Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 08:43 PM

I'd say they're safe as of now.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 08:57 PM

I hope they arent camped in an arroyo....many people dont realize some of those nice sandy camp spots are because it's an arroyo.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 09:21 PM

Yes, to know they're in safe harbor would be so good.
They're on my mind increasingly as the weather reports turn more serious for the coastal area.

As to the lay of the land and the law of nature here in Baja, it really takes personal experience to gain the educated eye to read the land. For example, I was driving Mex-1 with a newcomer to Baja. She has yet to experience a hurricane or see the desert inundated with rain. She remarked how beautiful it is right now down in the arroyos which are filled with greenery and flowers. Then she asked why the highway was cut up on the sides of the mountains when it would be so much simpler to have built the highway in the naturally meandering arroyos. I simply explained that when it rains here in the desert those arroyos run fast with flash floods! No further explanation was needed and hope she is forever spared the direct experience.

I surely hope that beautiful family is in a safe harbor...

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I hope they arent camped in an arroyo....many people dont realize some of those nice sandy camp spots are because it's an arroyo.

Shari---they are camped on a nice elevated sandy beach in the most sheltered spot you could be at Cono----no worries there unless they take a direct hit. Their tents, on the other hand, aren't very strong---we left them ours but it was a cheapy as well...there might be a fisherman's shack or two which they could get into out there, or of course their boat, in the event of hard rain and some wind.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2012 at 06:25 AM

thanks for that Mexitron...boy, a shipwreck and a hurricaine...starting to sound like my sailing adventure!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Good thing that photo of them picking up a live turtle isn't on Nomad... annoying the wildlife ...

David,
It would be my guess that the turtle was dead. It's eyes looked whited out, it's flippers and neck hanging loose. All of the live turtles I come across while on my paddle board can't get away from me fast enough. I've snuck up on a few, but they dart away speedy quick as soon as they notice me. I can't imagine one letting a panga pull up on it and be lifted out of the water.
That was a great report.

P>*)))>{

No dead turtles. She was alive and well and still is. She is a local to Bahia de los Angeles. Laid her eggs about a week before that. Turtles sun themselves and the shell starts to dry out, sometimes leaving an air pocket underneath. Makes them easy to catch and is part of the reason why they end up on the menu. I grew up saving sea turtles in Los Cabos. (Asupmatoma) is my godfathers reservation. Sorry if anyone was offended

[Edited on 9-27-2012 by Mateo-Feo]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateo-Feo

No dead turtles. She was alive and well and still is. She is a local to Bahia de los Angeles. Laid her eggs about a week before that.
[Edited on 9-27-2012 by Mateo-Feo]

Good to know, thanks for the reply. As I said before, great report. It looks like you found the right (baja)girl. Congrats on your wedding and many years of Baja together.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
degoma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 10:42 PM

We sent a care package to William and Lea with friends who were going to camp near Pta. Cono. They delivered the package on Friday September 14th.

The have just returned and here is what they report:

When we arrived at the Trimaran we saw the kids splashing and playing in the water; Lea was with them. The boat was completely out of the water and there were two Mexicans on the deck. We asked them where William was and they pointed into the boat. William came out and we introduced ourselves. He said the patching on the hull was all finished and in a few days they should be ready to go [into the water?]. Everyone seemed happy. They were very appreciative of the care package.

That’s it; there was no mention of where they might be going. The fish camp is in operation now so there should be plenty of help to get the boat back in the water. I would think the fisherman would warn William if a hurricane was threatening. For what it’s worth I gave William the hurricane lecture when we were there. I advised them to seek shelter higher up in the boulders if it got really knarly.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2012 at 06:15 AM

Awesome---hope they got out of there...and I hope they let us know where they end up.
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 08:07 AM

I wish I was stuck on that beach....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 06:26 AM

Bump....any news if they got out of there?
timmurphy

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 07:39 PM
cono gypsies

just got back....they are still there...a stupid ,sad,and pitiful situation.Forget the romantic notions of being "free spirits".It is just plain ludicrous.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 07:51 PM

Did they complete the repair to the hull?

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by timmurphy
just got back....they are still there...a stupid ,sad,and pitiful situation.Forget the romantic notions of being "free spirits".It is just plain ludicrous.

Tim
Can you be a little more descriptive? What is ludicrous about their situation. Are they even trying to get the boat back in the water? Are they getting any help from the locals that are at the fish camps? I know the weather is going to start getting worse and getting much colder and some larger surf is most likly on the way, hope they didn't miss their window of opportunity.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 08:07 AM

These people are "professional" freeloaders. They are NOT trying to repair boat and sail on. This is home until people stop bringing them stuff. Only then will they move and do the same thing again somewhere else.
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
These people are "professional" freeloaders. They are NOT trying to repair boat and sail on. This is home until people stop bringing them stuff. Only then will they move and do the same thing again somewhere else.

Wow!! that would suck if true. There was some good "nomad" peeps that went out of there way to help these folks..what a shame.

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:21 AM

Yeah I got this impression as well
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:45 AM

and the children... what about them?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:45 AM

I can imagine much better situations to be freeloaders.

Please Tim, as Larry said, more info would help.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
and the children... what about them?

Their learning!
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.