BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Exciting Baja Artist Showing in Ensenada in October- Directions Added
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 09:57 PM
Exciting Baja Artist Showing in Ensenada in October- Directions Added

On October 18, 2012 at 6:00pm our very good friend will have a showing of her artwork at the restaurant Ophelia's in Ensenada (actually a bit north of Ensenada in El Sauzal)

Beth is a long time resident of Baja California Sur and became a Mexican citizen a number of years ago. Today, she lives in Punta Chivato and in Bahia Asunción and is a wonderful artist!

The art work that will be offered on October 18 are her amazing Gyotaku Fish Prints and her fossil art jewelry.

The art of Japanese Gyotaku fish printing involves using a real fish so every print is unique and has a different personality. Beth has made this art form come alive!

Her fossil art jewelry is also unique and involves hours of work. Lots of sharks teeth and other fossils, like sand dollars (not from Mexico) are sanded and polished for hours, drilled and combined with various other minerals and or braided cords and turned into beautiful jewelry.

Examples? OK

The first two examples are not for sale as we already bought them. :-)

Mr. Trigger Fish

My Sharks tooth necklace with a tooth from South Carolina and turquoise from a mine in Arizona that is no longer opened.

And a few pictures from Beth of some of her other work. It was difficult to pick just a few to add here. And I will probably add more when I bump this thread closer to the date. :-)

Just a sample and there will be more later as the date grows closer.

And as far as the restaurant Ophelia's, well it is considered one of the best in Ensenada --- just ask Shari's son-in-law. :-) However, you do not need to buy dinner to see the artwork.

Hope that if you live in the Ensenada area, or close by, you will save this date to see, some really beautiful and unique art. It is more beautiful in person. And of course, it will be a time to meet the artist.

Ophelia's is on the west side of the main highway. I will stop on our way south and take a picture of the exact location.

[Edited on 9-13-2012 by DianaT]

[Edited on 9-19-2012 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 07:50 AM

I have a friend who makes t- shirts using this same Japanese art form !

His name is Marshal Madruga and his shirts sell in high end fishing stores. They are so beautiful and like you say - unique.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 07:54 AM

great news that Beth's art will be on display at Ophelias...she does beautiful work and is a wonderful woman...and say hola to Adrian who manages Ophelia's....the food is exquisite and the menu is very unique.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 05:02 PM

I'd like to know more about the process. I can't figure out how painting a fish and rubbing paper on it could end up this cool! The event sounds like a lot of fun and it does happen to fall on my BDay so already my wheels are turning. First, how can I get to the event. Second, how to get my BF to buy me a fish print:light:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I'd like to know more about the process. I can't figure out how painting a fish and rubbing paper on it could end up this cool!

I was doing some of these years ago, but they never looked as cool as Beth's.
I would first paint a layer of India ink on the fish and then press a sheet of rice paper over the fish to make the print.
I think the colors are added to the print after the inking process.

Google GOYOTAKU for more info.

[Edited on 9-14-2012 by DENNIS]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I'd like to know more about the process. I can't figure out how painting a fish and rubbing paper on it could end up this cool! The event sounds like a lot of fun and it does happen to fall on my BDay so already my wheels are turning. First, how can I get to the event. Second, how to get my BF to buy me a fish print:light:

Beth has developed her own version ---- The freshly caught fish is/are stabilized in sand --- she then paints them and uses some type of cloth to transfer the print. If more color is needed, she adds it. She then prepares the canvas --- they are all different -- with different borders, addition of things like a seahorse, etc.. Then the fish prints are attached and the result is beautiful.

I hope you can make it --- we hope to be there --- we just need a dog friendly hotel in that area. Any of her art would make a great birthday present. :yes:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 01:20 PM
Directions to Ophelias

It is 3 +/- miles south of the last toll road station and on the west side of the highway.

It is a little difficult to see from the highway until you pass it because it sits back off the highway. But the landmarks are easy to spot.

A couple of quick snapshots.

Just north of where the parking lot is and easy to spot ---

And just south is another restaurant whose sign is easy to spot.

We are still looking for a dog friendly hotel close by???

Thanks

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 11:13 AM

Time for a bump as the showing is getting close --- Oct. 18 at 6pm. And if you are in the area, her work is well worth seeing, and buying.

And still looking for a dog friendly hotel near by?

Thanks

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
It is 3 +/- miles south of the last toll road station and on the west side of the highway.

It is a little difficult to see from the highway until you pass it because it sits back off the highway. But the landmarks are easy to spot.

Another landmark is the large propane facility directly across the highway from the gallery.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 12:13 PM

Her work is absolutely gorgeous!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers

OK....I'm bored so, is it art....or is it craft? :saint:
Feathers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Personally, I'd call it art. :tumble:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Feathers, since you live in La Bocana, you can see her work a lot closer to your home. Right now she has most of her what-ever-it-is :biggrin: with her, but usually Ed and Jean at the Bahia Asuncion B&B have some of her work in their galleria and if Beth is in town, she is happy to show you more. It is also worth seeing the beautiful weavings, jewelry and other work that Jean does and some of the other art work displayed.

Dennis, I thought about whacking your crutches with my crutches for you trying to cause trouble. However, we both need the crutches and besides, it is an interesting question. Then again, are you using a cane, if so, my crutches would surely win. :yes: :biggrin:

It is like when we bring fantastic woven rugs from Oaxaca, or Mata Ortiz pottery across the border, the US agents call it folk craft. I call it beautiful art. Good thing --- no duty.

One way or another, it is simply beautiful work of some nature.

And thanks for the other landmark --- one can look for the prison like ugly condo building on the west side and/or the ugly propane facility on the east side.

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by DianaT]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 02:32 PM

Quote:

Yeah....but you're her friend so you can't be objective. :lol:
Feathers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah....but you're her friend so you can't be objective. :lol:

Actually Dennis, I don't know her... yet... and I still say it's art. :P

Thanks for the info, DianaT. I'd love to see her work the next time we're in Asuncion. The sand dollar piece is stunning and quite unique!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 03:11 PM

Quote:

oooops....sorry about that. I thought Diane posted your comment.
Anyway....I'm just havin fun. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Then again, are you using a cane, if so, my crutches would surely win. :yes: :biggrin:

Yeah....I'm on a cane [baston]. If things get shakey, I use a quad cane, but in and around the house on the deck, I don't use anything.
Feathers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Anyway....I'm just havin fun. :lol:

I can tell! :yes: :spingrin:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Then again, are you using a cane, if so, my crutches would surely win. :yes: :biggrin:

Yeah....I'm on a cane [baston]. If things get shakey, I use a quad cane, but in and around the house on the deck, I don't use anything.

That is great! So good to hear you have made so much progress.

Now, for the other --- you know that I am ALWAYS objective --- yes ALWAYS. If you don't believe me, just ask me and I will tell you. :lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Now, for the other --- you know that I am ALWAYS objective --- yes ALWAYS. If you don't believe me, just ask me and I will tell you. :lol::lol::lol:

DK says.....well.....DK says......."Not always."
Now...I didn't say that. DK says it. Just ask him and he will tell you. :lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.