Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
Friends used new road and had to pay import fees on food they had to bring down

How much food and what was the duty/
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 09:32 AM

Will ck on food,but they said just about every one was paying 200 pescos or $ 20.00

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 10:23 AM

I just crossed the border and there are many new updates. Will post when I get home later. No fmm facility yet. Otay closest facility.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 11:13 AM

I would be interested in knowing about getting our visa's as well, as wel plan on going down again in December, and Tijuana always makes Mr. Gypsy a bit cranky. :yes: I would rather have it mostly figured out prior to getting to that border crossing!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 11:46 AM

just crossed the new crossing, pretty slick. the only trouble spot is entering the international road, but they are working on that.
lots and lots of cars going to secondary, checking registrations and I.D.s and everyone get a look under the hood.
upon exiting secondary there's a group of young ladies in schoolgirl uniforms that hand you an ice cold tecate,give you a little peck on the cheek and say welcome to mexico!:tumble:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 02:26 PM

Just ate shrimp at La Fonda. Time to take a nap. My wife wants another margarita. I love the new border crossing.

AlanDow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 03:32 PM

Here is the latest info from Baja Bound regarding getting FMM - before November 5th it appears we could be in for a "long walk" if the old crossing is not open when we cross:

Hi Alan,
We tracked down a phone number for Mexican Immigration at the San Ysidro crossing (Puerto Mexico).
I spoke to two different people, yesterday and today to try to get a more complete story.

At this time, the Immigration office is still at Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro. The one at El Chaparral will not open apparently until November 5th.

First a bit of background of what is going on with the crossings in my personal experience.
In the last almost week, sometimes they are:
1) Using only Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro
2) Using only El Chaparral
3) Using both

If they are only using Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro, you may cross as usual. We recommend crossing in the declaration lane since this allows you to park easily inside the Mexican Customs (Aduana) facility. Then the Immigration office (and banks where you pay for the FMM Tourist Card) is right there near the parking.

If they are only using El Chaparral, the Immigration officer I spoke to said to go ahead and cross, then park in the El Chaparral facility. For those who are new to El Chaparral, it is set up differently from Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro. As soon as you cross into Mexico, the El Chaparral facility has parking spots that you drive past. She told me you may park there and then walk to the Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro border crossing. (Ask around how to walk back there, I'm not clear on how to find it exactly.)

If both are open, for obvious reasons it is best to cross through Puerto Mexico/San Ysidro.

I hope this is helpful! If you have any additional questions, we'll try to find out for you.

Thanks,

Jennifer Hill
VP Agency Development

Baja Bound Insurance Services, Inc.
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

question.gif posted on 10-31-2012 at 06:11 AM

WILL THEY ALLOW MOTOR HOMES TO CROSS THERE ??
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 09:15 AM

We crossed south yesterday and I must say it was quite an impressive experience. As we made the hard left into El Chapparal, I was amazed to see what looked like 20 lanes, each manned by an agent directing people where to go. As we went thru the gate we were directed to secondary, parking spot 4. EVERY VEHICLE WAS GETTING PULLED INTO SECONDARY.

We were greeted by a young Aduana agent and he asked where we were headed and coming from. He had some cool ipad tablet-like computer that he was punching info into. He asked for the vehicle registration, my passport, and my OK to search the vehicle. Another agent stopped by to assist him. They were very professional and polite.

As we sat in the vehicle, looking around this new POE, we noticed a television screen for every secondary inspection parking spot. The screen had a color picture of my vehicle, the license plate number and some other info. They were not messing around. If they do this procedure for every southbound vehicle I'd reckon they'd be collecting a huge amount of data. The days of being anonymous in Mexico are over. It felt like I was crossing into the USA, except the customs agent was respectful, polite, and courteous.

We asked the agent if this was the new procedure for south bound vehicles (doing a thorough inspection) and he said, "yep, forever.......", and jokingly said he'd be doing these long, intense inspections for the rest of his life.

I doubt they can do this thorough of an inspection during peak crossing times, without seriously backing up traffic, although I swear there was at least 150 agents conducting inspections. Jobs, jobs, jobs.....................and all were between the ages of 20-30.

So we pulled out of secondary quite impressed by the new POE. Clean, hi-tech, fast, efficient, and best of all, not a cluster FU%$ like the old POE. If you have something illegal to bring into Mexico, you better hide it well, because they are checking!!!

Oh yeah, I was also coming down to get my tourist card for the Baja 1000 next month. The FMM office is not open yet at El Chapparal, like mentioned in other threads. The agent told us the office at San Ysidro was closed and the closest place to get a card would be Otay. He asked where I'd be going and I told him La Paz. Then came the epic statement of confusion that is the FMM card when he told me I didn't need a tourist card for coming down for the Baja 1000 for a few days. I'm aware of the 72 hour thing....if you're in the "border zone" so I'm guessing he was stating that exemption, although I told him I'd BE ALL THE WAY IN LA PAZ. I said, "what about the inspection booth in Guerrero Negro? Won't they ask for the FMM there?" and he just kind of laughed. How to interpret that? No idea...............maybe he didn't know where La Paz was or never heard of Guerrero Negro, or maybe he was just trying to say, "dude, no one is gonna check so why waste your time?"

