BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do you Panko? Baja Mama's Delicious White Sea Bass
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 10:35 PM
Do you Panko? Baja Mama's Delicious White Sea Bass

Do you Panko? No this is NOT an over 18 question....but I went to dinner at Baja Mama's tonight and had THE most delicious white sea bass coated in Panko...which is Japanese bread crumbs grated coarsely and retains a golden brown crispiness when fried and retained the garlic and butter flavored saute. Absolutely delicious was also the spaghetti and homemade marinara sauce.

Tomorrow night at Mama's there will be Panko style calamari which my dinner partner had this evening and attested to its equal excellence and her famous fried chicken and fish and chips with entertainment starting at 5...yes I will be starting vegan boot camp soon I knew that question was coming!!!....
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 07:49 AM

Used some in the meatball mixture for a spagetti dinner earlier this week.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 08:36 AM

Who's meatball mixture?
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Who's meatball mixture?
Quote:

Mine!

Lean ground beef, minced onions, minced garlic, oregano, egg, panko, salt, pepper, dash of Shirachi. Form into golf ball size and brown all sides in skillet, finish in 350 f. oven for 10 minutes and place in marinara sauce for 15 minutes.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 10:23 AM

Sounds delicious Ken, never heard of Panko before but it's good stuff for a light coating, however, me being half Italian I need to try and see if it might improve my meatball recipe...hard to do I must admit!!!
Nemo55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 06:35 PM

Best MeatBalls always made with Ground Chuck and Ground Pork mixed ,,
I have heard of some people using MooseMeat (which i love) but cant attest to how good it is.

\"The Truth will set you free...But first it will pee you Off\"
henshaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 09:25 AM

By all means, Panko will do a nice job on yout fish, Go for it!!

You can\'t fix stupid
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 09:44 AM

When first they became popular to use in the U.S. I heard that panko are less fattening than bread crumbs. Not sure that is true, but I like to think so. Panko are way better 'n crumbs (although much harder to make from one's own stale bread).

nena

[Edited on 11-10-2012 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 10:25 AM

Don't know about panko but I'll never forget John Benko from 7th grade. At 13 he was as developed as a man of 25. He was hairy from head to feet and had to shave every day. Hungarian descent.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 12:08 PM

EnsenadaDr, Panko? Gonna give it a try. Cornmeal is hard to beat.:biggrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Don't know about panko but I'll never forget John Benko from 7th grade. At 13 he was as developed as a man of 25. He was hairy from head to feet and had to shave every day. Hungarian descent.

Ohhh yeah....ol' John Benko. I heard about him. Did they ever offer an explaination as to why he had a prehensile tail? :lol:
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 02:03 PM

Hola dr.

we saute fish with panko.

we dredge a fillet in flour, then beaten egg, then into panko and then, into a frying pan with melted butter.

delicious and with a crunch !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Who's meatball mixture?
Quote:

Mine!

Lean ground beef, minced onions, minced garlic, oregano, egg, panko, salt, pepper, dash of Shirachi. Form into golf ball size and brown all sides in skillet, finish in 350 f. oven for 10 minutes and place in marinara sauce for 15 minutes.

Ken, I was always a brown-em-and-bake-em-first kinda guy until I tried a recipe where the meatballs went into the marinara raw and then simmered for 2-3 hours. It is incredible how much flavor it imparted into the sauce.

Meatballs stayed whole and firm; very moist, which I like.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 03:09 PM

Funny that you mention that Hook...my mother was not Italian but my father was and so she had to be competent in the kitchen cooking Italian food...and never baked or fried meatballs before putting them into the sauce, and neither do I. Sausage I will boil to get off the fat first. And yes, raw meatballs cooked in the sauce are delish!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Quote:
Who's meatball mixture?
Quote:

Mine!

Ken, I was always a brown-em-and-bake-em-first kinda guy until I tried a recipe where the meatballs went into the marinara raw and then simmered for 2-3 hours. It is incredible how much flavor it imparted into the sauce.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ohhh yeah....ol' John Benko. I heard about him. Did they ever offer an explaination as to why he had a prehensile tail? :lol:

Benko actually did have other physical peculiarities, or so they seemed to me at an impressionable age.

Most men's heads protrude behind their neck, thus forming an arc from shoulder to back of head. Benko's neck formed a straight plane with the back of his head. From the side he looked like one of those jungle pyramids in Tikal. I believe that grizzly bears are built that way. They need those huge neck muscles to support all that weight.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Quote:
Who's meatball mixture?
Quote:

Mine!

I agree very good as well! Pork, veal, italian sausage and lamb all are good in the meat mix too.

Ken

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 04:33 PM
Now come on Guys...

How upset was Dennis when I casually asked"M" how her legal woes were going in the middle of a thread of David K's book, I was asked to remove it and Dennis called it "HIJACK" Why don't you guys start a thread on "Don't you remember the hairy guy with the Big Ears thread"....
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
How upset was Dennis

You've gotta be kidding. Upset over a hijack? Nobody here hijacks as much as I do. It's just an anomaly of communication and it doesn't bother me a bit.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 06:20 PM

Ok, so I thought you were upset...but someone else did email me and ask me to remove my "HIJACK" comment, no it wasn't DENNIS, so I thought I did commit a blooper!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.