Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ATV's banned from the beach at East Cape
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

shocked.gif posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:20 AM
ATV's banned from the beach at East Cape

Well, it has come to pass. They are indeed enforcing the law now. Federales confiscated 6 Amigo's rental bikes a couple of days back and have promised to return for more!
Take note East Cape ATVers...drive on the beach and you might lose your bike!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:23 AM
Looks like the Federales

will be having a new means of transportation to keep the drugs out of the u.s..:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:47 AM

Excellent!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 11:08 AM

"Then maybe we can go for a walk without the marooons and drunks racing by a few inches away."

Isn't the main problem with ATVs is that they're noisy and irritate non riders who want to relax in peace, or are there actually numerous accounts of pedestrians being hit by these things?

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 11:44 AM
Drunks and atv's

Living on a beach here in north Baja that has atv access has given me some insight to this.
The majority of foreigners that bring them here drink a lot. Then they go riding. They have very little experience riding them and they crash.
Our beach has had one go off the bluff onto some people. Another went off the bluff with two kids on it and again landed on some people.
There are dogs down the beach that attack them. 3 people have wrecked and come back bloody and dog bit because they didn't have the experience to run the %#^&#@'s over.
In Cantamar dunes where it is not offensive, I have had to patch up and transport 3 people to the hospital.
When we used to go to Bahia de los Angeles and Bahia Gonzaga, the foreigners raced up and down the beach. Mostly kids while the parents were getting drunk but nevertheless, the kids are having way too much fun to respect anyone else on the beach. And the parents don't care.
There are enough fun places to ride down here so that being an annoyance on the beaches isn't necessary. Los Barriles has an incredible arroyo ride that makes the beach boring at best.
And, there are plenty of beaches that don't have the tourism, if you feel you must ride on a beach.
It's also a good way to shorten the life of an atv because of the salt!

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
will be having a new means of transportation to keep the drugs out of the u.s..:lol:

Nope, looks like their kids will be getting a very nice gift for Xmas.:lol:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 03:42 PM
Sounds more like my drunken neighbors,

Pochos y Chicanos who just recently started visiting Baja.
This is because of all the horror stories they have heard while being brought up in l.a.:lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 04:59 PM

Try San Felipe during Samana Santa and you will see a world of people from Ensenada, Tijuana, Mexicali and Southern Calif. Most of my neighbors try their best not to go to town during that week.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-20-2004 at 06:15 PM
Thanks Grover

Having grown up in Pico Rivera for a number of years, I can truly appreciate that site.
This is borrowed from www.pocho.com

A pocho is a term used by Mexican nationals to call their Mexican-American or Chicano relatives to the North. It basically means, "A Gringoized Mexican." In Mexican Spanish, pocho has many literal meanings, such as "cut off" (from the root) or "faded." In Spain it also means, "rotten" as in rotten fruit. Well! Excuuuuse us!

Over the course of 10 years, nosotros the editors of Pocho Magazine and this disaster zone known as pocho.com have forcefully turned pocho into a term of pride, a rallying cry for the tacky, uncultured Mexican-American and Chicano, whose lack of proper Spanish skills, and somewhat weakened ability to eat some hot spicy food items makes him a pariah, an outcast both in the US and in Mexico. Supposedly not authentic enough to be a Mexican in Mexico OR the US, the pocho and pocha (his sister) are actually superior beings, able to straddle two worlds while enjoying the benefits of being bi-lingual, bi-cultural and sometimes bi-ignorant.

The pocho uses satire and humor as a way to cope with his predicament, and deftly combines the crass yet sly Mexican sense of humor with the ironic and dry wit of the gabacho into a big comedy enchurrito-a creature so hideous and beastly it defies easy classification while instilling fear and confusion in the hearts and minds of those who dare to cross its path. Don't quote us on that.

[Edited on 10/21/2004 by jrbaja]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 07:37 PM

Umm, ummm, umm,

Pocho, gabacho...chicano?

Grew up in So Cal, made friends with middle class (first generation) Mexican family.

They took great pride in only eating steak and salad when in restaurants, I was lectured how rice and beans was low class.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
cabokid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 07:49 PM
atv beach riding

Get a life.Been riding motorcycle atv 4x4 on beaches for over 30 yrs on most beaches all over baja. I have not run over any turtles , babies, seals, sun bathers or old farts walking . All it takes is a little common sense,much like driving a car.I"m sure most readers have all done the same. Quit trying to americanizie baja with all your rules from US or stay home in your safe little rule chocked domain.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 08:00 PM
I can't say the same Gypsy

the families I grew up with taught me about tortillas, rice, beans, tamales and enchiladas.
Quite a change for a 7 year old who was used to clam bakes:lol:
I guess I must have liked them.

