Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: El Rosario
AcuDoc
Nomad

question.gif posted on 10-21-2004 at 10:41 PM
El Rosario

Anyone stay at any of the motels in town? I know in the past there was problems with theft in the area. How safe to park truck/boat overnite at hotels?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 11:16 PM

The place to stay is 'The Baja Cactus Motel', next door to the Pemex station. Both owned by Baja Nomad 'BajaCactus' (Antonio Munoz). 12 new deluxe rooms are being finished this weekend. http://www.bajacactus.com motel@bajacatus.com Special low rates still in effect (last I heard).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 11:24 PM

We toured the Baja Cactus as described by David, above. It new, clean and comfortable. We met both Antonio and his dad and spent qujite a while with them showing us around the place. That will be my choice when we stay there. There is also Mama Espinoza's place next door and the Sinai, about a half-mile around the corner. It's the most basic of those hotels.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 12:39 AM

Antonio could you email me at AcuDocLP@aol.com
Please mention in Subject who you are. I don't open emails from senders I don't recognize.
thanks - AcuDoc
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 09:10 AM

Related to safety of parking. I have stayed in the area (all those already mentioned) and have never had a problem using reasonable security that you would use anywhere. Worst ever was kids stealing valve stem covers off race car tires and spares....wish they would have asked...would have given them a box of them.
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 05:34 PM

In June we parked two trucks, one with two Seadoos on the trailer for a night at Mama Esponiza's and didn't have any trouble.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 08:05 PM
try the graveyard

Years ago we were pre-running for the 1000. Rolled into El Rosario pretty late, although they did hand us some lobster burritos out the already locked door at Espinozas.
So, we took our burritos and headed out toward the beach in my pickup.
Found a nice level spot in the dark, tossed our bags in the back of the truck, ate our burritos and a couple cervezas and crashed for the night.
Early light found us looking out over all the gravestones....
An interesting way to wake up, to say the least. (and not the last Baja cemetery that I slept in during my years of pre-running, we actually found them to be the most peaceful place in town)

Baja Arriba!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-22-2004 at 09:12 PM
Hey David

Front Door, Baja Cactus Motel
N. 30.03.586
W115.43.528
Elevation 196 Ft.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 09:16 PM

And the view to the south. The rooms are fantastic, the hotel part is probably finished by now, and the staff is MORE than friendly!
Make sure that if Antonio is there, he takes you for some snail chorizo !!:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 12:33 AM

Thank you JR, I know where it is! But, for AcuDoc and others that may be helpful?Antonio's Pemex station (next door) has been listed in my GPS waypoint web page.

The photos are great for showing just how classy Antonio is trying to make it be. Dig the antique gas pump on display! Antonio's family, not Mama Espinoza's were the original gasoline and room vendors in town. They had the first market in Rosario, as well.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 01:38 AM
The Gas Pump

is now positioned in a planter at the Baja Cactus hotel.

After we were given a tour by Antonio El Viejo and Antonio El Joven I spotted it standing there in their courtyard. I had always remembered buying gasoline in El Rosario from that old pump, just before you came to the corner, but had never seen it since the 1960's. Yet there it was and is.

As there was no electrical power provided to El Rosario in those days, it was one of those old manual pumps. Sturdy arms, male or female, pulling a pressure bar cause the fuel to be lifted from it's source into a 5-gallon (20 litre perhaps?) glass bowl which sat atop the pump. When the bowl was full the pumping action stopped and the attendant released the contents of the bowl into the object tank below, namely our vehicle. It all took time but time was less important in those days and we all stood around talking, my friends and I soon to be off on what we thought of as another adventure to the barren south, and a few locals who cared enough to let these green gringos fill a little of their spare time in a quiet village on the northern edge of Baja's great central desert. Dreams were born there.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 07:11 AM
Parking?

is there secure parking for a trailered boat? That's usually what I haul all my stuff in. It'd be nice to have a stopping place where my family would be comfortable and I could rest easy knowing my stuff is OK.

Union thug.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 07:47 AM
I would have to say yes Franko

There is a walled courtyard for parking and the station next door is open all night. I'm not sure about 24 hour security but I have a feeling that people know not to mess with Antonio and his family.:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:00 AM

Hi Frank, I read another post by Antonio where he said 'yes' to secure overnight parking for someone with a fifth wheel trailer rig.

Antonio has made the effort to join us on the Internet so he can be more in tune to concerns and needs of his potential customers. Look at how wonderful he has been at addressing our questions and meeting us! I am very impressed.
http://vivabaja.com/bajacactus and http://vivabaja.com/fiesta kind of says it all. In JR's terminology, this guy is a 'human'! (of course I believe most Americans and Mexicans are)

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:29 AM
I certainly hope so David

But , if you spent much time down here, I'll bet even you would begin to wonder!:no:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:53 AM
wanna see a picture of the graveyard...

just checking
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:36 AM

We stayed at the Baja Cactus Hotel while driving south in August. We parked our full size crew cab truck and 28 foot boat inside of the walled courtyard.
There is a nighttime security guard and when we left pre-dawn he was awake and helped guide us out of the parking compound.
Very clean rooms, hot water with good water pressure and very comfortable beds.
Highly recommended!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
But , if you spent much time down here, I'll bet even you would begin to wonder!:no:

I bet you see a lot more of the 'non-human' norte-americanos because you live in a tourist trap area (ie. Rosarito Beach). If you lived away from paved roads then you would see more of the 'human' norte-americanos such as most of us Nomads (who like to explore and camp under the stars). This is where the good ranch people of Baja live, too.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:27 PM
Probably so David

all I know about the rest of Baja is there's bandidos. I'm kind of afraid of going to the "wild areas" like Bahia de los Angeles and Bahia Gonzaga.:lol:
MoonShadow

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:41 PM

Good roads, bad people.
Bad roads, good people.

Every time you think you're over the hill, there's another one.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.