Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: How not to change one's impeller on a 4-stoke Merc
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
a four stroke has on pwr stroke for every 4 revs of the crank and I also LOVE wankels. a 1/3 stroke motor..one of these days I will make a wankel outboard..K&T

[Edited on 9-4-2012 by captkw]

Sorry Capt but I can't agree with you on this one. A piston starts at the top of the cylender and goes to the bottom of the cylender on the intake stroke, that is one half revolution of the crank. Then the piston goes to the top of the cylender for the compression stroke, that is another half revolution of the crank. Now starts the power stroke and the piston goes to the bottom of the cylender again another half stroke, and finally the exhaust stroke completes when the piston gets to the top of the cylender. 2 complete revolutions of the crank. Lets hear your theory.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 02:43 PM

A two stroke has a power stroke every revolution. A four stroke every other revolution!http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 02:47 PM

Four stroke animation!

http://www.animatedengines.com/otto.html
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 04:39 PM
big boy& nomads

HolA,,yep your correct !! I was on the phone to my part's warehouse at the time and posted wrong..ooops!!! being on HOLD makes my brain shallow and not all there..I stand corrected..and since I have been building and repairing 2 and 4 strokes and diesels for over 40 years..I should be the last one to say what I said..al well PLEASE someone fire me !!! I could use a day off!!! and also on that note we also have 2 and 4 stroke diesel's..I didn't watch the vidio...hanging my head low!!:lol: K&T:cool:

[Edited on 9-4-2012 by captkw]
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 04:51 PM

captkw,

No problem, welcome to the human race. I make simple mistakes daily.

I agree with you on two strokes. With just a little care they just about last forever. I have a 70hp Evinrude 3 cylinder looper that probably has over two thousand hours and still runs great. My 150 Yamaha has over 800 hours and has never been in the shop. Just new plugs and gear oil about every 200 hours.

Everyone tells me to get a new four stroke 150 because they get about 25% better fuel mileage, I just tell them I can buy a lot of gas for $14,000. I would take me about twenty years to pencil out not counting increased maintenance!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 05:06 PM
a story

wish I had osprey'S touch,but I dont..any way about 8 years ago Im in the machine shop (2nd home) and see a nasty ate up pair of heads..ask my machinest whose they were..with a chiteating grin he states HP (harbor patrol) what !! I say!! looking at them with a trained eye..my god they only have had these like 2 yrs or less I stammer..machinest says 1 and a half yrs to be exact..and strangly enough I had there old commercial johnson 150's in my boat yard that were run hard for over 5 years and were still good motors..those heads were off a pair of yammys 200hp 4 strokes..now any time HP use the boat they flush !! (duh) and the johnson two strokes were never flushed..just a tougher build and I anit got nothing to say that is biased.... being a marine tech for over 30 years and also work on a homeland secruity vessels I have most of all the latest training, tools and know how..so when I say a four stroke takes more care than a 2 stroke !! listen to the man that knows....OUT

[Edited on 9-5-2012 by captkw]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
how many 2 stroke motorcycles are there licensed on the road today...
...again old tecnology...

2 strokes will be around for awhile but they ARE on their way out

dont fight the wave
news is slow to get to mulege! the big buzz in the motorcycle community is all about the new husqvarna direct injected 2 stroke dual purpose bike. ktm is also scrambling to get theirs out. take a look at the awesome snowmobile and jetski 2 stroke power plants! go out to a district race and see all the ktm 300 xc's on the start line. 2 strokes arent going away, they,re making a huge comeback:spingrin:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 05:48 PM
HUSKY'S

HAD ONE WHEN IWAS A KID..WHEN IT HIT THE PWR BAND I COULD HARDY HOLD ON.. WHATTHESE NEW ONES ARE LIKE !!! SCARY FAST !!!..PS TO WILLERDGUY THATS A RAD AVATAR:lol: K&T
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i think the epoxy might work...i also like the idea of a bolt AND epoxy...that will work

NEVER get a 2 stroke...old school

they are loud and stink AND are banned in many locations
plus they suck gas

later the parts will be impossible to get...
thats how "they'll" eliminate them totally

4 strokes do break and "old mechanics" hate to learn the new technolgy but the 4 stroke is a better machine
STINK!!!! nothing matches the sweet smell of bean oil! ahhh castrolR:spingrin:
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 06:33 PM

The YZ250 is back!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/30/home...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 07:03 PM
stink !! what stink..thats not stink!!

on my small cat I run bullet proof 2004 merc's 75 hp two stroke motors (2) and I increased the oil injection a bit !! for me a cup of coffee. heading out the"jaws" with a bit of 2str oil is a smell that I cheresh with the first sign of the sun coming up and the gulls moving out of my way !! and 55steve.. I have the software for your E-tec..a sweet motor and a hell of a leap up from the FICHT !! our friend BOB sounds like a nice guy and hell any one that has a light house (el farro) is OK in my book if its next to a point and the right markings ..one of us needs to take him for spin so that he catches up with the wave..its amazing at tahoe with the newer two strokes !!! to run mine as a dealer (a) I can put on a 4 star stickeeer,turn down the oil injection and run !! JUST KIDDING !!!!they will be knocking on my door in the morning!!:lol: K & T:cool: (a) retailer would be more fit!!

