BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HughesNet Narrowing Baja Coverage?
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 10:30 AM
HughesNet Narrowing Baja Coverage?

I heard a rumor that HughesNets Baja coverage may be
narrowing. Has any one else heard this? Thanks.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 10:59 AM

I don't think hughesnet is even here legally.
I think those of us who have it here in Baja have it through some US address and just sort of bootleg it in here.
I have hughesnet here in Lopez and it's still working fine.

So this should be interesting.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 10:15 AM

The new 9000 (white modem) unit has a GPS ID thing that can see where you are and shuts off service in Mexico. Get the older unit 7000S you'll be OK.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 01:30 PM
Hugesnet 9000

I signed up with the local Hugesnet dealer (No. Nevada) last fall after they swore up and down that the system would work in BCS. Several of my neighbors (near Mulege) tried to set up a 9000 system and had NO success, so I knew better but, like an idiot I did it anyway. Sure enough we messed aroud with it for weeks and never could get it going.

I brought it back up in June to take back to the dealer and they would NOT take it back saying it was not their problem and that I need to call Hughes. So I called them to get a shipping address to ship the whole thing back. I explained the problem telling them that their own website that shows a coverage map, shows that it cuts off right near Santa Rosalia. Here is what they told me: We will suspend your account for 6 months (no billing) and to call them when I return to Mulege and they will send out an installer (to Mulgege) and set up the system and they GUARANTEE it will work! I explained repeatedly where Mulege BCS is and even gave them the lat and long.

So I will give them a call in November and see what happens. Should be interesting. I am convinced they know that they have thousands of customers in Baja, but thats just my opinion.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 01:45 PM

huge mistake...

commission it up there on SATMEX5...
then bring it down

if they assign you a SAT because of your billing address then it WONT work
in mulege

there's a 9000 unit very close to your friends house here in the bay and it works just fine
its the SAT you use NOT the modem and radio on the antenna and not the unit

the 7000s has a different radio then the 9000 on the antenna...you cant "mix-n-match"

a new thing now too...you need to call hugesnet when you change modems or the new unit wont work
they need to "clear" your account BEFORE you can install a new modem

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 02:14 PM

I got my HN7000S set up and dialed in to Sat Mex 5 in Northern California, brought it to San Nicolas, set it up and dialed the dish in and off we got. Now have 2 dishes. One in Lopez and one in San Nicolas. Just take the modem with me and voila! Internet!
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 09:47 AM

Where to start - there's a lot to unpack here...

HughesNet IS NOT "narrowing coverage." The signals from their newest satellites do not reach down very far into Mexico but that does not mean they are "narrowing coverage."

HughesNet leases space on about 15 satellites. Most of these satellite use "Ku-band," but HughesNet's two newest satellites use the "Ka-band." All satellites have a "footprint" of signal coverage that is strongest at the center and tapers off near the edge, much like a flashlight beam. Some of HughesNet's satellites have wider signal coverage into Mexico than others. The two Ka-band satellites use regionally-specific spot beam technology that has very limited signal strength south of the US border.

HughesNet's current HN9000 modems are all commissioned on HughesNet's Ka-band "SpaceWay" satellite. HN9000 modems are Ka-band only, and cannot be moved to, or used with, other HughesNet Ku-band satellites. You cannot get a 9000 Ka modem commissioned on a Ku satellite in any event, let alone get it moved to SatMex 5 in the US and then bring it to Mexico. The only modem you can do this with is the 7000.

HughesNet's new Gen4 system will use HughesNet's latest Ka-band Jupiter satellite. Like the SpaceWay satellite, Jupiter also uses regionally-specific spot beams. Similar to the Spaceway system, if you have coverage from Jupiter's San Diego beam in Northern Baja, it may be possible to get a Gen4 system working south of the US border. This remains to be confirmed since these systems are not shipping yet and no one has installed one outside the US AFAIK.

The HN7000S modem can be commissioned on a number of HughesNet's Ku-band satellites. It's more portable than the Ka modems, and is the preferred choice for RV and mobile systems, as well as for most of Mexico. HughesNet has no plans to discontinue this system anytime soon. Because of its signal strength, SatMex 5 is the Ku-band satellite of choice for central and southern Baja and Mexico.

If you have signal coverage from SpaceWay's San Diego beam, and you have an account address in that area, it's possible to get a 9000 system working south of the US border. There is no "GPS ID thing that can see where you are and shuts off service in Mexico." The modem is "locked" to the spot beam assigned to the owner's account address so you would need to be somewhere within the same beam as the account address.

Most likely, the HughesNet CSR that Posada-BushPilot spoke with lives in the Philippines, and has no idea where "Mulege" is. You will probably be wasting your time calling them again in November. They will not be able to "recommission your 9000 modem" to Mulege, send a technician, or change satellites for you. Only an authorized HughesNet technician can request satellite changes, and then only with Ku band-based systems.

I have not heard from anyone with a working 9000 system any further south than Ensenada, and I would love to hear from the person that Bob and Susan mentioned with a working 9000 system in Mulege. Could you please ask them to contact me at alan [- at -] BajaSatellite dot com?

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 10:11 AM

alan, so does hughesnet offer service in mexico, or do you need a us address? and does the new ka band work any better than the ku band satellite? thanks
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 10:20 AM

alan, so does hughesnet offer service in mexico, or do you need a us address? - For now, we set up accounts with a US address. There are a couple of HughesNet authorized resellers in mainland Mexico offering commercial HughesNet gear and I'm looking into doing something similar.

does the new ka band work any better than the ku band satellite? - Yes. Speeds are higher, and the Ka systems seem to be generally more stable.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 02:41 PM

We have an expert installer North of Mulege at San Lucas. He was taught by his stepfather, Wayne Davy, before he passed away. Mario Alonso is his name and he can be reached at 615-155-1414. But as Alan points out, the way to go is with the 7000.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 03:14 PM

Be sure to double check Mario Alonso's prices when you have him come to your place.

He is good and knows it.

It's not like the days of Wayne anymore.
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 12:29 PM

Thank you all for the excellent information and advice.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 12:56 PM

I also have installers I can recommend south of Mulege, Loreto and Los Cabos if needed.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 01:08 PM

"There is no "GPS ID thing that can see where you are and shuts off service in Mexico." The modem is "locked" to the spot beam assigned to the owner's account address so you would need to be somewhere within the same beam as the account address."
I was told by a Hughes tech that Hughes Net could tell where you were. But limiting the size of the foot print would probably be cheaper. Thanks for the info.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 01:39 PM

They could tell where you were if they wanted to look up, and then plot, the actual GPS coordinates that had been loaded into the modem. This information is recorded as part of the account. But, AFAIK, there are no "GPS cops" at HughesNet scanning new install data, and I can think of no good reason why they would want to go to this trouble.

I have never heard of HughesNet shutting off a system based on GPS. Non-payment, yes.

Again, I don't think anything HughesNet does is specifically intended to shut down service in Mexico. We're just not on their radar. They would hear from an awful lot of angry RV'ers if that was the case.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.