BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Live or Travel in Baja (or Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 08:59 AM
Live or Travel in Baja (or Mexico)

If you live or travel in Baja (or Mexico) do you have medical evacuation insurance?????

If so, what type or plan???

Will your insurance get you back to the US????.....to a hospital of your choice?????

What other benefits does your plan have????

[Edited on 9-9-2012 by bajaguy]

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 09:02 AM

I use DAN insurance, $45 a year for the whole family. I think it is to the nearest hospital that can handle your problem.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 11:22 AM

I rely on Darwinism...

1. Drove 2,500 miles from Michoacan with a fibrillating heart

2. Drove 1,700 miles with a broken arm

3. Rode a bus 650 miles with a freshly herniated disc (now that hurt!)

Thing that I consider: I call an air evac service. How many hours are going to elapse between the time I hang up, and my gurney gets wheeled into a USA emergency room cubicle and the ER doctors go to work?

If you think it is "an hour or two, or four or six, boy have I got news for you".

If I have a smash on Mex 1, say somewhere around Chapala, how long will it be before a doctor gets to look at me? Bring a sundial and lunch.

Sure I could keel over with a heart attack or drop with a stroke, but after an hour or so in an emergency room, wheel me to an airport in a wheel chair. If I make it, fine, if I don't, well hell, that's the breaks.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 01:07 PM

I got evaced out of here once with insurance, with a perforated ulcer. Made it in 23 hours and nearly lost it.

Better, I think, is get to Fidi La Paz. Dang good hospital. I've medical background and can speak from experience. Excellent place for all but the most bizarr

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 02:51 PM

We have the family plan through DAN, never had to use it. It does cover evacuation to nearby hospital.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 03:10 PM

SkyMed
"Takes You Home"
I pay 320.00 per year for medivac flight insurance to the US hospital of my choice. If you live in Baja full time, it's a bit more.

I know someone who was taken out of Loreto and flown to San Diego in a matter of 8 hours.

<<http://www.skymed.com>>

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
I use DAN insurance, $45 a year for the whole family. I think it is to the nearest hospital that can handle your problem.

where do you get the DAN insurance, sounds like a good idea

does this cover all of Baja and MX
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 03:16 PM

We have two plans.

Frontier Med-Ex through our medical/life insurance plan:

http://www.medexassist.com/

And SPOT/GEOS SAR insurance:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

Plus the SPOT/GEOS Medivac insurance:

http://www.geosalliance.com/medivacplus/index.html

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

You are covered world wide.
Check it out here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.as...
Hope it works for you.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

You are covered world wide.
Check it out here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.as...
Hope it works for you.

thanks
Larry
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 04:44 PM

I was just looking at the DAN site and see that the family coverage is now $55, and individual coverage is $35 a year. Hope I never have to use it.
Larry

BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 07:05 PM

We have the AAA Premier level travel card, which not only covers us in the states, but has $25,000 Emergency Medical Transportation Coverage (worldwide), $300 RV towing reimbursement, 200 miles towing (statewide) for our vehicles at home, free maps and regular service calls we tend to use each year, etc.. With our used vehicles, older RV and travel to San Felipe, this made sense. I've been a member for over 20 years at various levels and it is worth it for us. Oh yeah, the DMV (registering/renewal) service is a BIG plus. Just my 2 cents.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.