Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Roseta stone?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I did not really care for Rosetta Stone but found that Learning Spanish Like Crazy level 1-3 was much more effective at getting to conversational Spanish. It is certainly much less expensive than Rosetta Stone but the results of everyone I know who has tried it has been very good.

http://www.learningspanishlikecrazy.com

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by Pescador]

Just looked at the site... only talks about what you get for free... what's the catch? Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just looked at the site... only talks about what you get for free... what's the catch? Thank you!

Click on the BUY NOW link next to the standing lady.
It ain't free.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 02:31 PM

$ 247.00
Hardly free or even cheap.:P:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QUETZALCOATL
Alan-the Michel Thomas-ww2 veteran?
Maybe? I have no idea.

In Memory of E-57
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QUETZALCOATL
You can load Rosetta stone onto more then 2 computers -you just have to call the customer service, I loaded mine onto three-they helped reactivate on the third-no questions asked.

They must have changed their policy. About three years ago I bough RS 1 & 2 loaded it on both my desktop and laptop, then had to reformat my laptop due to problems and had to beg and plead with RS to let me re-load it on the laptop. After much talking and pleading they finally gave me another authorization number, but I got the feeling that they were not happy about it. Glad they changed this policy, I hate restrictive license policies.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 06:47 PM

Okay, David, I went back and checked the site. Sorry about that. There are three levels of conversational Spanish with native speakers. I used the recordings and practiced every morning while walking. I could usually do two lessons and then when I thought I really had the lessons mastered, I moved on to the next one. The levels increased through level three which is pretty advanced. I have had complete novices go through this program and get conversationally fluent in a very short time.

They also developed a program called Verberator which is a download to your computer that allows you to practice conjugating verbs. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen for getting verbs correct.

It took me a couple of years to completely get through all of the levels but I as well as a lot of my Mexican friends consider me to be fluent and I find that most conversations are easy to follow and keep up with the flow of conversation.

After a couple of levels of Rosetta Stone, I had some vocabulary but did not have the conversational edge that was important for me. For exercise purposes I walked around the lake at my house in Colorado and it took me just over an hour to do that and that gave me about two lessons a day. Some of the fishermen used to look at me a little funny as I was having great conversations that had no relationship to fishing or anything going on in their world but I think they figured it out when they saw the headphones.

I still do touchup occasionally now, even though I am immersed in Spanish every day, but it does help to keep the edge.

http://www.learninglikecrazy.com/

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 07:22 PM

Other options include taking a course at your local community college and even hiring a tutor to assist you with pronunciation and conversation. $500 is a very steep price to pay for language acquisition.

plumkell

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 12:43 PM

I am using Rosetta Stone right now and I am amazed at how well it works. I bought mine on eBay, level 1 & 2 for $89. Buying through eBay gives you some protection against fraud like you might experience on Craigslist.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plumkell
I am using Rosetta Stone right now and I am amazed at how well it works. I bought mine on eBay, level 1 & 2 for $89. Buying through eBay gives you some protection against fraud like you might experience on Craigslist.

Did you get the workbook with that? 89 bucks is dirt cheap so I'm wondering if it's a knock-off [not that it matters to me] in which case you may not get the printed material.
plumkell

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 03:01 PM

No workbook but the discs are original. I have seen workbooks on Ebay too.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 03:03 PM

plumkell what is your level of spanish speaking going into this?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
the discs are original.

How do you know that? I'm looking at one right now and I'm pretty sure a label maker could replicate it with ease.

Like I said....I really don't care. I'm just curious.
Bajachillin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 04:46 PM

Check out http://livemocha.com/
Looks to be similar to RS but online and free. Only drawback for some will be that you have to be online.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Is it worth it? Do you get anything out of it?

Thanks.

It is pricey, but, it is designed much like teaching a child. If you are old enough to move and click a mouse, you can learn a new language.

It has many options to use a microphone to pronounce words correctly, however you don't have to use it if you just want to quietly learn your new language.

I recommend it
plumkell

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
plumkell what is your level of spanish speaking going into this?

I am a beginner but already knew a little basic travel Spanish. I could ask for the bathroom and get a beer. :tumble:
plumkell

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
the discs are original.

How do you know that? I'm looking at one right now and I'm pretty sure a label maker could replicate it with ease.

Like I said....I really don't care. I'm just curious.

I wouldn't think you could copy their disc but I don't know for sure. You only get to register it on two computers regardless. I don't worry when buying through eBay because if someone does scam me, they will refund my money.
racingron

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajachillin
Check out http://livemocha.com/
Looks to be similar to RS but online and free. Only drawback for some will be that you have to be online.

Only first two or so lessons are free - then you need to buy "tokens". Still seems like a good value though.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 03:49 PM
spanish lession

Or you hang with the locals in mexico !! your bound to learn !! I try and learn at least 1 (one) word a day !! I get complimented all the time on my spanish and never had any "schooling/course" just the desire to learn and practice !! now I just have to learn to write better in both !!:lol: K&T:cool:

[Edited on 11-8-2012 by captkw]
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 04:09 PM

Odd that this post came up again -I had just posted my RS 1-5 on craigslist for 250$ and came here to see what my compadres on Nomad were up to, not sure if this is cool to post but I will be in Cabo area mid Dec to mid Jan if any1 wants to buy it-heck I'll even set it up on their comp for them. Have a great night.

in otin ihuan in tonalin nican tzonquica-Aztec saying for \"here ends the roads and the days\"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-13-2013 at 04:58 AM

FWIW, i had a copy a few years ago that worked flawlessly. no workbook came with it, just put it in the computer and start speaking spanglish. i'd say it's worth $65.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.