Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Imperial Beach/San Diego Lifeguards in Bahia Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 10:38 AM
Imperial Beach/San Diego Lifeguards in Bahia Asuncion

It was a chance meeting a few years ago when we met an Imperial Beach Lifeguard named Aaron. He and his group were already involved in other parts of Baja including doing training in Abreojos and working with the women's club led by Chelo, and they wanted to come to Bahia Asuncion.

We put him in contact with Jamie Morales. It took a while, but the next year Jamie and some of the other surf club members went to Abreojos and attended just a bit of the training.

There were lots of obstacles and difficulties over the few years, but Jamie and Aaron never gave up. And then there was the tragic drowning of a young man in BA last year.

This week, it finally happened --- Aaron and 21 other lifeguards arrived for a 3 day training session. Unfortunately, we could not be there, but friends sent us lots of photos and reports of a very successful 3 day program for young adults and kids of all ages. Here are just a couple of pictures we were sent.

Without this organization, ISLA, it might have not happened now. This summer, they partnered with the Imperial Beach Lifeguard Association to help expand all the good work in Mexico that the IB organization has been doing for years. A great partnership http://www.islasurf.org/isla-operations/mexico/

Conditioning is a big part of the program --- as one of my 14 year old friends said, she was exhausted and she is a daily surfer

Just a couple pix of the training and practice in saving lives.

Never too young to begin to learn

One group shot

And connecting with the local beach dog

It is just a beginning and they are already planning for the next visit. As Aaron explained before, they like to get as many involved as possible and then have a core group of the older ones who will continue to teach the younger ones. It is definitely not a one time thing ---

Kudos to Jamie and Aaron who never quit working on making this happen. And many thanks to our amigo, Saul Mendoza for the photos.

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by DianaT]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 10:43 AM

very cool.

CPR and Basic First Aid should also be taught and refreshed yearly.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 10:49 AM

This is just an awesome deal all around. Nice work lifeguards.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 10:59 AM

nice work. and thanks Diane for helping getting these guys connected. Punta Abreojos has been doing this for many years and it has really made a difference.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 03:25 PM

this was an incredible event with over 70 participants...all the kids were soooo stoked with it as were the lifeguards. I think it changed the lives of many kids and really raised the water safety consciousness in the village. The group is called International Surf Lifesaving Association (www.islasurf.org) and they travel around doing these programs.

It was quite a sight...kinda like Baywatch comes to Asuncion with all the red bikinis at the beach...which are extremely rare here. Here are some photos to add to the great ones Diane posted.

The last day at the end of the day's program, they had a big raffle where the kids chose their prize from a variety of stuff they gave away as prizes.

A huge thanks to all who made this happen and we look forward to having it repeated every year.

[Edited on 10-6-2012 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Just want to give credit where credit is due.This all was possible because of a women named Kathy Selbrede.She is the one that organized this.She got Fire depts to donate equipment(I know,I had to pick it up and drive it down).Same thing with organizing volunteers from Santa Rosalia to help train.We drove back from Santa Rosalia the same day the lifeguards arrived.I disappeared since mingling with strangers is not my thing.She continued working into the night since she put them up at her parent's place.This was after washing a million dishes feeding the crew.Just thought I would let everybody know.

That is really good to know! She should be very, very proud, and you also, for working to start a very valuable program that has endured in Abreojos and has now expanded north. How fantastic. Thank you for sharing that information. :yes::yes:

And speaking of dirty dishes, I forgot to give proper kudos to Ed and Jean for all the housing and cooking --- some did use our house, but we were not there to help with the cooking or dish washing! Next time, we will be, I hope. And more kudos to Elide and Jamie for putting on a giant fish dinner for the group on the last evening. I hear it was a major success.

[Edited on 10-6-2012 by DianaT]

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 04:10 PM

and a shout out to Stan and Capt. Juan for taking some of the lifeguards out to catch the fish for dinner....they got 12 nice yellowtail and some monster calicos

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 05:11 PM

Nice buns in photo#2, Shari.

Thanks for your input and photos!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 05:46 PM

Udo, thems are called "buns of steel!"

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 07:06 PM

Makes my heart happy.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Makes my heart happy.

P>*)))>{

:yes:

surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 03:22 PM

These guys and girls are awsome.... I've known the IB guards since some of them were little groms.
Aaron is a great friend from many years surfing and working with the guys in IB. We talked last year, but they finally found a opening this year!
They are so very organized...and were amazed at the turnout here in Asuncion with only 4 days notice!!!
Ed and Jean were great......all the guards were stoked, and it was fun hanging with them at Punta Loma watching them properly surf the place. :)

Talking with Aaron,Jaime,Matt,Adam,Dave etc etc......I'm thinking they can't wait to come back!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.