Cabo dude, Since you are so experienced, I recommend a nice ride on the east cape beaches.:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

rolleyes.gif posted on 10-20-2004 at 08:25 PM
"Can't we all just get along?"

There is room for all to enjoy their place in Baja (I hope).

ATV riding on the beach (if it was a legal thing to do) should not be where non ATVers are trying to enjoy the sand and sea. ie, no racing through groups of people... common sense.

That means it is dumb (and illegal) to ride on the beaches between Tijuana and Estero Beach, San Felipe (in front of town), Los Barriles, and Los Cabos.

The hundreds of miles of beach where there are NO TOWNS, RESORTS, or PEOPLE laying in mass should be enough for the ATVer. Exceptions to this might be for wildlife preservation, ie. turtle nesting areas (which I believe is near Cabo/Todos Santos).

Now, besides remote beaches (tidal zones up to desert), there are dunes, desert roads, dry washes by the thousands to ride on. Respect others who have a right to a good Baja time, but may not enjoy the noise or danger ATVers bring.

There is a lot more of open Baja to ride on than there is in front of beachside towns...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 07:38 AM

While I must reluctantly agree that East Cape beaches have become a race track and a change is in order...I also sympathize with Cabo Kid's point of view on the subject. There are ( were ) indeed way too many inconsiderate riders on the beach. Too fast , at the wrong places, at the wrong times. Laying on the sand listening to lapping waves has become a potential suicide mission in some spots. And loud, racing bikes have blown more than one shot at great fish from the beach for anyone who has spent much time here. In my experience it is almost always, with the exception of semana santa, gringo tourists blowing it for everybody. Additionaly, it seems that the main drive for the beach ban has indeed come from gringo's with houses on the beach. The subject of bikes on the beach seems to be a non-issue to most of the local Mexicanos I talk to.
It is too bad that instead of targeting those who abuse the freedom to ride, everyone must now lose the option to ride on the beach. Laws, and rules, and limitations seems to be the American way now days. It's really unfortunate. I'm pretty sure the old guy I see putting along the beach on his ATV with his dog sitting behind him isn't hurting anyone. Now he's a criminal.
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 07:56 AM
atv's

There is a pretty good sized atv rental in Los Barriles. Will this put them out of business? I know several people that use them to pull their boats down to the water. Will this be allowed? They also run them down the beach to town to do their shopping. It only takes a few people to screw things up. Just like the jet skis on the Colorado river.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
The subject of bikes on the beach seems to be a non-issue to most of the local Mexicanos I talk to.
It is too bad that instead of targeting those who abuse the freedom to ride, everyone must now lose the option to ride on the beach.

Of course it is a non-issue to most Mexicans. They understand that the chances of getting caught are almost zero. It is their approach not to respect the law, mainly because those who are pledged to enforce it do not respect them.

Additionally, there was never the freedom or an option for anyone to ride on the beach. It was/is against the law.

cabokid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:49 PM
beach riding

Like I said a little common sense. If I want a little peace an quiet I don't camp at peets on a holiday and get peeed off because of all the noise and beach riding. No you dont ride on the melcon in Cabo or any resort beaches. East cape ,well I can agree if there are atv rentals that rent to a bunch of ricky racers it would be annoying and you have a legit gripe. All I'm saying that there are hundreds of miles of beaches to ride ,drive ,camp and enjoy without having all the rules we americans seem to bring with us (no bottles,fireworks,dogs,fires,beer,booze,loud music, games bla bla bla ) . and A hose I'll be down in La paz after the race and Cabo after that .You can meet me down there if you can find your way that far .
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:55 PM
A little common sense you say?

This is exactly what these people seem to be missing. And "they" are the majority.
I would be extremely surprised if you haven't experienced them yourself if you spend any time besides vacations in Baja.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabokid
All I'm saying that there are hundreds of miles of beaches to ride ,drive ,camp and enjoy without having all the rules we americans seem to bring with us

Your saying it doesn't make it legal. According to Mexican law NOT American rules, there is not ONE mile of beach available to ride or drive, period.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 09:26 PM

I dont care if your an american or a mexican, riding bikes on the beach is wrong, specially in southern Baja where theres plenty of animals that live on the beach, either on it or under it, there is such thing as doing a citizens arrest in Mexico, so watch out.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.