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 07:17 AM

tough one on the motor santiago, pero I don't know chit about engines.

This conversation is interesting and informative. I've had a GW22 for over a year now. It came with a 225 SWS. Damn was that thing loud and smelly and the gas usage was crazy. Sold it and got a 4 stroke 225 with about 600 hours on it for $5000 on topof what I sold the two stroke for.

4stroke get 50% better mileage, quiet and allows, allows allows starts on the first crank. My bilge is clean since removing that oil tank. DId I mention you can have a normal conversation while under way.

4 stroke is a big heavy b-tch. Trim tabs helped getting it on plane, but the increase in weight has dimished the MPG's because it's hard to stay on plane a slower speeds like the 2stroke did without trim tabs.

100 hour maintenance is expensive.

No chance of installing twin 4 strokes due to weight

It's really just too dam heavy for my older Grady, so the new two strokes be great in a twin 100's if they weigh 250#'s each.

saludos

[Edited on 9-5-2012 by aguachico]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 07:19 AM
WOW!!! WATCHED THE SKI TEAM VID

F-ING AWSOME VIDEO,,THAT TAKES SOME DOING !!! THANKS STEVE55..I USED TO WATERSKI AND WILL SKI AGAIN..THAT WAS INSPIREING.....K&T:cool: AGUACHICO...WHATS A 225 SWS ?????

bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
F-ING AWSOME VIDEO,,THAT TAKES SOME DOING !!! THANKS STEVE55..I USED TO WATERSKI AND WILL SKI AGAIN..THAT WAS INSPIREING.....K&T:cool: AGUACHICO...WHATS A 225 SWS ?????

I'm gonna guess a yamaha ox 225 Salt Water Series.. any other guess's?

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 04:10 PM
bet your right!!

Hola, and the stupid me worked on a 2001 ox 225 sws w/red strpe thing just last month..is thiswht hapens as we age ?? only 52 ..huh !! must be low on beer !! *santiagao* please give a fix report !! thanks ..K&T
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Hola, and the stupid me worked on a 2001 ox 225 sws w/red strpe thing just last month..is thiswht hapens as we age ?? only 52 ..huh !! must be low on beer !! *santiagao* please give a fix report !! thanks ..K&T

Current status:
Installed today and test run in the shop, will sit overnight and they will scope it in the morning; they have small scope with a light that they can get into this area. If no leaks, then I will pick it up and start my on-the-water test runs next week.

Question: the shop says this motor has a low oil pressure warning buzzer but not automatic shut-off. Sooooo, if I'm running at 5000rpm and there is sudden failure of the patch, the warning will come on but the shop thinks probably too late to save the engine. I'm thinking they are being too conservative; if I immediately shut the engine off when I hear the buzzer, there would still be some oil pressure and some oil circulating, right?
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 06:17 PM

If it was repaired with epoxy and a plate I doubt it could lose the oil very fast if it developed a crack or hole. I would think you would see the oil slick or mess in your engine well before it siezed. I would feel pretty confident as long as it was done right. I've had JB weld out last aluminum on past emergency repairs...even on coolant tubes that are under pressure. Good luck, let us know how it does... BTW. Boat tow insurance is cheap..

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
If it was repaired with epoxy and a plate I doubt it could lose the oil very fast if it developed a crack or hole. I would think you would see the oil slick or mess in your engine well before it siezed. I would feel pretty confident as long as it was done right. I've had JB weld out last aluminum on past emergency repairs...even on coolant tubes that are under pressure. Good luck, let us know how it does... BTW. Boat tow insurance is cheap..
what would senor sanchez do?:lol:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 06:30 PM
santiago

HOLA, whats the ser. # of your motor ??? K&T:cool: ps about ten min later..I watched the vid that vandy posted and as always not done right..merc gaskests NEVER use sealant and NEVER put grease on a impeller !!! I have yet to see a you tube vid about boat repair that is correct and dont know any mec that is master in this biz that would make/post/produce a vid !!! also that motor is a 2 stroke and does not have the issue that santiago is dealing with..but thanks anyway vandy (hows the toyota?) sigh!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 9-6-2012 by captkw]
baja09

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 08:36 PM
Bean oil

Willard guy...yea that smell of bean oil reminds me of my nights at Ascot park...on the half mile.. best of times ..got the #6 plate in 1970 , those were best times now its Fishing the sea of cortez!

A+P......... PILOT........Baja Sur Lover
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.