BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Whats your favorite fish and why?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 11:47 AM
Whats your favorite fish and why?

We did this 2 3 years ago and had some fun,I should have said fresh/salt or both.

Mine are as follows,fresh.
Rainbow only if they come from a cold fast moving mountain river where they are strong,willing jumpers,picky,beautiful and the scenery ain,t all that bad.
I have to add the Smallmouth bass,as tough as they come,never say die,never ever turn belly up great jumpers when the temp is right and a added bonus they love topwater!!

Saltwater where does one start their are many I haven,t caught,I love the whole jack family,the tuna,caught all but the Big Eye and a zillion others but here goes.
1...Dorado met this guy in the navy,a beautiful fish that can jump with anyone,the only problem his has is many are hooked when people are trolling for billfish and tuna and are over-rigged so they are unable to show their true style but hook them with the right tackel:o doesn,t get much better and on the table :o
2.... The Bluefin Tuna my first encounter was in 63 at Guadalupe island this fish doesn,t waste his energy jumping a true power house who doesn,t tire a he is pleasing to the eye.

Well thats mine,What your favorite fish fish and why?
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 11:51 AM

Whatever my neighbor brings home after a day on the water.....not counting Bonito or Jurel. They're cat food.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 11:57 AM

spotfin, calico, tuna, dorado and wahoo.....

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 12:01 PM

Flying fish - they always make me happy when they flutter up in front of my windsurfer and we go speeding along together!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 12:15 PM

Here are my favorite fish:
http://www.ballastpoint.com/beers-of-ballast-point-brewing-a...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 12:21 PM

you are a bad man, man!

yellowtail pale ale is my fave beer on the planet!!!!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 12:39 PM

I'm the only one I know that considers yellowtail a favorite. But almost any fresh, bled & cooled right after it's caught, fish that isn't mushy. And I love tuna salad sandwiches!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 01:20 PM

Hands down - pierna. You can catch sweet bonless fillets for 60 to 70 pesos/kilo at the Bravo market in La Paz.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Speaking of yellowtail,flying fish makes for a great bait for them in New Zealand.Sorry, windgrrl.

It's okay...I know they are jumping out of the water for a reason. I always enter the water knowing that I've suddenly dropped way down on the predator hierarchy!
:o
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 03:03 PM

Bonefish. Because you have to outwit them. They spook real easy. In fact some call them that - the spook.

Wading-for-Bonefish-1.jpg - 20kB
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Here are my favorite fish:
http://www.ballastpoint.com/beers-of-ballast-point-brewing-a...

Good one. Had a Yellowtail Ale last night. Their Sculpin is among my top 5 favorite beers period.

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 03:32 PM

You don,t have to go far for Bones they are catching them in good numbers in Mission Bay of all places,first it was Corvina and now Bones,whats next?
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:26 PM

I understand what your saying,they are getting them from boats at the bay whats surprising is the numbers? and on a strange jig of some kind,getting right down to it I just like fish:lol:
Rob

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:38 PM

There is no fish on the planet that has the intelligence, tenacity, strength, power, belligerance, and overall challenge to catch as the Sea of Cortez Yellowtail. I have caught yellowtail over on the Pacific side from San Diego to Cabo and they are simply not the same animal as the reef dwelling Yellowtail on the Sea of Cortez from La Paz to Bay of Los Angeles. These fish will hurt you in ways unimaginable with bursts of strength that will hold you spellbound and unbeliveing. When you think you are pretty hot and can catch them whenever you want, they get lockjaw and show you who is the king.

When the guys on the Pacific side think they are really fishermen because they can land a 50 pounder on 20 pound line, then they come over to our side and find out that 80 pound line is really an undergunned line and the yellows over here at 30 plus pounds can make a fool out of you on 80 lb.

I once caught a 30 lb. Yellowtail and wondered why I managed to keep it on the rod in only 50 feet of water, but when I opened up the fish I found that it's heart had split in half during the fight. These fish give everything they have to get you down to the rocks and coral where they know that they can cut you off.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:42 PM

Lenguado .... delicious, firm meat, easy to clean and fight hard!

No worries
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:56 PM

I love them all but my favorite is the corbina because I grew up with my dad catching them in front of our beach house in Del Mar then we found them south of San Felipe and the corbinas and croakers kept us coming back!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:57 PM

Copper River Salmon

and

Golden Trout

are my favorite fish.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 05:46 PM

These were another favorite of mine a little off the wall but fun as hell,Bellmont Pier and Seal Bch tackle shops would have Bat Ray and shark contests every summer,Mud Marlins are a bunch of fun,make long runs and jump if hooked in shallow water/surf,Penn 68,s and 500,s in the surf with 4/0 senators off the jetties.
The pic is one of my winners 125# won another with a Hammerhead off the Seal Bch jetty south.

The good looking one on the left is Baitcast girls:lol:

[Edited on 10-14-2012 by baitcast]

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 05:55 PM

The one in my taco!!:light::lol::lol::lol:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I love them all but my favorite is the corbina because I grew up with my dad catching them in front of our beach house in Del Mar then we found them south of San Felipe and the corbinas and croakers kept us coming back!

I also grew up on corbina & abs from Crystal Cove (N. Laguna). What a great place to grow up (mostly). Corbina baked in garlic butter. Better than lobster. Red & pink abs sliced thin, pounded and fried in garlic butter, sometimes dusted with flour to suck up the garlic & butter. Only memories now:(

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.