BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: California DMV....KMA!!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 07:39 PM
Here ya go, Capt

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
ok went to dmv and got the form..but as b&S pointed out It says "nevada & mexico exceptions ????? ony one have a clue ??...K&T

Biennial Smog Inspection Program
(CVC §4000.3 and H&SC 44011)

A smog certification is not required when a vehicle is located outside of California.

•The registered owner must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) orsubmit a letter explaining that the vehicle is located out of state.

•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:

Original Smog Certification within One Year
Motive Power Corrections
Vehicles Located outside California

Nevada:

•Carson City
•Centerville
•Crystal Bay
•Gardnerville
•Genoa
•Glenbrook
•Incline Village
•Minden
•Reno
•Sparks
•Stateline
•Stewart
•Washoe City
•Verdi
•Zephyr Cove

Mexico:

•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 08:25 PM
thanks

where is verdie ??? sounds like something out a spagittee cowboy movie !!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
where is verdie ??? sounds like something out a spagittee cowboy movie !!

Verdi......just west of Reno on I-80

spagittee....spaghetti (a type of pasta dish)

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 08:35 PM
OK,OK Im sleepi........

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 05:00 AM
gooday!!!

does ca dmv form 256 exclude smog if you car/truck is in BCS ?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 06:05 AM

When in Mexico full time how does a person receive registration and license plates?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 06:14 AM
morning david

I would guess you could have friend do the paper work with apower of attorney !! dont know !! It's harder than ever to deal with "the motherland" ca DMV is out of control IMO and almost thinking of running two plates on my car !! 1.mex &1.ca whats your thoughts on that ?? LOL K&T....:lol:
bombero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 07:23 AM
dmv

I,v had a nissan suv in the Muleje area for 6 years. Each time I go to Ca dmv for renewal it,s always the same.First the counter person. their supervisor, then the next supervisor I start the same drawn-out procedure. I tell then to look up the veh reg manual sect 27.150. I fill out a statement of facts declaring the vehicle is 600 miles south in Baja and to never be driven in Cal. They demand a Mexican insurance card, I tell them Mexico doesn,t issure "cards" and show then my Mexicans ins papers. They have to get another supervisor to look at the papers.I tell them 80,000 or more Mexican vehicles cross ther ca border each day and no one ask for Ins cards! My address on the registration is Loten 13 Parcela#64 Punta Chivato Municipio Demulege BCS Mexico 23920. The renewal notice is "most of the time is sent to Mulege. I keep a copy of the reg at home in ca to use for renewal. The harder part is remembering the renewal date. I missed it by day 1 day last year and it went for $93 to $132. "Caution" Obama Care will be 10 times less efficent!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
does ca dmv form 256 exclude smog if you car/truck is in BCS ?

•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:

Mexico:

•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

It would appear to me that if you are NOT in the above three areas, you do not need an emissions (SMOG) test/certificate to register your vehicle when it is in Baja

[Edited on 11-16-2012 by bajaguy]

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 01:02 PM

What I SHOULD have asked if SOUTH DAKOTA can somehow mail license plates to a Mexican Post office...

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 01:16 PM

Any US plates will be fine! SD, HI, MS, etc.:yes:
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
What I SHOULD have asked if SOUTH DAKOTA can somehow mail license plates to a Mexican Post office...

When I got my plates years ago, I was told I would have to have a US Mailing address, which I do. I have been using that same address for all the renewals, through the years, without any problems. My rental for a box in Calexico is $25 US a YEAR.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 10:12 PM

I visited the DMV today, my vehicles have my BCS address, city, state and postal code, By having that info there are automatically exempt and there is no requirement for the statement of facts exemption form. No problem, the agent does not require me to cite the law, because the only requirement is the fee. Even though I have Mexican INS I also add the cars with minimal annual mileage 1000 to my USA ins coversge which for some reason is no additional cost so the cars are noted as having two reported polices. I had the printout ready of the law but it wasn't needed. It is also possible for the garage location to be BCS and to have the mailing address be another address, you can enter this online or tell the agent to do this BEFORE you ask to pay. By noting te BCS address the rate is far less since you don't pay CA hiway taxes. Once the stickers were even mailed to me in Baja to my house even though I don't have numbers or a mailbox.

Today the lady at the DMV noticed that the renewals were late, one four months late, and she offered to waive the late fee for both vehicles because the DMV has given some leeway for waiver of late fees she said I should set a birthday email app for each cars renewel birthday in advance of the expiration and then I would get a reminder to pay it in advance (since mail doesn't always arrive in Baja) and ask they send it to me or a family/friend to carry down. Total cost for each vehicle is under $100. CA DMV also recognizes mexico insurance, even liability only policies. Nice lady! The bad part, I waited 3 hours but since they have numbers I estimated the time frame and went to the Mexican consulate during the waiting period, the consulate agent wasn't there since he needed time to go home and study the new law, he might not come in on Monday or all next week either said the Consul rep? You may want to call for an appt to the DMV and the Consulate if you plan to visit.

