BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?
no --- 5 (100%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?
AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 03:18 PM

The majority of online readers are bothered by all caps. Personally I find it harder to read and it always conveys shouting/emphasis when it shouldn't. It bugs me quite a bit.

Why not just use all lowercase like someone suggested earlier? Equal simplicity, and few people would be bothered by that...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
what bothers me the most is that this has nothing to do with baja and is a waste of time

Hi Zac, you know I am only trying to help you in life (with our Facebook exchanges)... so here I also will help (and separating your one word into many may be a waste, too):

BUT, THIS IS the correct forum for this post by capkw: Forum Issues, Comments, or Suggestions

ie. it doesn't have to be about Baja California, just Baja Nomad.

captkw... I already know you like CAPS, so I know you were not SHOUTING... but it is your call, amigo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 05:18 PM

If everything you post is in caps, HOW THE H..L WILL WE KNOW WHEN YOU ARE YELLING.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 05:24 PM

Kinda like POMPANO who likes to write in size 4 letters, and font code, which are much larger that caps or bold.

Once we got used to it no one gives a hoot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
what bothers me the most is that this has nothing to do with baja and is a waste of time

Hi Zac, you know I am only trying to help you in life (with our Facebook exchanges)... so here I also will help (and separating your one word into many may be a waste, too):

BUT, THIS IS the correct forum for this post by capkw: Forum Issues, Comments, or Suggestions

ie. it doesn't have to be about Baja California, just Baja Nomad.

captkw... I already know you like CAPS, so I know you were not SHOUTING... but it is your call, amigo!

Well, if it comes from your mouth, it must be true....just like your history lessons on Facebook:O:O

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 05:44 PM

Okay, and you can tell your friends you heard it from a history book author! :yes: ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 06:01 PM

Captain...

Personally I don't care for posts that are completely written in CAPS...but I care even less for posts that are written completely in CAPS and BOLD. Like some, I think both are shouting and unnecessary.

I don't mind it when they are used to emphasize a word, a thought or in a heading. I think that is an appropriate use. I do that myself often. But maybe some think even that is too much.

BUT...that's just my opinion!

Miguelamo :) ;yes: ;)

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 06:32 PM

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
bigmike58
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 06:43 PM

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:38 PM

bob says caps ARE on the way out.....you'll see. old technology! don't fight the wave!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T

I read all types of forums. Boating, college football, Mexico, dirt bikes, you name it. Out of maybe 30,000 or more posters you are the only one not smart enough to realize you don't post w/caps on. Congrats.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:37 PM
ALL CAPS !!!!!!

This thread on the usage of all capitals reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where Jerry is bothered by Elaine's overusage of exclamation points. The following is a funny scene that captures some of the criticism that nomads feel about the all caps issue. I hope you like it.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
bigmike58
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
bob says caps ARE on the way out.....you'll see. old technology! don't fight the wave!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Classic!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 05:42 AM

Capitan Keith, I think I may have been too harsh in my criticism of your posts. I think it grew out of you threatening to "come down here and slap me around". You don't have to do that. You can shut me up, turn me around your way by just posting in ways to show your good side -- tell us about yourself, your travels in Baja and we may all warm to the "real you".

Besides if you come down here, start slapping me around, people who I owe money to might hear the commotion, come running, jump in to help you and it could get very messy.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?

just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T

all caps is harder to read than lower case. it's just sort of annoying to read all caps.

why do you prefer to write in all caps? :?::?::?::?::?::?:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 07:57 AM

As long as ya don't bust one in my ass .. go for it :biggrin::biggrin:

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 08:31 PM

I'm with msteve...because it is troublesome to underline, or italicize, on these pages, I could never go with all caps 'cause it so limits my range of ways to make myself more clear. It is SO much easier to hit the cap lock key than to go through the steps to underline or change fonts.

At my age, not everyone learned to type in school. I was taught that if I was going to write college papers, I'd better learn this simple skill. I'm always amazed at the number of people, who grew up in the age of constant keyboard use, who can only type with two fingers, and to whom the shift key is a bother.

I like the Sam Harris argument that is very common on line. He states that it is anyone's right to believe that Elvis is alive. But, no one has to respect that belief. And, as soon as you say Elvis is alive, you may assume I've stopped listening. It sort of works the same way with cap-locked posts; do it if it makes you happy, but realize you've likely lost part of any audience you sought.

[Edited on 10-3-2012 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 09:07 PM

I have less problem with caps than I do with those who must write a treatise dozens of lines long -- WITH NO PARAGRAPHS! After about the 6th line, my eyes start crosssing and I lose my place.

There needs to be a rule: make a complete thought in a paragraph no longer than 6 lines. Then, skip a line and begin the same thought or a different one -- or use a larger font.

Actually, I do have a problem with caps -- PLUS large colored fonts. There's only one person who does that and am thankful he stays in OT.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.