Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 04:58 AM
Mulege Home

[Edited on 3-20-2015 by cessna821]
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 08:58 AM
Back to Mulegé

We travelled down to Aregai on the Ligurian coast for the Italian Olive Festival before leaving for Mulegé. We drove over bridges and through tunnels, past seemingly endless golden fields of rice, stretches of harvested sweet corn and sheds overflowing with bales of hay.

The Ligurian coastal road was blooming with Oleander and everywhere there were Agave and some Prickly pear.  It makes you think of other special places. On our return trip we spotted snow on the high Alpine Peaks. Autumn is here, it is getting colder and we are looking forward to returning to Baja.

After a seven month gap it is always exciting to return to Mulegé and see our old friends again. It will be interesting to see the changes along our river road. We have eagerly read as WillyAirstream has described and photographed the work trucks and the the soil they have used to bridge the river to the big island.

Early this year, the Pomelo tree flowered at last! We have watched this strange citrus tree since we first bought our Mexican home and were very unsure what it was. When at last it flowered, a friend recognised it and told us its name. Many times we had been tempted to chop it down .....thank goodness we didn't. It will be interesting to see if we have any fruit on it and how our garden has fared through the heat of the summer.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 08:14 PM

Tonight, as we ate our dinner, we toasted the Canadian couple in the Orchard Park who advised us to buy our home in Loma Azul, thirteen years ago.

This year we arrived home a day ahead of Storm Paul. Mulege was looking serene and beautiful. Our house and garden had been looked after perfectly. Our neighbours ran across to greet us. Everything was just fine.

Tuesday it began raining. In between the showers I got our vegetable seeds planted. The rain grew heavier. At five o'clock, as I was cooking dinner, the electricity went off. We ate by candlelight then went to bed early.

The rain had mostly stopped by four in the morning, and when the sun rose we could see that the garden was full of puddles, shredded leaves, some palm branches and enough key limes for a thousand gin and tonics.

So Wednesday arrived and we tidied up the garden, planted some more seeds and then learnt about the devastation along the river. Thursday afternoon the power came back on.

So, despite surviving another nasty storm in our wonderful home, we still have it for sale.

We are away from our family for yet another Christmas and missing our grandchildren's faces when they open their presents.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 08:43 AM

please post some pictures of the house and surroundings... I think that will boost your chances of selling.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 09:13 AM

Anybody who would like hi res pictures, email:
fordintra@gmail.com
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2012 at 01:37 PM
Home in Loma Azul

We've been here just over a week now and already the vegetable seeds I planted  have germinated and our seedlings are looking fine. We have spinach, mixed lettuce, radishes, parsley, stick beans, tomato and  zucchini plants through and expecting peas and Swiss Chard any day.

Self sown nasturtiums and last years freesia are thriving and the marigold and daisy seeds are all popping up. The rains from storm Paul certainly suited most of the garden. The Frangipani hated it and lots of their pink blossoms fell but the Yellow Bells, Lantana and Bougainvillea are blooming.

Yellow key limes are still falling, as they do, whilst the Ruby Grapefruit swell and the oranges begin to change colour. Lots of dead coconut branches came down in the storm but now we can see some nuts are ripening while lots of  tiny ones  are developing for next year.

The Hummers are pleased to see us and already we have four different varieties coming to the feeders. One curious male Xantus is our favourite. He'll even have an eye to eye with you.

And yes .........we are still for sale!

email: fordintra@gmail.com
for details.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 09:18 PM
Home for sale in Mulegé

Last night the noisy fumigation truck toured the village again. They are after mosquitoes and maybe they are getting them - but boy are they wiping out those irritating crickets.

We have started eating grapefruit, still drinking the limes and will soon be eating oranges. The bush beans are climbing the trellis ...not so sure  they are supposed to do that. Lettuces, radishes, peas and zucchini are growing really well but spinach and chard are struggling in this hot weather. Next week is supposed to get cooler so maybe they will get a move on.

Pretty pink flowering clumps of Madagascar periwinkle have decided to grow against the terrace wall. They like to choose their own growing places. I don't seem to have any luck with seeds from the white flowered ones from the El Patron garden.

The Hooded Orioles are back, checking out the Hummer feeders, but so far no Silver Cardinals. Little yellow birds flit around the citrus trees, but I have no idea what they are, and a flock of Rosy House Finches and Sparrows nest here overnight. A baby Western Banded Gecko surprised me by the clothes hoist. He really was a colourful little critter unlike the khaki baby lizards that hide behind my watering can.

