Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Snorkeling with Sea Lions in Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 10:32 AM
Snorkeling with Sea Lions in Asuncion

I LOVE snorkeling with the playful sea lions at Isla Asuncion...especially in the summer when the water is so warm so you can stay in a long time with them.

A few days ago, we took out WideAngelWandering and his Australian body guards and had a blast with the curious juvenile sealions that swam all around and underneath us...pretty cool looking them right in the eye underwater.

Michelle was a tad nervous but relaxed when she realized they weren't aggressive and had fun....here she is with one checking out her pompis.

and here is WAW Dillon too

the babies are now 3 months old and swimming around pretty good, here is one on the rocks and one in the water in front of his family beach.

here is a great grandfather...they have a cool kind of fur hat

after our swim, we circumnavigated the Island...this is the vigilancia shack on the outside that watches for poachers.

this is the old guano ramp in the little port..

and coming back to port, I took this of our place from the water and our Sunset Casita.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 03:33 PM

Shari, Every time you post photo's of you and seals I'm reminded of the 2 people that got bit by them. Both had terrible infections. I'm sure everybody has a great time and will remember it all there life. I think it's cool that you do this for your visitors, but for me,I'll pass. I spend a fair time in the water and it's Seal and Sea lions that concern me the most. Great Photos by the way!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 04:19 PM

Superb photos, Shari.

Brings to mind the swim with the sea lions off Espiritu Santo Island.

ULTRA COOL EXPERIENCE!

TOTALLY UNFORGETTABLE!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

TheColoradoDude
Nomad

Mood: Paz, Amor, y Tacos de Pescado

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 04:45 PM

que loco!!!! Love it Shari! Every time I see a palm tree I am reminded that more people die from being hit on the head from coconuts than sharks.

Viva su vida!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 05:26 PM
GREAT PICS SHARI

HOLA, I ASSUME THEY ARE MORE FRIENDLY WHEN YOUR SWIMMING AMONGST THEM..WHICH HAS HAPPEND IN MY LIFE BEING ON THE WATER AS A WAY OF LIFE !! A FRIEND OF MINE GOT BIT IN THE ARSE WHILE SITTING ON THE GUNNEL OF A DEFLATABLE !! NASTY...AMAZING HOW FLUID THEY ARE IN THE WATER AND ON A ROCK US BOAT FOLKS CALL THEM "FUR BAGS" RATHER FITTING !! LOOKS LIKE A NOTHER "ROUGH" DAY IN BAJA !! ENJOY,," ITS A SHORT RIDE"
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 05:33 PM

Yes, I suppose one COULD bite you seeing as they have teeth but so could a dog, cat, needle fish, barracuda...I figure driving on the baja highway is more risky. I shall live my life to the fullest trying not to fear the "coulds or mights" thank you.

It is nearly as fun just watching from the panga as the water is so clear and you can see them easily frolicking underwater around the boat...but it is really really cool being with them in their element....we always watch carefully in case there is an aggressive animal, we leave the area....but they really are just as wary of us as we are of them.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 05:40 PM
AGREED !! HAVE FUN !!

AND SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS,,TURTLES AND SEA OTTERS IS ALSO FUN !! I HAVE BEEN OUT THE ISLANDS 200nm SOUTH OF CABO WHERE THOSE GIANT MANTAS SWIM !! THAT WOULD ALSO BE A BLAST !! K&T:cool: PS..NEEDLE FISH CAN BE LIKE A FLYING ARROW !! BUT I'M SHURE YOUVE HEARD THE "STORYS"

[Edited on 9-29-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 9-29-2012 by captkw]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 07:37 PM

Shari, I agree that no one should live with fear as a reason not to do anything. You absolutely live and embrace life as you see fit. I was expressing my quirk with furballs and in no way indicating you should do anything different. I completely support all that you have done for your family and your community.
I have spent most of life risking life and limb in the name of fun and believe if more folks did as well the world would be a better place, ether through culling or understanding.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Yes, I suppose one COULD bite you seeing as they have teeth but so could a dog, cat, needle fish, barracuda...I figure driving on the baja highway is more risky. I shall live my life to the fullest trying not to fear the "coulds or mights" thank you..

For years, I've wanted to swim or paddle (on my board) out to be one with the whales. Last year at Cerritos, 2 people paddled out in a kayak (don't recall if it was a 1 or 2 person kayak) to hang with the whales. They were paddling towards a whale when one turned in their direction, went underwater, and surfaced under them. They lost their kayaks, think they swam in. Don't recall all the details. They were shaken.

I guess you could say it's more probable I"ll get in a head-on accident on Hgwy 1 than it is to be upended by a whale. I'd also say that's the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

Duke Kohanamoku's mother (he's the Father of Modern Surfing, I think) told him: Go out as far as you want. Never be afraid in the water.

Think she might have taught him to have a healthy respect for sharks, as well. Probably seals and sea lions, too. I'm guessing as I never met her.

(Once rented kayaks at Capt. Cook, Big Island, and my wife asked the attendant if there were sharks in the water. He said yes. She asked him if she should ignore the sharks. He said: oh no. Never ignore the sharks.)
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 01:02 PM

Hi Shari, what is this big az slide used for.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 08:53 AM

I only take well calculated risks...I personally would NOT kayak with whales and have known several incidents involving whales and kayaks mostly caused by kayakers thinking incorrectly that it's OK to be around whales in a kayak because they are quiet and wont disturb them. Whales need to know where you are and what your intentions are...they are used to pangas and in the lagoons they know that the pangas just want to see them...a kayak is something foreign and it may very well scare them...if you do choose to kayak with whales, you should bang your paddle on the kayak every other stroke so they hear you coming...they know where you are etc....never sneak up on a whale!

Like any animal, or person for that matter, a whale could be having a bad day or have had a bad experience with a kayak, or not like the person in the kayak. They are creatures of habit and dont trust new intruders into their world.

The sealions are accustomed to us being there and swimming with them...we choose what group of juveniles to swim with, dont swim around babies etc., stay close to the panga etc.

But I gotta tell you I am much more nervous in a bus or driving on the baja highways than I am swimming with sea lions...true dat!

Now...that big slide used to be part of the bird guano business on the islands before chemical fertilizers were introduced...they slid the sacks of guano down to the beach or waiting boats at high tide.

Juan grew up on San Roque Island and as a kid they slid down the chute in hollowed out turtle shells...how much fun would THAT be!!!!

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 09:41 AM

That is very interesting.Does Juan remember when harvesting turtles was allowed ?? and if so, did he do any harvesting and what do it taste like ????

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.