Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14
Author: Subject: Hurricaine Paul rain, wind & road reports
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 07:21 AM

our reort here for la bocana is exactly the same as shari's in asuncion

never lost power which is a righr miracle.
never lost phone.
lost internet in the PM and it never came back.

the winds howled all night long but the rain was ever slight but nonstop.

mega black clouds over the ocean now but I actually see a patch of blue sky in the midst of the blackness !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 07:36 AM

How is the town of Bahia Asuncion? Are there new arroyos and is the town full of sand run off? I would really like to see some pictures if you get out and about today. Hope the destruction is minimal.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 07:45 AM

I havent been to town yet but will do so after breakfast...the night was long and we didnt get much sleep. Yesterday the bulldozer cleared a bigger opening for the arroyo by your place which is good...too bad all the rain fell at night so we didnt cruise around except to put buckets under drips.

It was funny because people were scrambling to find their old AM radios to hear storm updates. We are still listening here this morning and I just heard the bridge at Km 81 is down so no one seems to know about the Ligui bridge cause they cant get to it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:18 AM

I just talked to Rick Barber in Mulege via cell phone who lives up by Saul's store and he has half a meter of water in his place and said that the water level was 5' less than Hurricane Jimena so the river area is most likely flooded...sorry for the bad news amigos.

San Ignacio river is running and so the road is cut off from the village.
The highway by Palo Verde near Sta.Rosalia is closed...arroyo running still.

It is raining again here and more wind now.

the radio is asking for help with drinking water, food, mosquito repellent for the villages.

Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:26 AM

Facebook from Marv and Cathy Perrigo (now in San Carlos). She said house M-3 in Oasis 4 feet of water. House 56 in Oasis 8. All safe. Lots of mud. She said Orchard would have been maybe 10-12 feet of water. Hang in there Mulege Shari, thank you so much for contacting Rick Barber, our weather guru.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:28 AM

Just heard from Mulege very briefly by cell phone; only got two data points due to brevity of call, both in Oasis Park (next development downstream from big highway bridge after the Orchard). These numbers are preliminary in my book due to hasty initial assessment-
House M-3 in Oasis Park got 4 feet of water,
House 56 in Oasis (mine) got ~8feet.

So far as known at this point, everybody there is safe but wet & muddy for those down by the river. Not sure how this translates to downtown, but hard for those numbers not to have put good flow of water thru town.
Orchard would have been 2-4 feet higher than my house, maybe 10-12 feet.
Pretty close to Hurricane John numbers.
Purely my guess but would probably be less mud than John, given John & recent floods in the Mulege estuary.

I'm going to guess there will be multiple road washouts up & down the peninsula so access will take a day or so to restore. Generally the government has that in hand pretty quick these days since getting caught flat footed after H.John. Electric where knocked out will likewise take a few days.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lawnday
8.00 a.m. electric and internet back on line...winds 25 mph from the south, light rain, the storm is located 20 miles due south from town (according to my vecino, jose) going to have a look around town.....highest wind speed last night 40 to 50 mph.................... steve

Thanks steve. Keep us informed.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:38 AM

Abreojos wind report via vhf radio is 50 knots...getting nasty here now...sideways rain and more wind

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:52 AM

I've been following from afar. Sounds like everyone is getting a bit, some more than others. Great reports everyone.

But no pictures to share? During storm or afterwards? Blanca or Shari, I bet others besides me would love to see some pacific cloud & wave pictures. Or video clips.

It sounds like everyone fared well, except perhaps Mulege.

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
How is the town of Bahia Asuncion? Are there new arroyos and is the town full of sand run off? I would really like to see some pictures if you get out and about today. Hope the destruction is minimal.
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:04 AM

Okay, mulegemichael just borrowed a cell phone and made a one minute call to me. We are at #54 in the Oasis. River road it out, all roads north and south not passable at this time. All our windows blew out, both property line walls down, palapa, of course...gone. No bueno, but seems as far as he knows, people are safe, obviously our main concern.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:13 AM
South to Loreto

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
.......... Crowds were gathered at the river, too, watching the muddy torrent sweeping to the sea. We thought it was very impressive until the woman next to me showed me the photos she had taken an hour earlier. ..... I've heard no news of casualties. The power is on, the internet works.

Sounds like its OK in Loreto!! We were headed down today but decided to hold off until Friday, SD to GN then next day on to Loreto. Its hard to just sit here looking at the Evil Ess You Vee all loaded up with kayaks, fishing rods, etc and not be going.

