Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Frizkie the adventuress found these shells
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 11:25 AM
Frizkie the adventuress found these shells

and sent me these photos. I can't seem to get them to open in photo shop so I took pictures of them on my moniter.
I have forwarded them to smart people in the hopes that they can open and post them.
Does anyone know what they are?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 11:26 AM

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 02:34 PM

I don't know what they are, but I'll bet Myra Keane's (sp?) book on Pacific shells does. [Too bad some skunk swiped mine.]

Lera.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 04:10 PM

I just looked through the entire National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashells and there's nothing that looks like that.

In the second photo, it appears that the shell may be misshapen. Look at the striations that work from the upper portion of the shell, across the break and continue similarly onto the lower portion.

Keep us posted.
DD
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 06:28 PM

Sort of looks like an Angel Wing, at least the opened ends do, but a misformed one, in that the solid and rounded end don't fit any shells that I have found.

Be interested to see what the final verdict is on this one as I did some searching and came up with nada.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 08:52 PM

It's a Pacific Albino "Aflack" shell...AFLACK, AFLAAAACK!!!:P
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 09:21 PM
Margie ?

Is that you ? Brcause that made about as much sense to me as the usual anonymous posts. Thanks for the help.
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 10:34 PM
Unidentified Critters

This shell or egg or whatever it is, was found in a mound of sand/dirt with a bunch of others just like it, so it is not deformed. They were found just above, or close to, the high tide line at Punta Coyote, three or four miles along the beach south of Tecolote, in a very deserted spot. They were in a mound below a cliff and could have come from a section that had broken away from the cliff above.
I'm not so sure it is a shell, but more likely an egg of some kind. I asked many of the locals near that area, fishermen and others, but no one is able to identify them. They are made up of a calcium compound and are actually two pieces hinged together by a membrane at the back. The front actually looks like a beak and is very jagged along one edge. Looks like a cross between a duck-billed platypus and a Venus flytrap to me.....Ahhh, yeah, right!!
Thank you so much JR for putting these pics on here for me.
If anyone is interested further you can U2U me, I have better pics that I could e mail to them. But do it soon as I leave for Baja in two weeks or less..and I will be there until the end of March!!!! Yahoooooooo!!!!!............Barb aka Frizkie:bounce:
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:27 AM

Looks to perhaps represent the artropods, a moult or shell. Found together further suggest food and below a cliff in a mound hints of a midden.
Try emailing the photo to San Diego Natural History Museum and CICESE along with the provenace. Bet you get a reply. Good luck.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 11:18 AM

Lera, that spelling is Keen. Email me at aridneal at earthlink dot net if you want a source for one at $17.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 11:29 AM

Lera,

:mad: And quit picking on skunks; here is a cutie from under my shed:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 01:41 PM

I suspect that scientific analysis of the medium,i.e. dirt/sand/etc., such as carbon dating, that the possibly shell/egg/flytrap was buried/found or originally embedded in may likely but not positively reveal that the specimen(s) are/is really old? Waddya think? :biggrin:

Display it proudly!

frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:10 PM

Nope, definetly not old.

Come on, someone's gotta have the answer. Maybe I outa' put up a reward for the correct identification.

How 'bout one or two of my special ....ahhh, what would you call them, JR? "Thumb chopping off Margaritas" ? for the correct ID. :yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:13 PM

So Margie's answer wasn't right?:
It's a Pacific Albino "Aflack" shell

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:31 PM
Not Aflaaaack?

Never heard of one. David, do you have a shell book that shows one ?
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 08:38 PM

Neal, please accept my apologies for having gravely insulted skunkdom. I had no idea the critters could be all that cute and cuddly.

Sort of reminds ya of JR, don't you think?

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:41 PM
Ha

I resemble that remark:lol:

But, after thinkin about it, I was wonderin why someone I have met only once would compare me to a skunk, not that they are bad?

[Edited on 10/24/2004 by jrbaja]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:23 PM

No JR, I sure can't find aflack or Pacific albino aflack in either the encyclopedia or dictionary. I also looked at several Internet shell ID web sites.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:37 PM
So is that what it is ?

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 05:26 PM

JR, I was thinking soft and cuddly, which is how Neal's photo strikes me-- skunky never entered my head when I looked at that cute and cuddly little stuffed toy. You sort of take offense when people accuse you of being soft and cuddly, and my intent was to give you a bad time on that score. A total misfire on my part, and I apologize.

Lera

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.