Moving past this border................we had an epic day of pottery shopping in Rosarito. Then ate at La Fonda. Got to the border and entered the Ready Lane at San Ysidro. I HATE THE READY LANE AT SY. Took longet than the regular lanes and actually ended up merging WITH THE REGULAR LANES!!! WTF?

The agent was cool but sent our butts to secondary for an x-ray. Some dude waved us into the wrong place, and no one gave us any direction as to where to go once we were in that wrong place. I told an agent they sent us for an x-ray and in a very condescending voice told me I entered the wrong area. I TOLD HIM I WAS FOLLOWING ORDERS and he redirected me to the x-ray machine. It was disgusting how unorganized they were. I was trying to make eye contact to get some direction the whole time, but everyone was heads down, staring at computer screens, while occupants sat in vehicles, waiting to be searched by agents that were in no hurry to do anything.

Welcome home fellow US citizen, may I treat you like crap?

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 08:10 PM

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 05:54 AM

Project Fact Sheet (PDF)

From Wikipedia:

[Edited on 2012-11-5 by bryanmckenzie]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 11:48 AM

I like 1922 better!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 09:01 PM

I just went into the new Port of Entry today. It is huge and very impressive, sort of like a newly built prison in the United States. It is very sterile looking, but clean and modern. I went because my school requires me to keep my VISA to get my official medical license in Mexicali. So I had to stop at Aduanas. After a few minute walk, I was directed to a small office, all white, and a diminuitive Mexican man was there, who started screaming at me, "YOU are in Mexico, not the USA, you UNDERSTAND?" This guy was clearly on a power trip. He directed me to a Bancomer office around the bend in the new complex, I paid my $30 American and headed back to the gentleman, who gave me my tourist visa for 60 days so the school can process my FM3. I don't understand what this big huge complex is all about. It reminds me of the old days when the new Pelican stores opened up and and there were 25 lanes with cashiers waving you to come to their line. There was hardly any traffic but I can't imagine what it is like on a Friday evening. Oh yeah, there was a second story like they have in the prisons and military are on the lookout with their machine guns...that's why it reminded me of a prison.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I just went into the new Port of Entry today. It is huge and very impressive, sort of like a newly built prison in the United States. It is very sterile looking, but clean and modern. I went because my school requires me to keep my VISA to get my official medical license in Mexicali. So I had to stop at Aduanas. After a few minute walk, I was directed to a small office, all white, and a diminuitive Mexican man was there, who started screaming at me, "YOU are in Mexico, not the USA, you UNDERSTAND?" This guy was clearly on a power trip. He directed me to a Bancomer office around the bend in the new complex, I paid my $30 American and headed back to the gentleman, who gave me my tourist visa for 60 days so the school can process my FM3. I don't understand what this big huge complex is all about. It reminds me of the old days when the new Pelican stores opened up and and there were 25 lanes with cashiers waving you to come to their line. There was hardly any traffic but I can't imagine what it is like on a Friday evening. Oh yeah, there was a second story like they have in the prisons and military are on the lookout with their machine guns...that's why it reminded me of a prison.

Thanks for the update. Can you describe where you walked to get to the office? Sounds like you walked across and then over to El Chap? If you were driving across, it would be the buildings on the right correct? Gracias.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:58 AM
The Visa office is on the right of the crossing lanes before you cross over in the new complex

Before you cross the border in San Ysidro, you are directed to the right and there are the lanes to cross into Mexico in that new cement road and complex. El Chaparral, what a name. Is that what the Mexicans call it...they should call it CEMEX Grande: A tribute to Carlos Slim. I asked one of the men where I go to Aduanas. They told me to back up and not cross into Mexico in one of the lanes, unlike the old port of entry where you crossed first and then immediately you pulled over to the right and got your visa. So as you are looking at the lanes to cross, you go around the to your right before reaching the lanes, (if you are looking into Mexico), and its right around the bend. It is a huge building, you enter it and immediately make a left into this tiny room. The building reminds me of a huge mausoleum.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

Thanks for the update. Can you describe where you walked to get to the office? Sounds like you walked across and then over to El Chap? If you were driving across, it would be the buildings on the right correct? Gracias.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 04:55 PM

So, if you don't mind my dumbness... You said they told you to "go back up" what does that mean?

We drive south on I-5 or I-805, they come together and then, right in front of the old entry, is a sharp right bend and then a sharp left bend to the new border entry...

Where do you park for the INM office and where is the office compared to where you park?

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 05:17 PM

In the past, had they been inclined to send someone back for whatever reason, they would simply open a gate and direct the vehicle through to the US side to sit there and wait for a good hearted driver to let him in line.
I wonder how they'll do that today.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:59 PM

I reached the border crossing, and they told me to go back and not cross to Mexico, in other words I had to back up in the lane, turn around, thank God there was not much traffic and then facing towards the US you make a left about after 50 feet and go around a short bend, there is a huge parking lot and the building is right there. It's very close to the crossing you can't miss it and just ask anyone, they will show you, it's very simple.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So, if you don't mind my dumbness... You said they told you to "go back up" what does that mean?

We drive south on I-5 or I-805, they come together and then, right in front of the old entry, is a sharp right bend and then a sharp left bend to the new border entry...

Where do you park for the INM office and where is the office compared to where you park?

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by David K]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 10:23 AM

So you had to re-enter the U.S., or were you always inside of Mexico. Is this a a two-way street or did you go against traffic? Thank you.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.