BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Diego to Cabo to Mazatlan to Tucson
tobo

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:26 PM
San Diego to Cabo to Mazatlan to Tucson

I'm thinking of doing a circuit starting in San Diego, going down Baja, crossing to Mazatlan, and travelling back up the mainland. I have about two weeks in december/january. My question is, is this a good idea? (-: or too little time?

Also, any tips for anything we shouldn't miss on the way? Specifically, any hot springs? I know about Canon de Guadalupe but none others. Any books in particular that would be good references?

Tobin
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:49 PM

You would have lots of 'windshield time'.

I would spend the time exploring the peninsula up and back.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 11:06 PM

I agree with the crazy cat, spend the two weeks in Baja... it will still seemed rushed as there is just so much Baja!

The book for hot springs in Baja I know of and have is 'Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Southwest' by Marjorie Gersh-Young http://www.hotpools.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 09:56 PM

You'll should check on the La Paz - Mazatlan ferry service first....I just talked with a fellow last Friday that has a boat in La Paz and he says the Ferry service to Maz Town has been shut down till further notice. He believed it was something to do with the ferry being broken down and awaiting repairs.

I think he said the La Paz - Topolobampo ferry service is still running, and may be an option for you if you wish to still take on that ambitious schedule!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-25-2004 at 12:04 PM

If it two full weeks, and you know what most you want out of the trip, you can make it and have a great time. If you plan to explore, you will run out of time or fill like you are on one of those one week seven country trips...and need a vacation when you get home.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2004 at 12:23 PM

I would stick to the peninsula, since 2 weeks is not even enough to see a 1/1000th of it, especially if you are of the adventure/explorer type.
As far as hot springs, check out :
Canyon Guadalupe, Puertecitos, Santo Tomas area, Bahia conception area, Agua Verde area, and talk to people you meet... I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them out there, unknown to most but the locals.
Good luck!!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2004 at 10:28 PM

I wouldn't mind flying to Maztlan and kicking back for a while then catching the ferry (if it is running) to La Paz and kick back there for a little while. Then I'd take the bus to TJ stopping in Loreto, San Ignacio, Mulege, San Quintin, (catching a cab to the Old Mill) or Estero Beach.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.