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by gnukid]
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
My California truck Regs is due in Sept. ,,,Talked to Cathy from Clay county on the 23rd of July.. Mailed out the required paperwork and a check for 75$'s on the 25th.

Today I received my South Dakota Lic Plates and Registration...:biggrin:

California DMV........take the 250$ registration and smog requirement and Kiss My A$$........

Heading home in the morning..........about time!!!

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by surfdoc]

I use to register my vehicles in California (I live in San Felipe) by going to the DMV with my renewal form and a one day insurance policy for California. My tags were a little cheaper cuz I told them I lived in Baja and they said I didn't have to pay county fees part of the bill. Then a few years ago, the lady at the counter handed me my tags and said they would expire in one month unless I got an insurance company that can notify them online. I asked to my check back. I was handed a form to submit to get the fees back. I send it that form to Sacramento, and my paperwork for registering all my vehicles in South Dakota. I received my SD license plates before my California DMV refund. Yes, great new law they passed to:
1. Lose revenue for my 3 vehicles
2. Create more revenue for SD.
3. Save me a bunch of money each year
3. Allows me to also say CA DMV KMA.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 11:46 AM

If it's any help, here is the FR (insurance) section of the CA DMV code. Note there are many vehicle types that do not require proof and if the DMV registration has your Baja address and you have a resident visa then your baja insurance is a valid and acceptad proof of insurance.

Renewal Notices (CVC §1661), continued
• If an owner does not receive a renewal notice, there may be an incorrect address or a Notice of Release of Liability on record in error.
— An address change/correction may be processed in conjunction with the renewal.
• A Notice of Release of Liability (NRL) that is on the record in error must be removed by the department.
— A Statement of Facts (REG 256) must be completed explaining that the NRL is on the record in error and submitted with the registration fees to complete processing of the renewal.
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.

• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:

Excluded Vehicles
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • Vehicles registered under planned non-operation status
Acceptable FR for renewals, continued
NOTE: The department will suspend, cancel, or revoke the registration of a vehicle when false evidence of financial responsibility has been submitted or when the insurance company notifies the department that the policy was cancelled and a sufficient period of time has elapsed for replacement coverage.
Commercially Insured Vehicles
Excluded Vehicles

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by gnukid]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 12:38 PM

When I tried this last January, the woman at window 11 smiled at me and said "No". It wsn't about the gross polluter smog category of my older car which passed every year way below the max limits, it was the five hundred ninety dollar a year minimum PLPD insurance for a driver who has never had a ticket or accident. I am supposed to pay seven hundred sixty five dollars a year for an 18-year old car. Oh, yeah, I did start over. Another two hours. The gray haired gentleman handed me a sheath of papers to be filled out and sent to Sacramento. This was done and a check was sent by certified mail. Sacramento cashed my eighty two dollar check and sent back a slip of paper ***REGISTRATION INCOMPLETE*** and no tags.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 02:13 PM
Land of the FEE !!

Damn insurance companys have calif. in its pocket & its nuts here as far as getting/staying legal with a older car...... and to think guys died in wars so that this was to be great free...............???? I degress..its getting nuts in california !!!!:no:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 03:24 PM
simple solution

Quote:
Damn insurance companys have calif. in its pocket & its nuts here as far as getting/staying legal with a older car...... and to think guys died in wars so that this was to be great free...............???? I degress..its getting nuts in california !!!!:no:

Actually 2.....

get the least expensive coverage within the legal limits

move out of California

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 11:44 PM
move

I do in the winter..... BAJA !! but late spring,summer and early fall its hard to beat the west coast all the way up to alaska !! if you ever get to spend time in say upper BC in the summer you will know why they call it " Gods country" and the only thing that keeps me sane (debateable) is knowing that that I have baja to look forward Too.. but I'm getting tired off jumping thur hoops with all the rules,,regs,,fee's and face it WE nomads live a live style that is a little bit outside of the sheeple !!! next is dmv gonna demand proof of tire balance & rotation ???? K&T
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 05:13 AM

No, but what IS coming and FAST, are license plates that can be scanned at high speed. Like what MARYLAND has right now. The state starts out innocent enough, stolen cars, lack of insurance, wants and warrants on the driver (owner)...

But then...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that you have warrants out for unpaid parking tickets in Ventura and San Diego"

To be followed by...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that the state has a warrant because you have failed to pay your property taxes".

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.