouldn't there be someone in Santa R. who could do repairs? Those panga guys should be able to patch this.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:48 PM

I really like the way DK posted maps from Mike Younghusbands trip to avoid the ridicule and scorn from the surfers for posting a map of the "secret coast". Way to go DK, you're learning:lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:29 PM
SORRY THERE IS NO SECRETS OR LOST COAST

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:33 PM
TRI

BET ITS A BROWNING OR PIVER TRI !! LATE 60'S TO 70'S TRI MADE OF PLYWOOD OVER LAID WITH MATTED FIBER GLASS..NOT GOOD IN THE LONG RUN !! K&T:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I really like the way DK posted maps from Mike Younghusbands trip to avoid the ridicule and scorn from the surfers for posting a map of the "secret coast". Way to go DK, you're learning:lol::lol:

Hey, who said anything about that being a surfing area??? Shame on YOU, DT! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:59 PM
SSHHH !! NOAA HASNT SEEN THIS !! LOL

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 06:23 AM

I said "secret coast" DK, not surfing area.....now you've done it, we are probably both in trouble now.....:rolleyes:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 07:34 AM

Larry

can you take some pics of Layla for us
 Pages:  1    3  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.