BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: The OLD MISSIONS of BAJA & ALTA CALIFORNIA, book news and history chat
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

cool.gif posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:36 PM
The OLD MISSIONS of BAJA & ALTA CALIFORNIA, book news and history chat

My co-author Max Kurillo and I met yesterday to make some 'final' edits to our new book, and Max said I could go ahead and share the news and cover with you all.

The book will be the first to include ALL 48 of California's Spanish and Mexican missions in one place of reference and some basic data on each, treated equally.

Most mission books cover either the 21 missions in Alta California (USA) or the 27 missions in Baja California (Mexico). However, that was not how they were established. The entire region was part of Spain and later Mexico.

The first California mission was not in San Diego, but instead at Loreto. San Diego was not even the first Franciscan mission or the first founded by Junipero Serra. Serra did not arrive by boat to San Diego as some have been told, but walked there from Loreto.

Loreto was #1 of the 'chain' of missions and San Diego was #19, founded 72 years after Loreto! There was a whole lot of history going on in 'California' before any mission was built north of the peninsula. The term 'chain' is not really correct, since missions were established all about as needed, and not in any order from south to north. It was over 52 years before the padres even built a mission above the halfway point down (or up) the peninsula.

Can you name the 7 missions on the cover (hint: 5 are in Baja)?

The book is glove box size friendly and spiral bound to lay flat on any page to make it super friendly to use on the road or at home.

Approx. 145 pages and some 160 photographs and maps with input from other Baja authors and Nomads alike to refine the contents. Many photos are from Baja Nomad Jack Swords!

Max and Erline have written other historic interest papers and published three books, including 'California's Camino Real and its Historic Bells'. Max was also the co-host with Huell Howser for a one hour T.V. special on the Historic Bells of the El Camino Real.

*We plan on having the book ready to publish by next month (October, 2012)... and we are offering an early order discount price... Sales details will be posted in the Classified Ads forum here on Baja Nomad.

Thank you for your interest in California (Baja & Alta) history!

[Edited on 3-11-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:42 PM

Congrats David. I'll be purchasing a copy!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 09:01 PM

Good for you,David. It's a fitting testimony to all your dedication and hard work.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 09:09 PM

Well done, David!!! Count me in for a copy also.

Barry
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 09:10 PM

Congrats DK...

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 09:12 PM
DAVID,,COOL

I will take one myself !! I have been to a lot of missions on the one day horse back away trail !! and still (MANY) some to check out !! (THANK GOD) ? have you been to the soleadad mission or more important the historic "pariso" hotspring nearby ???? it played a part of the chain/change of events in the "el camino real" and the missions in alta california..one of cali"s lost secrets you might say !!! K&T:cool:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:02 AM

Very nice! Please sign me up for a 5 books.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:15 AM

very good DK,, long over due,,I hope that this takes you on a long and rewarding journey,
sign me up for a copy also

ken/jane
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:36 AM

Thank you Nomads! I will be posting the ad for the book next week after I check the edited copy. I will u2u you guys when I am comfortable accepting orders. Max got a P.O. box and we have an email just for the book orders.

As for missions I visited, I live right by San Luis Rey mission and I have toured San Diego mission. Max is the Alta mission expert. My specialty is on the Baja missions. I have been to many.
Tim, thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you Nomads! I will be posting the ad for the book next week after I check the edited copy. I will u2u you guys when I am comfortable accepting orders.

Put my name on the list, please.
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:57 AM

One for me please!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:59 AM

Sounds like a good addition to any Baja library.
Thanks David!

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:01 AM

Sign me up David, congratulations!!

carpe diem!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:23 AM

SAve a couple for me
D
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:54 AM

Nice to see it finally out David! Good for you and Max.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 10:26 AM

Good for you David. Congrats!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 11:41 AM

Congratulations David, also Max and Erline - We look forward to the book, put us down for three copies.
Kevin
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 03:14 PM

What an accomplishment! I will be purchasing two copies - one for home reference, the other for field use. Hopefully, both will be autographed.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:47 PM

Thank you my friends... and I haven't even told you the price, yet! LOL

Seriously, Max and I think it will be a fair price for what is inside, plus we will offer you here on Nomad, an early order special!

I may show you a sample page when I do the ad... We will try and set up a PayPal for email orders, but we already have a P.O. Box (El Cajon, CA) for good old, mailed-in checks!

Those of you in Southern California can come to a Power Point presentation and Max and I can sign your books in person... will co-ordinate with Baja travel clubs and/or Baja/Mex auto insurance dealers. Be easy on us... we don't have the experience of great Power point presenters, like Graham Mackintosh! :yes::cool:

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:54 PM
DAVID K

DOES A JUNKIE ASK THE PRICE ?? MYSELF AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS BOOK AND THANK YOU...BAJA JUNKIE & RAT...................CHECK.......WHATS A CHECK ????

[Edited on 9-4-2012 by captkw]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.