Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report 10/15-10/25
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 09:33 AM
Trip Report 10/15-10/25

Hey Gang-

Just wanted to get a trip report in before the details slipped.

We left San Diego on 11/15, Friday afternoon, about 3:30 crossing the border about 4:15 or so. We already had our tourist permits. Our goal for the night was San Quintin.

We arrived in SQ about 8:20 and stopped at El Paraiso Mariscos for ceviche. (I first stopped there in 1997 with my buddy Chuck. We were on a 7 week trip together.) After finishing off a bowl of ceviche, I looked across the room at a picture board. I mentioned to Tracy that one of the pictures looked familiar. We paid the bill and walked to the board. Sure enough, there was a picture of my buddy Chuck that I had taken. He is sitting with two girls in each arm. Graciella, one of the girls in the picture, still works there.

We checked into the Old Mill. The price was $35 and was okay. The beds were old but no complaints for the price. We grabbed a few beers and walked down and enjoyed the bay.

We left early for the long drive to Loreto. We filled up gas in El Rosario and asked in Antonio was around. (We noticed a truckload of new beds being delivered to the Baja Cactus Hotel.) He wasn't. Decided to have breakfast at Mama Espinosa's. (It was her birthday and she was celebrating in Ensenada). I had the best chiliquilis ever. Also, a number of prerunners (for Baja 1000) in the restaurant. In fact, we noticed the team next to us was from Hawaii.

Made the drive to Loreto with no problems. The road down was in good shape with only a few potholes. We arrived in Loreto at 7:30pm. The circus was in town as well as a political rally/concert. I really wanted to check both out but my stomach was crying for food and my eyes for sleep.

We had a wonderful meal at La Palapa. I always get the fresh fish in garlic. Once again, I wobbled away pleased.

We ended up staying at La Pinta. I had many great suggestions on places but decided that we wanted an ocean view. I think we paid about $890 pesos. The room was clean and on the sand. The next morning I went for a long run and then a long swim. Life was good.

We drove to La Paz and stayed at La Perla (cost about 800 pesos). This was our first stay in La Paz and found it very, very enchanting. It was Sunday so many of the shops were closed but everyone was enjoying the day.

As we were eating in the restaurant below La Perla, we saw my parents and friends drive by. (They are travelling Baja for 2 months in their RVs). They joined us. My father recounted a story of when he stayed at La Perla in 1974 and a gas tanker blew up in the harbor blowing all the windows out in the hotel.

The next day we stopped by to say hello to friends in Elias Calles and make final preparations for our wedding at Cocina Pacifica. We then continued on to Cabo and checked into Mar de Cortez ($56/night). After having our bloodwork done at Weddings in Paradise, we lounged by the pool and waited for friends to arrive.

On Tuesday, about 6 of us took a water taxi (100 pesos each with a 40 minute tour) out to Lover's Beach. We swam along the rocks and enjoyed the schools of fish swimming along wondering what might be chasing them. After a couple of hours the taxi came back to pick us up.

Later that day, we had our civil ceremony. We met our coordinator at her office next to Panchos Restaurant and then took a taxi to the Judge's office. The ceremony was very intimate with about 10 family members joining us. After siging 7 pages each, we walked away officially married.

The next day, a few of us met Jim Smith, owner of Cocina Pacifica, down at the dock to go fishing. Bisbees was starting the same day so the adrenaline was incredible He took us out for three days of awesome fishing. Within five minutes of putting lures in the water, we had a marlin. Dorado are everwhere right now.

After our first day of fishing, we packed up and left for Cocina Pacifica Bed and Breakfast which is about 30 miles north of Cabo. I can't stress enough how wonderful this place is. Jim and Susan Smith are incredible people and now wonderful friends.

Our fiesta ceremony was on Friday. That morning, the skys filled with clouds and we knew it was going to rain. Sure enough, the drops began to fall. The locals were in amazement as the rain continued. They said it never rains in October. We didn't really care and actually enjoyed the warm rain.

The wedding went off wonderfully. Jim was the officient and Susan was the photograper. We had some locals roast a pig for us, the cakes came from Todos Santos Cafe, and many of our family and friends stayed at nearby houses. For those staying in Cabo, we hired a van to transport them. In all, everything was perfect...rain and all.

We left that area on Sunday and decided to take the East Cape route. The rain was really dumping on Sunday. We stayed at La Perla again on Sunday. We found a small restaurant just up the street where I feasted on shrimp and abalone soup.

The next day our goal was to make Catavina. We rolled into La Pinta and asked for a room. They wanted 952 pesos and there was no heat. We bailed and continued on to El Rosario. Baja Cactus looked full so we stayed at the hotel next door. We paid $35 dollars.

We woke up early the next day and made San Diego in about 5 hours. The border crossing took about 20 minutes. Tracy is a teacher and immediately rushed off to her school's open house. I washed clothes and unpacked.

In all, a great trip. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. I know this post has gotten lengthy.

Saludos!

Zac

[Edited on 10-29-2004 by Bajaboy]

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 12:45 PM

Fun in the sun!!

Sorry we missed it! :no:

Maybe next time? :biggrin: ;D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce::spingrin::tumble:

Mateo y Barbara
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 12:49 PM
CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

sory I mised it

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 02:19 PM

What a romantic trip report, and how amazing that everything seems to have gone according to plan. Must be an omen indicating a long and happy marriage--congratulations to you both!

bajalera
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 09:39 AM
Saludos!

Best wishes Zac and Tracy!

Paulina
<*)))><

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.