BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: snorkeling jan/feb
gwh

[*] posted on 7-25-2003 at 05:30 AM
snorkeling jan/feb

am planning a first time trip down the baja for jan/feb of /04 . we have zero experience with the waters off of todos santos, cabo san lucas, la paz, bay of conception etc... is the water warm enough to snorkle in without a wet suit or must one have about a 3 mil suit? what would the average water temp be? if you use a suit do you have to rinse it out with fresh water or is it ok. after swimming does one have to shower ones self as well? would a small inflatable pontoon boat need a permit? this is the type with two small pontoons and a seat frame in the middle. :?:
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2003 at 10:40 PM
It's pretty chilly that time of the year.

I would definitely recommend a wetsuit at that time of the year, even on the Sea of Cortez side, even though it's considerabley warmer than the Pacific side. Todos Santos is not a good destination for snorkelling. The waves will knock you on your butt. If you're into sufing it's the pace to go. As far as good snorkelling places, try Cabo Pulmo, just north of los Cabos, and Chilen Bay, between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San LUcas. -Stephanie
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-2-2003 at 08:59 PM

I think you would probably be better off with a wetsuit, though I have snorkeled at Cabo Pulmo in Nov. and up by Punta Pescadero on Christmas day without one, also with the sea lions out at Los Islotes without in Novemeber but decided it was too cold several times in January out by Tecolote(out of La Paz). I agree with Stephanie that the Pacific at Todos Santos can be dangerous. I can't comment about the permits that you need at the Loreto Marine Park or at Cabo Pulmo now. I'd rinse off after Concepcion if you enter the water close to the shallow populated areas because you can see the pollution from the highway. I think you'd be ok not rinsing most other areas if you don't mind having that little bit of salt crust in your hair.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.