Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14
Author: Subject: Hurricaine Paul rain, wind & road reports
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:18 AM

Just checked the river again here in Loreto. Part of the road is missing but cars and trucks are getting from one side to the other. Ingenuity. Talked to Luis from the phone company. There are currently no services in Zaragoza, Juncalito or Escondido. The phone company is waiting for bulldozers to clear the road of debris near Notri where the road was flooded. We hear that part of the new bridge by Ligui has collapsed. Business as usual here in Loreto Centro. I saw a small plane land so the airport is open. And the bridge over the river in Loreto held.
My thoughts go out to everyone in Mulege. They have suffered so much.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:22 AM

I cant believe we still have internet...it's blowing 50 mph easy and our roof is lifting off so Juan is tying it down from the inside...windows look like they may very well blow in so we have taken refuge in the new Dolphin Room with a cement roof and internet and a front row view of the raging sea. Wave are smashing over the road along the bluff here...

Gypsies still have a roof, our big radio antenna fell down and missed StandingWave's camper by inches....whew. This is the biggest wind I have experienced here....I figure we are in the worst of it now...hope it passes quickly

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:28 AM

OMG girl please take care.
I'm going to give Roberto a big smooch, if our roof lasts!

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:31 AM

Quote:

Paul pulls its punch before hitting Baja; Rafael brushes Bermuda By Dr. Jeff Masters Published: 12:31 PM GMT on October 17, 2012 Hurricane Paul weakened rapidly just before landfall on Mexico's Baja coast on Tuesday evening, as wind shear of 30 - 40 knots tore into the storm. Paul peaked as a Category 3 hurricane with 120 mph winds at 2 pm PDT on Monday, but was just a tropical storm with 60 mph winds Tuesday evening when the center finally reached the coast of Baja. Paul hit a region of coast that is very sparsely populated, and I expect damage from the weakening storm was relatively light. Rainfall amounts of 2 - 3" were common over Baja from Paul, but there have been no reports of damaging flooding thus far. Paul has weakened to a tropical storm with 40 mph winds this morning, and will likely be declared dead later today or on Thursday. Significant moisture from Paul is not expected to reach the U.S.

Good luck to all and safe keeping....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:41 AM

I heard the rain report on the radio...Todos Santos got the most reported at 8.5" and Comondu area, Lopez Mateos an inch or two less.

so far our roof is holding as are the windows...I hope this is all Paul's got for us.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:50 AM

per morning VHF report from Pto Escondido...Hwy 1 at Mirador blocked by boulders but bulldozers have been at it, should be cleared soon. Hwy 1 south of the Clam Shack (on the flat before the Mirador) has a section of the roadway lifted out and turned sideways, impassable at that time.
we all know the speed and cleverness of the road repair crews so this could even be old news by now.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:51 AM

Russ

How did Punta Chivato hold up?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 11:27 AM

I think Pt. Chivato had less rain than anywhere in this area.
The road is closed at least at the estuary.
East side

west side

Photos from Mike & Linda Newton

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 11:37 AM

I would have guessed we had about 10 inches but that sounded like too much. 8.5 inches is bastante lluvia but like I said, it poured for 2 days! Where's Woodrow? I'm going out in my Tacoma to reconoiter and buy beer just for the fun of it. Tio
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 11:37 AM

Anyone with a cell and a car plug could obviously recharge that way. Walls and windows can be replaced. This is terrible, but apparently no loss of life. Have to be grateful for that, at least. Just have to wait for recovery of services/roads. Hope this is the end of this bloody storm. Shari, you are still getting hammered? Hang onto your hat...I mean your roof.
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:14 PM
Best spot for info

Well once again Baja Nomad is the best place for info about the peninsula. Thanks you guys for your info and eyewitness reports. Great video from Constitucion. We passed through there in Oct 2006 and it looked just like that. Sorry to those folks that had damage to there stuff glad no loss of life reported. Fair well all !
Saludos, Tortuga, Si Se Puede !

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:16 PM

Well, I think San Carlos got the worse of it from this end.
Our wind thingy was the first thing to go when the storm hit about 2p.m. yesterday - so I have no idea about the wind.

All night Monday night/Tuesday morning we had incredible rain - steady all night.

Then the torrential downfall Tuesday and about 6p.m. the rain quit and wind. . . noisy, howling, dry wind - all night Tuesday night/Wednesday morning - til after 6 this morning. It was amazing. The you could almost see the water in the puddles, the panga evaporating into the wind. Took the mules beberio down a full inch(from overflowing) - it is normally kept 3" from the rim.

Then calm with very grey skies. About 11 - poof.. . . . the sun came out, the power back on. It had gone off the first big blow Tuesday about 2 or so in the afternoon.

We lost some roof tiles on a new construction, and that is about it. Mainly we are just so very very waterlogged. and are so happy to have fixed the leaking roof after the first rains in August - instead of waiting until next year before the rains. My husband is a procrastinator of the worst kind!!!! Only 1 leak this time - in his room!!!!

Now, are just wondering how the tree farm and the house in San Nicolas between Loreto and Mulege on the Sea of Cortez faired?????
For sure the road in got worse - than it was 1 week ago when we were there for 5 days. Will go back next week!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:21 PM

wow - can't believe this again, and Mulege takes another huge hit on the rio.

Flying Sams had to cancel this weekend's clinic at Lopez mateo as runway is not useable.

Serenidad obviously out too.
18 Baja bush pilots at a fly in at Loreto when it got hit. reports to follow.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:29 PM

Any news on Cabo San Lucas area?
My step-son, girlfriend, and their new baby have been staying in our camper and am wondering how it held up. Hopefully they went to the in-laws!
LaRibereña
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:53 PM

Any word on San Ignacio?
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 01:23 PM

I have heard that the river is running and the road into the village is flooded.

It is still raining lightly but thank goodness the wind has decreased...whew!

the Paul party is underway now in the Dolphin Room...ceviche anyone?

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 01:25 PM

So glad you are safe!
How is Casa Gypsy, does she still have a roof?

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 01:28 PM
On-the-ground photos

Thanks Russ & Oladulce. Pictures mean alot to those of us that are not there in the places we love.

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I think Pt. Chivato had less rain than anywhere in this area. The road is closed at least at the estuary.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 01:32 PM

[Edited on 10-17-2012 by gnukid]
joshgesa

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 01:35 PM
Mulege - Tom and Patti Higginbotham

This is Sharon, Tom and Patti Higginbotham's daugter. Does anyone have any news on them and everyone else from The Jungle area? Pam and Randy, John Dinning, etc.?
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.