BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?
no --- 5 (100%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:06 AM
is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?

just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:18 AM

It's an unconscious reaction señor KW. It's really not like most folks read all caps and decide that it is largely "inappropriate". Rather the text just stands up and SHOUTS on its own*. Same for italics. It stands out as a (less) pronounced way of emphasizing words or passages.

Like magenta or OSHA yellow in comparison to blue or green

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:29 AM

Writing in all CAPITALS is considered SHOUTING on forums, and many forums forbid or discourage members from writing in CAPS:

Forum/]Email Etiquette Tip - DON'T SHOUT! If you USE ALL CAPS in your email or message board posts, you will immediately make yourself seem inexperienced or ignorant. Most experienced computer users consider the use of all capital letters to be the Internet equivalent of shouting.

For those of us who spend a lot of time hanging out in cyberspace, messages written in all capital letters are reminiscent of trying to hold a conversation in which one person is shouting every word while others are speaking at a normal volume.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:52 AM

Keith, you're not gonna like this but you opened the door. Caps or fractured language, people do read your posts. I don't mind the caps so much as your indignation when I called you on being a Captain for charter in the SOC without a permit. You said "you took people out for money or gas (gas is money)" for years. That's getting paid to go fishing free without a permit. I bet the Mexican charter guys didn't like it then or now.

Then somebody posts a little piece about boats/electrical -- then we learn all about how you built and worked on boats/electrical from Cape Horn to Martha's Vinyard.

Then (it wrankles me) you lay out the cheapest price one can pay for anything in Baja. So I have learned you're insensitive, a braggart, a scofflaw and a cheapskate just by reading your bad language. As of this minute I can say your ALL CAPS DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT.

That said I will give you this: since you found us and Lil Tasha can't talk, we have softened your ways and you are beginning to wonder how we see you. That's real progress Capitan.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:57 AM

yeah it is hard to read. just be lazy like me and don't cap anything. it's my way of throwing a middle finger salute, but nobody knows it!;)

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Keith, you're not gonna like this but you opened the door. Caps or fractured language, people do read your posts. I don't mind the caps so much as your indignation when I called you on being a Captain for charter in the SOC without a permit. You said "you took people out for money or gas (gas is money)" for years. That's getting paid to go fishing free without a permit. I bet the Mexican charter guys didn't like it then or now.

Then somebody posts a little piece about boats/electrical -- then we learn all about how you built and worked on boats/electrical from Cape Horn to Martha's Vinyard.

Then (it wrankles me) you lay out the cheapest price one can pay for anything in Baja. So I have learned you're insensitive, a braggart, a scofflaw and a cheapskate just by reading your bad language. As of this minute I can say your ALL CAPS DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT.

That said I will give you this: since you found us and Lil Tasha can't talk, we have softened your ways and you are beginning to wonder how we see you. That's real progress Capitan.

I would guess that there is an elementary teacher, or host of teachers who are rolling in their graves as we speak.:lol::lol: and the caps are the least of it.

Nemo55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:29 AM

Ya know,,it's a funny thing...when i read someones post in Caps,,and then one in Small case,, i dont hear anything at all,,,,,maybe i gone deef or sumptin???
Lifes too damn short to get the underwear in a knot over such trivial stuff....Enjoy Fellow Travelers,,Enjoy!!!!

\"The Truth will set you free...But first it will pee you Off\"
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:33 AM

If this was brail I guess caps is shouting-not sure,Doesnt bother me tho course not much does.
Nemo55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:38 AM

Hahahahhaha,,,well at least it's not FogHorn LegHorn,,ahhh Say,,,ArrrYa Listnin to me Boyyyy???
Kid's these day's....Uhu!!

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Well, that's funny!
When I read stuff that's all caps I hear Yosemite Sam.
If I read the same thing in lowercase I hear Jimmy Stewart...
You don't hear that?
Don't tell me it's just me....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo55
Ya know,,it's a funny thing...when i read someones post in Caps,,and then one in Small case,, i dont hear anything at all,,,,,maybe i gone deef or sumptin???
Lifes too damn short to get the underwear in a knot over such trivial stuff....Enjoy Fellow Travelers,,Enjoy!!!!

[Edited on 10-1-2012 by soulpatch]

\"The Truth will set you free...But first it will pee you Off\"
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:49 AM

Who cares? It's your style, why change? Most people can read and comprehend either way.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:55 AM

any one who makes a big deal about ALL CAPS is a marooon....whom the F cares, why would they?
get a life cap haters....:lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:56 AM

It's somewhat bothersome. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an annoyance factor of 3.

I suppose the reason it's done is to not have to hit the shift key when required.

Usually when you come across posts with all capitals you just skip over them. The same goes for baja accounts with no paragraphs. But with time you learn if the guy writes good material and take the trouble to read it. So, in effect, if you want to have the posts that you took the trouble to write, read, then don't use all capitals.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:59 AM

agree on the no paragraphs. = skip those all - tooo hard to read the lines.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It's somewhat bothersome. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an annoyance factor of 3.

I suppose the reason it's done is to not have to hit the shift key when required.

Usually when you come across posts with all capitals you just skip over them. The same goes for baja accounts with no paragraphs. But with time you learn if the guy writes good material and take the trouble to read it. So, in effect, if you want to have the posts that you took the trouble to write, read, then don't use all capitals.

Very nicely-said... and I concur, too.:yes:
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 12:38 PM

HELL, I DON'T MIND AT ALL ! :biggrin: oops caps lock was on :(

[Edited on 10-1-2012 by tortuga]

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
docvandijk

Mood: Vitir y dar vitir

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 12:51 PM

The "poll" I was presented had one choice. It was in small letters, though.

Live life like someone left the gate open!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 01:10 PM

i DONT care IF your PARAGRAPHS are ALL upper CASE :-)

I d0 CaRE wHeN FoLks TypE LikE ThiS!

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I would guess that there is an elementary teacher, or host of teachers who are rolling in their graves as we speak.:lol::lol: and the caps are the least of it.

Man, you can say that again!! :yes::rolleyes:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 02:17 PM

y ask
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 02:21 PM

whatbothersmethemostisthatthishasnothingtodowithbajaandisawasteoftime

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.