BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: dodge diesel problems-Ideas?
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 01:13 PM
dodge diesel problems-Ideas?

On the trip down, the truck ran great until north of G.N.. The last 300 miles to loreto, whenever i punched it, it shut down, motor wouldn't quit, but just idled, foot off the gas and again accelerated normally, and the truck ran fine. Just no gas when punched. I changed the filter, and, no change. Replaced the fuel pump-same. Computer code indicated the temp- coolant sensor reading overheating, engine shutting down. replaced that. Mi mechanico, is of mind that it is the injector pump. He's probably right, but wondering if anyone has other ideas before i go there. Thanks, Bob
Kingfish

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 01:27 PM

Bob, if you have a VP44 pump, it's going out! That's exactly what my 1998.5 did when it went out. Do you have a fuel pressure gage? Are you using the stock life pump? Good luck
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 01:31 PM

its the "lift pump"

its expensive too...common on dodges i hear

mine went out right by the border in TJ ...the WORST part of town YUK

warranty repair thank god

edit:link http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-repairs-replacemen...

[Edited on 10-12-2012 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:00 PM
dodge truck

The truck is a1998 24valve 5.9, 6 cylinder
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:05 PM

When the fuel pump was replaced, i believe that included, or was the lift pump. Am i correct in this assumption?
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:21 PM

One more question. Is there a filter in the gas tank?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:22 PM

there's 2 fuel pumps

did you replace both??

our website is:
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 05:09 PM

Bob, I've only replaced one fuel pump. Whistler, it always happens when i punch it after it is warm. That's what led me to replace the sensor, before i went for replacing the injector pump. My mechanico has a place in la paz that reconstructs them for 4-5000 pesos. he'll remove it and send it by bus. Seems that is my next move. Que piensa?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 05:58 PM

There is an authorized Cummins dealer in La Paz, I have also had very good service from Servicio Diesel Arranas.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 07:21 PM

This is an odd call, but check the electronic device that sits at the end of the throttle cable. It turns mechanical energy into a computer signal for the engine controller. When the engine drops to an idle, try shifting into neutral and back to drive. When mine failed on my '01 1/2, it would respond to the throttle again after the gear shift change and a couple of taps on the accelerator.

When I went looking for it, I also found that my throttle cable was 90% to the breaking point!!! (170k)

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TPS98502

About $160.00 is the going rate.

In your truck you should be able to turn the ignition switch on and off two times without hitting the starter, and get error codes to read on your odometer. If 0216, it is the IP, or LP or Both.

Good luck.

Wait until the fuel starts running back into the tank every time you park up hill! The valve cover has to be removed to even SEE the places where the O-rings and banjo bolts have to be made AIR tight, not just diesel tight!!! I love a Cummins, sometimes I'd like to get my felonious hands around the throat of one of the.....oh never mind.

[Edited on 10-13-2012 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:53 AM

my advice...tow the thing to a dealer north of the border...forget local dealers

maybe check with your insurance to see if the tow is covered

you could replace everything and STILL have a problem...better to KNOW!!!

our website is:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 07:02 AM

Or, don't "punch it" till ya get back ... just saying

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
my advice...tow the thing to a dealer north of the border...forget local dealers

maybe check with your insurance to see if the tow is covered

you could replace everything and STILL have a problem...better to KNOW!!!
That would be stupid seeing as how there is a Cummins dealer with factory trained technicos in La Paz. Working on a 24 valve Cummins is not rocket science.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the input. Towing north from loreto won't be an option. We're not returning north till july, plan on a trip to the mainland jan and feb. I love the mechanicos in mexico, they fix things or make do. My favorite was about 1989, we were about to camp on the north end of mag bay, and the fuel pump on our old suburban went kaput, one was found in posa grande, a guy brought it out and installed it. we were stuck on a dirt road leading to the water and an old-old citron comes buy with a gas can on top with a hose to the motor. That's all you need for a fuel pump. What a hoot, take a deep breath and just deal with it. My wife and young sons got a kick out of it. I'm probably going with the repair of the injector pump. Appreciate all the ideas. Bob

[Edited on 10-13-2012 by Bob and jane]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monolocoThat would be stupid seeing as how there is a Cummins dealer with factory trained technicos in La Paz. Working on a 24 valve Cummins is not rocket science.

opps...i didnt know they were "factory trained"

so...do they send them to the cummins factory in the usa to get trained???

i dont think so...

loreto is 14 hours south of the san diego dealer with a professional staff and PARTS on the shelf or an hour away

one day up
one day to fix
one day back

a three day fix...with a guarantee

lots of flatbeds go north daily empty and the drivers take CASH...sometimes less than gas....afterall this is mexico

i hope its the injector pump..and fixed
still... could be just a a little electric part
you never know when those are dead

our website is:
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:14 PM

This is the absolute best forum I know of re Dodge Ram diesel trucks. Highly recommend you check it out. Oh, and good luck!

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

"I'm too young to be this old!"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by monolocoThat would be stupid seeing as how there is a Cummins dealer with factory trained technicos in La Paz. Working on a 24 valve Cummins is not rocket science.

opps...i didnt know they were "factory trained"

so...do they send them to the cummins factory in the usa to get trained???

i dont think so...

loreto is 14 hours south of the san diego dealer with a professional staff and PARTS on the shelf or an hour away

one day up
one day to fix
one day back

a three day fix...with a guarantee

lots of flatbeds go north daily empty and the drivers take CASH...sometimes less than gas....afterall this is mexico

i hope its the injector pump..and fixed
still... could be just a a little electric part
you never know when those are dead
I'd hate to see the ticket on that one. Why do you think the only mechanics that understand diesels must be trained in the US? Cummins is an international company. There are plenty of Cummins diesels in La Paz, they know how to fix them.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:47 PM

This is the site I go to for answers. A lot of knowledge here. I've heard if the VP44 is starved for fuel, it ruins it That why all 24 valvers should have a fuel pressure gauge. I have a 12 valve. Love it. Anyways, check this site out.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/

[Edited on 10-14-2012 by brewer]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 07:43 PM

I have a 98.5 and run 40,000 miles a year up and down the peninsula, my two cents is that it's probably the injector pump with a dead pedal as you describe. However, all the Dodge Cummins need to have the lift pump replaced immediately when you buy your trucks. If you've ever looked at them you would know why. Go with an industrial application, http://www.pureflowairdog.com/ and you will be very happy.

Install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor all the time, the injector pump is not an easy bolt on deal for the normal guy trolling down the road.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 08:12 PM

Mexican mechanics are incredible...I would look for an automotive electrician.
Your problem sounds like either a mass air flow sensor (could be just gummed with oil; clean with carb cleaner or starting fluid) or a throttle position sensor, which I have no experience fixing.

Um, I think I meant "Camshaft position sensor". But the throttle position sensor would fit your symptoms too.

Good Luck!

[Edited on 10-16-2012 by vandy]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.