A week ago, one of the local Ejido officials arrived to check our papers. We paid them twelve years ago and now it appears that they and the Government are giving us legal title. Our stamped papers have been forwarded to La Paz. He told us that the Ejido provided the land where the Government built Nuevo Mulege and they also will be given titles to the houses which were gifted to them. I heard this week that some of those titles have already been arriving there.

.....and yes we are still for sale!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:17 AM

i just emailed you requesting specifics...we live just across the river from you.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i just emailed you requesting specifics...we live just across the river from you.

Good move getting on higher ground.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 06:55 PM

Mike, that would have been, just under the river from you.

cessna, u2u me the specifics, as guests at Cuesta are always asking what is available.

cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 01:20 PM

The weather is just gorgeous now and it is so good to be still eating our meals in the garden. The Hummers really appreciate their sugar feeders and fly right up to you and look you in the eye, even while you are eating your breakfast cereal.

The pseuderacanthemun bush is in full bloom and is attracting a whole range of differently coloured butterflies as well as the Hummers to its bright pink sprigs of flowers. This is the latest we have seen it flower and hadn't realised what a treasure it was.

We are eating round fat radishes and lettuce leaves fresh from the garden. The grapefruit are ready and the limes are falling at a manageable rate. The seville and valencia oranges are changing colour. The zucchini and stick beans are flowering and the peas are climbing their trellis. Our spinach is taking its time but should be ready for Christmas. My attempt with last years parsley seed was disappointing but our perennial garlic chives and basil provide all we need. Most of the Spring bulbs are well through and others are spearing their way out of the ground.

And yes ....we are still for sale!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 02:25 PM

I love how you remind folks your casa is still on the market....I look at your posts just to see how your garden grows and what you are having for lunch...I wish I had a grapefruit & lime tree!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 02:40 PM

Your casa is in a great area, high and dry, but just up the hill from the river. Lot's of hiking in the boonies north of your house. :spingrin:
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 06:08 PM

The weather has turned cooler. We still have clear blue skies but with a strong breeze today. There are several dozen garden birds coming for seed now and the Hummers continue to guzzle down the sugar water even when the feeder is frantically swinging. They are incredible birds as they sway backwards and forwards or even ....round in a circle in unison with the feeder. The pair of romantic ravens that visit each year are back .....canoodling at the top of the palm trees. She makes throaty noises at him and he seems to be feeding her. Maybe they are practicing for when their young arrive.

Our radishes are impossible to keep up with ....so we are now giving away bunches to our friends. The stick beans are covered with flowers and we have eaten the first handful of them. The tomatoes have small buds and the zucchini continue to make male flowers. I read that this is normal as the plant wants to attract insects for when it produces  its  female flowers. The chard, peas and spinach are growing well and lettuces continue producing leaves for our salads.

Three philodendron plants appeared from nowhere, under the outside staircase, with their pretty heart shaped leaves.  Maybe the seeds were in the ground and dropped there by birds? At the moment it is difficult to know which type they are but they sure are welcome. I prefer those plants that arrive by choice as they always do particularly well .....just like our lovely Lantana  bushes with their pink and yellow flowers. Many years ago an old gardener told me never to move them but to let them grow in the place they had chosen  for themselves. So that is what I do but they do get pruned into shape when they become straggly.

We are really enjoying these cooler evenings as it is so cosy sitting by the log fire reading a book or watching a video.

And yes ....we are still for sale.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 11:52 AM
Mulegé Home

The weather is so much cooler now. When we first arrived we sat in the shade and we had the air conditioner running and one sheet on the bed at night. Now we spend our days in the sunshine, if we have some, and by the cosy fireside in the late afternoons and evenings.

The birds are hungrier in this cooler weather. We have four feeders out and there must be several dozen Hummers visiting them continuously. Some Hooded Orioles have learnt how to grip onto the red plastic flowers and guzzle the sugary liquid. There are a few White Winged Doves and a flock of sparrows calling morning and evening to the bird feeder and eating the petals off the Yellow Bells tree. They were very timid at first but now they stare at us through the windows if the feeder is empty and they become braver each day.

When the breeze lessens we cook on the barbecue but as it became cooler  we began having our meals using the slow cooker..... There are some great recipes on line. Our favourite is  a Mediterranean soup with shrimp. Though I am using the local dried beans instead of fresh borlotti ones. Fresh shrimp is available outside Saul's Tienda most days for between 150 pesos, if you are a regular customer, and 180 pesos until he knows you!

We have finished the first crop of beans and have new plants growing. The peas are making flowers, the zucchini bushes are now productive, we have too much lettuce and the radish got ahead of us. We have recently begun eating the Spinach and Swiss Chard. Most amazing are the tomatoes - three huge healthy plants smothered in flowers. Others were lost to the cool  night air but these three must be in the right spot.

