BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mike's Sky Ranch to the Highway 1?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 01:28 PM
Mike's Sky Ranch to the Highway 1?

We would be getting to Mikes from the gulf side and would like to cross to the Highway 1 side. Anyone done this route lately? We'll have short wheelbase 4wds but nothing trick. Mileages or gps points? Thanks
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 07:15 PM

I drove that in March with my stock extended cab 4x4 Dodge diesel. I didn't have any real excitement. I'm 5000 miles from Baja now so I don't have my trip log.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 08:20 PM
A few years back...

we drove to Mike's from the east coast and wanted to spend the night but there was a group that had the whole place reserved. I asked if we could get to the Meling ranch directly over the back road that's shown on most maps. They told me it was OK in the summer but that no one took in the winter. We went back to Hwy 3 and continued west. In Valle Trinidad we took a back road that was beautiful (it was early spring). We ended hitting Hwy 1 at Llano Colorado just south of San Vicente.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2004 at 10:53 AM

I went in from the west on Memorial weekend while prerunning the Baja 500 course in my Toyota 4x4. If the rains haven't made a mess of it you shouldn't have any problems. Just ask Mike Jr if the road is OK.

Becareful of asking just anyone. In 1990 my chase crew arrived at Mikes before me and some guy had convinced them that only Ivan Iron Man Stewart was the only one who could get out that way. I had already preran it once so I finally had to lay it out that both chase trucks were mine and that was where we were going. No problem, we made it without even using 4 wheel drive. Both drivers forgot to engage it.

When you get to Rancho Coyote you can get on the road over to the Observatory road that takes you out to hwy1.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2004 at 01:54 PM

We did the reverse trip (Hwy 1 to Meling to Mike's to Hwy 3) in April of this year. Easy going, had trim one old oak tree that had fallen in a narrow section of the road, but all else was easy.

If it has rained down there though, all bets are off. The rain can wreck havoc, especially since the road goes through the fire areas of 2003.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.