BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: IMPORTANCE of COLD BEER: Dometic Portable Propane Refrigerator?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 09:59 AM
IMPORTANCE of COLD BEER: Dometic Portable Propane Refrigerator?

There is one thing that is real important to me in the Baja and that is real cold beer after a hike or a long hot day. I probably went thru 3 tons of ice on my last trip down to the Baja and probably could have paid for a portable propane refrigerator. I was searching for such a handy unit today, and found a few models.

Does anyone know anything about portable Propane refrigerators, and does anyone know anything about the Dometic portable propane refrigerator?

This is the promo material from a web site that sells portable and stand up full unti propane refrigerators. I wonder why they are selling so much below the manufacturer's suggested retail price of $950. I found prices of $384 and $435 USD for this unit. Is it because they don't work that great, or what reason for the low price?

PORTABLE RC3000 REFRIGERATOR
by Dometic

The ideal companion for people on the go! Rugged, compact and lightweight, the RC3000 portable refrigerator from Dometic is perfect for college dorms, campsites, boating, or tailgate parties. The RC3000 can utilize three charging sources, LP gas, 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC.

The general usage is:? put your power on 120 volts when loading, 12 volts when motoring, and on propane for camping or exploring.? On 12V it plugs into your cigarette lighter.?? It comes with a safety thermocouple and push-button ignitor.? It will run all weekend on a small propane (LP) cartridge.

Available in turquoise blue, this versatile portable refrigerator offers these features:

>Snap-on wheels for easy maneuverability; built-in handles
>35 liter capacity
>Easily fastened pulling handle
>Push button piezo ignitor
>Light emitting diode (LED) for AC operation
>Hermetically sealed lid
>Durable plastic molded casing
>Turquoise color
>Fully enclosed cooling unit
>No moving parts - maintenance free
>Propane line for small cartridge included (runs approximately 2 days on a small propane cartridge, depending on usage and ambient temps)
>Silent, and uses no CFCs or HCFCs, so it's environmentally friendly

Exterior dimensions: 18" in height without wheels, 21" with wheels, 23 5/8" wide, 16 1/4" deep; weighs 35 lbs.

Interior dimensions: 13 1/8"H x 19 1/8"W x 8 3/4"D.

If you'd like to plumb this unit to a tank of liquid propane, an adapter is needed ($15).

Power consumption: at 120VAC, 80W; at 12V, 80W; gas maximum usage 252 grams in 24 hours; minimum 187 grams in 24 hours (28 grams = 1 ounce).

Ships via UPS; cannot be shipped by Parcel Post or FedEx. Cost of the RC3000 is $435 plus shipping; call for your freight on these quality portable refrigerators

[Edited on 10-29-2004 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 10:09 AM
Found these protable units. Any comparable in the USA or Canada?

3 Way Gas & Electric Camping Fridge & Freezers from the United Kingdom.

3 way gas & electric camping fridges, freezers or fridge freezers from Mobile Coolbox are the ideal solution when you need portable deep freezing and powerful cooling in your tent, caravan or boat. We have a full range of 3 way gas camping fridge & freezer units including the Waeco Combicool & Electrolux RC units.

http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbox/gasfridgefreezeruni...

Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 10:17 AM
Maybe I should just camp by the local Tecate Store...

The more I think of it, the more I feel I am trying to bring every comfort with me on my trip to the Baja.

Perhaps I should just stick with buying ICE and get a better ice cooler, so it lasts longer?

RandyMac

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 10:28 AM
Yanking a Propane fridge from older Camper

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

I had a suspicion that the cheap price was as a result of poor sales or disatisfied customers.

The idea to buy a cheap camper and yank the propane fridge unit is an alternative. There must be used propane fridges out there somewhere.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
I think someone posted a while back about that very unit above, and said they sucked in the heat of the Cortez side.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3672
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3756

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 04:47 PM

Randy, check out the first link posted by Doug (just before this post)... That was a big thread and I would listed to 4baja's posts and Desert Bull's suggestion (if money is no object, Bull buy's the best stuff).

I was impressed with 4baja's unit... tough as nails, and runs of the cig. lighter when you are mobile and a propane bottle when in camp (1 bottle last days and days). Also I think it operates at 110v at home to pre-cool the unit before you leave.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TS

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 06:48 PM

I've got the Dometic RC3000 and it works ok.... if you drink a lot of beer quickly the cubic area isn't very big. It works much better when covered with a layer of silverfoil bubblepack insulation to keep the sun's heat off. Also orientate the cooler so the wind doesn't blow out the pilot light ...... I always check the pilot especially concidering that I set up camp on the windy Baja South Cape beaches windsurfing ..... much better than than a slimy wet ice chest for food....but then I try not to stray too far from a Beer outlet.:coolup:
TS

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 06:52 PM

Forgot to mention that a 5 gallon tank of propane lasts over 6 weeks.:coolup:
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 07:09 PM
Beer Professional from Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by TS
I've got the Dometic RC3000 and it works ok.... if you drink a lot of beer quickly the cubic area isn't very big. ....................

I like ice cold beer and I don't like to run out, so I think the best route is to conserve the cash and avoid buying a Dometic propane cooler and stick with two ice coolers. I can rig up one of those pizza insulators for my beer cooler and make sure that I put cold beer in with a block of ice.

Good point about not being to far from the Beer outlet.

Which brings up the point. Why do they not allow vendors to sell cold beer? It would be so nice to buy cold beer from a vendor that makes the rounds.

Appreciate all the help. I read the previous discussion on the subject and it helped alot to see people's different perspectives on such an important subject.

Man cannot live in the Baja without cold beer. Especially if your a Crazy Canadian that loves cold beer.

RandyMac
:lol::lol::lol:

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 07:15 PM

i have used the dometic one for years but for beer use it is not worth it if you think it will get it cold fast. freese it first and then with the portable unit cold put it in and it will stay frozen for weeks if not a month. i love mine and have no problems with it but next time i will go with a fridge freeze. way more money but it is a freezer slash fridge and works awsome.:coolup:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-30-2004 at 10:45 AM

I'm saving up for one of these too. You can run it off a car battery for days. Recharge the battery with a small solar panel and you are in business.
http://www.fridgefreeze.com/

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 07:26 PM
used propane fridges & repairs?

In case anyone needs to know, I'm told (haven't been there) that there is a guy at the top of the hill in El Sauzal, just North of Ensenada, who repairs and sells used propane refridgerators.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 12:38 AM
Some brief Battery info...

1. most car batteries only have up to about 75 AmpHrs max. These batt's are designed to start the vehicle with a quick burst of energy - cranking amps. They have many, thin plates with separators that allow for that quick 'burst', with the alternator then 'topping' off the batt's charge for it's next starting use. This type of internal construction is not designed for continued 'deep' discharge and recharge - about a dozen 'cycles' and it will most likely fail.

2. 'Deep cycle' batteries are the only type that will stand up to the use called upon by a 12 VDC frig...Deep Cycle batt's have much thicker plates with denser separators that helps hold the plates together during the expansion/contraction encountered during the discharge/recharge activity of running a 12 VDC frig - or other load.

3. Popular 12 V Deep Cycle batt's are:
a. Gp-24 (10 inch long) about 90 AmpHrs
b. Gp-27 (12 inch long) about 105 AHs
c. Gp-31 (13 inch long) about 130 Ahs

d. Golf Car Batt's - 6 Volts - about 225 AHs, used in pairs, in series gives you 12 volts @ 225 Amp Hrs - great for running a frig. You can add add'l pairs to increase running time...however, what goes 'out' has to be put back 'in' the batteries before use again, and this can take lots of time on the generator/alternator.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.