BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Whats your favorite fish and why?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:18 PM

Sorry about the high jack but I guess shellfish counts?
I tried the canned abs from Asuncion and I thought they sucked. Tried two different priced cans and a can of caracol. Tasted about the same... Canned... yuck!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:23 PM

Neil Bohanon from the Fly Hutch had "The Top 3".

Steelhead, Tarpon, Dorado.

He only flyfished. Having caught all 3 I would rate tarpon as the best. But I've had dorado days that were better than tarpon days.

I like the lenguado suggestion. It's all so personal. Sometimes you're wading the surf for flatties and swear it's the best day of your life.

It's like that quote -
She: "Don Juan, finally you know what love is"
He: "Not finally. But once again"

Huh?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:33 PM

Wahoo. Fun to catch, good tasting, and yield more meat pound for pound than almost any fish.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 08:13 PM

steelhead, baby, followed closely by dorado...both on the fly...makes yer heart stop!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Oh,another friend uses his trawler as a tender for salmon up in Alaska.The seiners off load their catch and he delivers it to the market.178 grand for 45 days.He use to make big bucks fishing "black cod".Sold his permits.

Is "black cod" sablefish or black rockfish? I see it in the supermarkets all the time.

We used to catch sablefish off the redondo barge in the 60's, although I wouldn't rate it as a great gamefish. It's strange because Ray Cannon's book says they don't occur south of Monterey.

A great eating fish. We'd bring up 2 or 3 at a time sometimes.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 08:19 PM

Scorpion fish or Mexican Hogfish. Both delicious!!!
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 06:28 AM

Alaskan Steelhead on a fly. Big and fresh from the ocean. Haven't killed one in years, but have caught lots of them.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 11:12 AM

Yellow tail. Fun to catch, good to eat.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 07:41 PM

One year I was fishing Bahia Asuncion in November. I was Trolling very large
rapalas for yellowtail. I caught a lot of very large Calico Bass.
as we passed the rocky areas.
They were all well larger than 5 lbs. It looked like this was the place
where all lunker calico went to die. As for that 10 pounder you
may want to ask Shari if such a beast exists there. For pound for pound fight Jack cravel puts a real mean bend on the pole.
For table fare I like the Huachinago al mojo de ajo.
Light takle- for good fight and good eats the trigger fish.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
This is my theory.
Locally lighter line is warranted because of the bait used.I have a friend with a 49lb.yellow on his wall.He caught it at Rocky Point in Santa Monica bay,fishing from a 16ft. skiff.He said the fish swam out,away from the rocks.Because of the lighter line,I don't think the knew it was hooked or was aware of it's predicament.He was guided out.
I seen the same thing on party boats.I seen a women(a regular) land yellows at Catalina faster with a spinning outfit than people fishing heavier line. same thing.When you pull hard ,the fish goes into panic mode.Like pulling a halibuts head out of the water.
I don't think there is any difference between Cortez yellows or Pacific yellows.It depends on how you fish them.Heck,Harry Kime became well known for fishing Loreto yellows on flyrod.
I agree that fish sense more drag and pull harder but I believe it has more to do with water temperature.
with cold water metabolism slows down and fish become sluggish,water warms up and these fish eat,digest and reproduce quicker. water gets too warm and becomes oxygen poor and fishing suffers. I think this is the difference between SOC and pacific fish.
but of course JMHO;)
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 08:50 PM
fish

HOLA, for myself I have to many fav's !! but if you ever get to eat "chino miro"" aka.. clown fish..damn good eating !! no one seems to know the trick's to catching them !! 7 strand berkley leader and sally's crab parts for bait !! let it run with the tide surge,,in the rock's valleys with no weight... and when hit,,set the hook !! then,,,,,wait..and I mean up to a minute !! they hang in crevice's and expand there pic fin's like anchor"s and you think your snagged !! not !! and I'm talking about in the breaking surge in less than 5 feet of water in the rock's !! sorta like sheephead and parrot fish..in less water than you would ever think that you could catch dinner!! sorta ,,but better than lobster..since thats part of there diet !! "tight lines" K &T :cool:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 08:56 PM

you ate nemo?:o
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 09:02 PM
ate nemo !!

HOLA, ? what did indians call lousy hunters?? vegaterians :lol::?:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
This is my theory.
Locally lighter line is warranted because of the bait used.I have a friend with a 49lb.yellow on his wall.He caught it at Rocky Point in Santa Monica bay,fishing from a 16ft. skiff.He said the fish swam out,away from the rocks.Because of the lighter line,I don't think the knew it was hooked or was aware of it's predicament.He was guided out.
I seen the same thing on party boats.I seen a women(a regular) land yellows at Catalina faster with a spinning outfit than people fishing heavier line. same thing.When you pull hard ,the fish goes into panic mode.Like pulling a halibuts head out of the water.
I don't think there is any difference between Cortez yellows or Pacific yellows.It depends on how you fish them.Heck,Harry Kime became well known for fishing Loreto yellows on flyrod.

That's absolutely true. It's like a bucking horse. Sit on it and he'll buck. Get off and he's all calm. Wild things hate and fear being restrained. It's important to understand this because many people believe that fish fight so hard because of the pain they feel. It has very little to do with that.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 05:27 AM

Skipjack Joe -
Answer to your question-

Is "Black Cod" known also as sablefish or black rock fish? Black Cod is not really a cod, and is also known as sablefish and butterfish. I do not know about black rock fish. My source for this answer was this weekends ad from Santa Monica Seafood in Costa Mesa, California.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 06:30 AM

This is great!!! nothing lke a fishin gabfest,all the junkies get together and argue.

So far it looks like the Steelhead fresh and the Dorado salt,we need to do this more often fish reports are fine but pic,s are better,stories we need more stories which reminds me:lol:

Got a pic of one of our members I think I,ll show he doesn't get all that involved,you will see him in the off-road,but on this thread his gone wild which is great,I know one thing he knows the beach!!!!!!!!!! these are beach caught WSB:o

[Edited on 10-15-2012 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 10:15 AM

I particularly like the copper colored ones with the convex tails!;)
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 12:19 PM

Favorite fish to catch? Well in Oregon I would have to say Albacore, I live in the heart of Salmon/Trout/Steelhead country and I do enjoy catching them but after fishing Baja there just isn't any comparison to the burning runs of a Yellowtail or a Wahoo which by the way are my favorite fish in Baja to catch.
As far as eating goes its hard to beat Wahoo or Halibut~Yummmmm

Live Indubiously!
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 12:39 PM

Sculpin or small calico's. Barely legal, not the bull bass. Eat.

Barracuda roe is a favorite also.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 02:32 PM

That applies to everything in life find a mentor and save a ton of time,on the cattle boats there was always one guy who was hooking up more than most and always if you looked closely you would find Baitcast real close,I always spent a great deal of time watching these guys,it was always some small thing he was doing different.

We are lucky successful fisherman usually are only to happy to help when asked questions as to whats working,can,t shut some up but I always listened and watched anyway:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.