EdZ KG6UTS
sailgal

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:17 AM

Has anyone heard anything about the other side of ther river...Huerta Don Chano?
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:20 AM

Wishing everyone well! Hoping our roof stays on!
All my Baja friends please stay safe.

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:21 AM

This eastern Pacific satellite image showing water vapor and jet stream perhaps explain why Paul split into two pieces, one rain and one wind. If you think about the two trajectories, it looks like an automobile T-bone accident about to happen.

"Hurricane Paul, still with a distinct eye, is visible just off the tip of the Baja Peninsula in this NOAA satellite image from Monday afternoon." ... from this website.

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29
I don't ever remember seeing a hurricane split into 2 cells like Paul did. The rain which preceded the hurricane seems to have moved across and the Hurricane/TS is still chugging up the west coast. Prayers to all those affected I know the Nomad community will help in any way we can.

[Edited on 2012-10-17 by bryanmckenzie]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:31 AM

I just spoke to Mulegena and their new house if fine and dandy and workers are already beginning to muck out the river houses that got a few meters of water...around 10' or so. Her old house had the window smashed out and wall was down as are other walls and house windows down there...sorry amigos.

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:34 AM

From telecon with Saul at his store/mercado:

The lower part of his store where the liquor/wine is shelved got wet, that's about 3 feet above the roadbed in front of the store. :(
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:36 AM

ruh roh....things are getting bad here now...wind just picked up to like 40 knots, rain and we will most likely lose internet now...so........have a good day everyone if I lose ya

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:39 AM

Re: Mulege- Just talked to Saul Davis & Raphael Cuesta, separate calls.
Everybody is OK so far as both know, all safe in town by current reports.

Saul's store did not get wet (but close) except for the liquor dept which is low & cleanable. All family OK, they are cleaning up & getting ready for business. He has a generator to keep the frozen & cold stuff OK.
La Fortuna got wet, part of new Malecon road to Loma Azul came apart & all new light poles are down. Road to Lighthouse is out.
Water in town is out, ditto power but power co. working on restoring power. I'm guessing water to Loma Azul is out by washout of line when water pressure gets restored (my guess), and no doubt water to south side of river will require rebuild of water line at river crossing under bridge & maybe some washouts.
Saul has a "hurricane" phone that is working, doesn't need electricity as long as phone service is up which it is. For some reason dialing out on cell phones is dodgy; dialing in works fine.

Raphael who is in the Oasis mobilizing clean up says my house, #56 got 10" shy of ceiling, call it 7ft. Landgraf say 6.5 ft. Bill & Judy Havig at end of Oasis easterly & southerly- not sure of depth but over the counter tops at least; they were getting the kitchen cleaned out when I spoke to them yesterday a.m. & storing all above flood line so not the end of the earth for them. Gene Lee will have gotten hammered.
No specific word on Jimmie & Annie Christopher, but I'm sure they are safe & Quito Rosas helped them mobilize.

Orchard will have gotten hammered, tho no specific word on depths & lot#'s. Maribel's will be ~1ft less depth than H.John from 2006.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 09:59 AM

Hang in there Baja Sur Nomads! Living in paradise has its price! I hope nobody is hurt!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:13 AM

Punta Pequeña, BCS Wed 10/17 10:50 AM

Current conditions: Wind South (120-180°). Average 18mph Gusts 30mph. Misty rain and ocean spray. Visibility varies 1/2 mile to 10 miles as squalls continue to pass through. Whitecaps, but not severe popcorn seas and not "whiteout" sea surface conditions. No storm swell or lines of waves or giant waves breaking out at sea like you see sometimes. Some wind chop waves breaking close to shore.

Wind - Max winds were East, 10pm to 12AM ish last night. Sustained in the 30's with gusts 58mph. Direction switched to South in the middle of the night and blew 20-30mph.

Rainfall- 1"

Overall no "extreme" conditions here on the spot where we're often in a weather shadow, but the weather they usually get in areas all around us pretty much guarantees the roads in/out of here won't be passable for a while.

There is an extreme high tide right now 7.1ft. There's usually 15 ft of beach between the bluff and the water on an average high tide. Here's a pic from 30 min ago during a clearing. Another squall is passing through right now.

[Edited on 10-17-2012 by oladulce]
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.