Our Marigolds and Nasturtiums have been providing posies for the house since Christmas. The hibiscus is flowering again but the Frangipani is losing it leaves and will soon be bare. The grapefruit, oranges and key lime trees provide all we need and  more. Homemade marmalade is delicious on hot toast!

And yes .....our incredible home is still for sale .....many are trying to sell their homes to be in a position to buy .....but money is not easy to find in these more difficult times.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 09:43 PM

what a beautiful home ! so much fruit ! so many veggies ! and the flowers ! you have done a wonderful job of making your house somewhat Mediterranean, best of luck selling.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 05:40 PM

Thanks Blanca

It would be really interesting to visit your side of Baja and see the types of plants that you grow in your garden. One day!
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:31 PM
Mulegé Home for sale

A Baja Day

Forecast of 44-75F....possibility of light rain later.

63F and calm at ten o'clock. 74 degrees at three o'clock.

First thing this morning there was just the one Collared dove, with its slim neck, waiting and watching on top of the electricity post.

Today it has been interesting to just sit still and watch what is happening in the garden. We have several dozen Hummingbirds, a large flock of sparrows, and a pair of White Winged Doves who hang around waiting for us to put out seed. The female, duller coloured, Vermilion Flycatcher came to perch in the same spot as her husband. She is quite plain except for her yellow rump and has the same dark streak though her eye. The Gila Woodpecker managed to prop himself up on the sugar feeder for a slurp. You have to watch out for him as he is quite likely to prise the plastic flowers off. We have two pairs of woodpeckers and they yell at each other across the garden. The Ravens came for a while and the Hooded Orioles sneaked around the fruit trees ...... They adore oranges but eat the grapefruit too, poking their beaks through the peel. The following day ..... the fruit falls off.

I spotted a Yellow bird in the Grapefruit tree but am not sure if it was a Warbler, a Lesser Goldfinch or a Southern Kingbird ..... we have all three .... but you have to be quick off the mark to identify the shy birds. The Frigate, Osprey and Turkey Vulture are always around, but usually high overhead in the sky.

There has been very little wind today and maybe that is why we have had so many different  butterflies here. Firstly I spotted a Gulf Fritillary butterfly in the garden. They only live for one month and deposit their eggs, singly, on passion fruit vines. They must like our native passion flowers as I have not seen any other ones around this village.

Then I caught a Blackened Bluewing in a large plastic tumbler. It was feeding from the Hummers sugar feeder and didn't see me coming. It's bluey /purple  splotches are iridescent. Great Southern Whites languidly flutter around the garden and the Long Tailed Skippers spend the day hovering around the Yellow Bells tree. I am determined to identify all the other butterflies even if I have to catch them. Having said that, I just caught a Bordered Patch, black on top with a pattern of white spots across the wings but orange splotches on its wings undersides ... only a small butterfly possibly 2" across.

Temperature dropping ..... a spa, a drink and then supper.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2013 at 04:39 PM
Mulegé Home for sale

At last.... Some great weather in the low eighties (Fahrenheit) ..... perfect ....not a cloud in the sky and just a slight breeze in the tops of the palm trees.

The flowers and vegetables are really enjoying these warmer days. There are lots of yellow and orange marigolds and nasturtiums competing with the pink and lilacs of the bougainvillea and terrasitas. The baby spinach leaves are great in my shrimp omelette and I found an excellent recipe for chicken breasts in orange sauce..... so simple and easy to make and serves four people.

Place four skinned and boned chicken breasts in an ovenproof dish.
Coat them with two tablespoonfuls of Dijon mustard.
Sprinkle half a cupful of of chopped onion over
Then sprinkle with a quarter of a cupful of brown sugar
Pour the juice of four oranges over. Sufficient to cover the chicken and then retain the surplus.
Put two tablespoons of butter on top
Bake at 190C for forty five minutes.
Remove and pour liquid into a saucepan..... Add the remaining orange juice..... whisk in two tablespoonfuls of all purpose flour and stir while heating .....until thickened.
While doing this ...put the chicken, with another quarter of a cupful of brown sugar sprinkled on top, back in the oven.
When the sauce is cooked pour into a gravy boat/jug and serve with the chicken.

While the chicken is cooking you have plenty of time to cook a selection of vegetables.

I made this and we ate half of the chicken and froze the other half. It thawed and was heated up and tasted just as good as our first meal. A great way to use up a few of our Valencia oranges. Our Seville oranges have made our best tasting marmalade. It was even better than the Ruby grapefruit.... tangier.

Our Rufous Hummer family are still with us ........And yes our home is still for sale ......

fordintra@gmail.com
wprsly

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 10:11 AM
Details

We are in M for a week, can you send me a link for more info and price?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.