BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: California DMV....KMA!!!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 10:42 AM

interesting. so what does the dmv require of proof of residency? if you live completely off grid and have no address (other than 2nd to the last house in campo so and so) are you just out of luck?:?:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 11:44 AM

GNU kid. Care to come to the DMV with me and my INMIGRADO credencial? Care to hear them say NO! ? I am tired of them saying NO! No insurance, no license plates. Suspended registration without a PNO.

Logic is based on reality.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 04:58 PM

this is excellent information, gnukid. wish we had known this before.

now: we have mexican plates. mexican driver's licenses. mexican insurance which also covers U.S.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 06:42 AM
Anyone have a update??

Hola,any news on this dmv smog thing and reg ?? K&T:cool:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 06:52 AM
A Show of Hands ?

It would be interesting to take a poll among those happily evading CA registration who ARE at the same time, decrying the condition of services in the state and are in favor of the various Tax proposals on the CA ballot to try and dig the State out of the hole that it's in.
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 07:20 AM

Just curious as to why you continue to pay registration for vehicles that are kept in Baja? I took my jeep south 5 years ago, came home and non oped it. I get my insurance down there, when it is time to bring it home I can get a travel permit then deal with it.. If it ever comes back to California. Just curious am I missing something
PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 07:22 AM

Vehicles that spend 6 mos. in Mexico are required to be imported.
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 07:42 AM

Never heard that one. I was led to believe that they want some form of plate on all vehicles. Old, new, expired. Never been bothered by the military check points or any body. Just keep my registration with me to prove it belongs to me, not saying it is right but has worked for me. My understanding is two counties are exempt, Lake County and Imperial County. There might be more. Since I have a place in Lake County also all of my vehicles are registered out of there, plus lower tax rate. All is good. I'm on my way south in a couple weeks ..
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 08:41 AM

Great information ......I'll pass this on to a buddy down south of San Felipe. I am sure he will be able to comprehend it. Txs 4 this again.

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
For those of you with cars in baja who don't want to give up your CA registration, you can be exempted from the smog check by presenting the following pages from the CA smog exemption regs either to the DMV or AAA if you have it. I've done it four years running with no problems, just make sure you print the pages, fill out form 256 and take them with you.

The applicable reg is on page 12, under section 10.030, paragraph "Vehicles Located Outside California".

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch10_RENEWALS.pdf

The only exceptions are for cars located in Tijuana and Tecate.

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by danaeb]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 11:05 AM

My CA-registered car is due again in May 2013. I'm also sick of paying $900 / year for California liability insurance that I can't use in Mexico.

I'm already smog exempt ('84 diesel).

I have a friend with an address I can use in Washington. I'm also curious about South Dakota.

Is there an easy way to deal with this problem? I have a few months to ponder.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WideAngleWandering
I'm also sick of paying $900 / year for California liability insurance

That must be Pesos. Either that or you ran through a crosswalk full of school kids.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola,any news on this dmv smog thing and reg ?? K&T:cool:

I'll throw my 2 cents in here - for about the last 5 or 6 years I have gone to the San Clemente, CA, Auto Club and renewed the registration on my '93 Chev PU which spends most of it's time in Mulege, BCS, MX. I simply fill out a statement of fact, pay the registration fee and walk out with the new registration and sticker - no smog check needed. I take my FM-3 and a Baja map but have never been asked to show any proof so I don't even show the FM-3 or map. Can't say the process is as simple elsewhere but it works fine for me. Jim
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 03:09 PM

I have a 92 Geo Tracker and I paid $27 for the first year and less for renewal. And I look like one of the Permanent South Dakota residents.

Sure seems like a better solution than another person here in the same town who did an importation, Mexican Drivers License, Mexican insurance, and the whole thing for a similar vehicle and spent clost to $2900.

I used to pay $55 a year for Colorado Plates, but now I think I like the looks of the South Dakota Plates.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 05:31 PM
ca DMV =cash cow !!

in capatola ca. near santa cruz ca. is a dmv office .. its across the street from my machinest..and brinks truck stops by everday !! and I myslf have never heard of a insurance firm in going bankrupt !!! so I'am looking at all options and being I live in two country's !! Hell 1 year I had a fishing lic. for mex. ariz.{colo.riv} calif. alaska. and BC all except alaska were none resadent's = dent ya !! LOL..nothing wrong with trying to not get doulbe dinged !! .............K&T:cool:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 10:58 PM
any news/updates on ca. reg??

just looking for any latest news on smog,reg info ??
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 08:01 AM

I have a 83 truck that never leaves my place here in Baja. Ca wanted me to have ins. pay a couple hundred in reg fees and smog the truck. I called Clay county, they sent me a South Dakota owners cert, and registration for $60 a year. No South Dakota address was necessary. The registration shows my San Diego address. This works for me cause the truck stays in Baja. If I was to get caught driving the truck in Ca. I'd get a ticket.
Works for me but may not work for anyone else.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 12:56 PM
LarryC

Hola,,ca. wants there money !!! and the "law" is if your ca. for more than 15 days they want you to reg. the car in calif.. so thanks for the info...Im need more info about having mex insurnce for a year and see what DMV does...? my machinest is accross the street from a DMV office in capatola ca. and a brink's truck stops bay daily !!!! Big,big bucks for reg in CA. and I'd rather give my money away other ways !!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola,,ca. wants there money !!! and the "law" is if your ca. for more than 15 days they want you to reg. the car in calif.. so thanks for the info... and I'd rather give my money away other ways !!

yeah, being habitually 14-20 BILLION in debt does that to a state!:barf:

[Edited on 11-11-2012 by woody with a view]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Just curious as to why you continue to pay registration for vehicles that are kept in Baja? I took my jeep south 5 years ago, came home and non oped it. I get my insurance down there, when it is time to bring it home I can get a travel permit then deal with it.. If it ever comes back to California. Just curious am I missing something

Your insurance may be invalid for a non op vehicle and what do you do for a sticker?
I did this myself for am few years in the 80's and used my boat trailer sticker on the truck. Didn't realize the insurance issue.

[Edited on 11-11-2012 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 07:11 PM
form 256 DMV

ok went to dmv and got the form..but as b&S pointed out It says "nevada & mexico exceptions ????? ony one have a clue ??...K&T
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.