Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Termites!
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:33 AM
Termites!

Can anyone recommend a good and trusted pest control company in the Mulege, Sta. Rosalia or Loreto area? Seems with all the rain in the Chivato area in the last few months, the termites have gone wild and we need to look at some serious treatment for subterranean and possibly drywood varieties. We are not presently at the house, so we are still trying to assess the situation from afar and may need to explore tented fumigation to knock down the current infestation in addition to longer term treatment, so it would be good to know of anyone offering those services as well.

Thanks!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:52 AM

The only way to get rid of termites once they are in wood is to put a tent over the structure and gas it, any other treatment will only slow them down temporarily. To my knowledge no one in Baja offers this treatment, the only alternative is to replace the affected wood and treat the ground to deter future infestations. Also consider using a more termite resistant wood when you replace the infested timber, pino and alder are very prone to infestation, a better choice is parota, caoba, or cedro macho.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 09:01 AM

That's good info to have, Monoclo. I have to replace some doors, posts perhaps in the future. We are using a reputable (expensive) fumigator from La PAz for over 3 years now and still problems show up in new areas.
this morning I noticed even termite tracks far out in the backyard on 2 rocks. Didn't know they would go after those as well. Could show you a picture if it was not so damn difficult to get one posted.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 09:20 AM

For palapa posts, it's better to use local wood like palo zorillo or ocote, which are very resistant to termites, than pine. Also attach the posts to concrete piers with steel brackets instead of burying the ends in the ground.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 09:47 AM

Talk to Harry. He had a whole house (inside) done a few years ago. Never heard of tents down here but they would be popular. I use a 1 gallon sprayer and try to spray every 6 months but still find there sign too often. Good luck!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 09:53 AM

Subterranean Termites

this is what we have here in the desert ( Yuma)
we had an infestion several years ago, and the only way to treat them was drilling holes around and into the foundation and injecting insecticide. since this I have keep a 5 gallon can of insecticide here at the house and when I see there little trails I treat that spot.
when we lived in San Deigo the termites was a differnt type, a flying insect
and the only way to treat it was with a tent over the structure
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 10:00 AM

only termidor works for subterranean types.
my next house will be block and no wood. it is bad in the desert.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies thus far.

Monoloco and Russ - please check your U2U.

I've done a lot of research on treatments and am aware of what can be done with Termidor (and others), Boracare, baits/traps, foams, sprays and fumigation. What I really need is someone qualified to do the treatments for me and avoid a trip down to do the work myself. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated (feel free to U2U if you prefer).

The good news is is none of the wood is structural. Bad news is we really love our cabinets and kitchen counters and hope they aren't so damaged that they will require outright replacement.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 10:33 AM

In my experience it is impossible to get rid of them once they are in the wood, I have even tried drilling small holes and directly injecting pentachloraphenol directly into the interior of the wood. The best thing to do if they are in your cabinets is to try and replace the affected parts before they spread. The most problematic area in houses here seem to be door frames, especially when the bottom of the frame is below the finished floor level. When building a home, make sure that the door frames are installed after the tile, not before, and treat the bottoms of the frame with penta before installation. The important thing is to address the problem early because they will spread. It's a lot cheaper to replace a door frame than a whole door.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 03:38 PM

There is a company in Ensenada that tent's they did my next door neiehbors house and it's a big house.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 04:18 PM

All you have to do is kill 'em.;D And keep on killing 'em. Lizards find 'em very good to eat!!!:yes:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 05:11 PM

I read somewhere that termites do not eat through paint. Why not just put paint all over the wood structure during construction?

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I read somewhere that termites do not eat through paint. Why not just put paint all over the wood structure during construction?
Not even close to true. I've seen wood that about the only thing left was the paint.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 05:48 PM

Quote:

Paint really...:no::no::no:
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

Paint really...:no::no::no:

I watched a Guy on this board build a house over the past years and he Painted every stick of wood that he put in the house before he used the wood.:yes::yes::yes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Not even close to true. I've seen wood that about the only thing left was the paint.

To me that is evidence that "termites don't eat thru paint". :light:

:lol:

Pesky little wigglers, ain't they.

Barry
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 06:47 AM

We have used Termidor to get rid of termite attacks, works very well for both types. The beetles that like to infest palm wood eats Termidor for dessert, we tried for it for a long time. Borate is the only solution for these tiny critters. I had one 4x4 post full of termites, sprayed Termidor all over it, bored some holes and used a squirt bottle to inject, its been termite free for a couple of years, stuff works. Best to get a professional in to see what is eating your wood.
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 07:02 AM

A neighbor had termites get into his oak cabinets, they were the subterranean type with the tiny mud trail from the concrete. He was able to stop them by spot treatment with Termidor, it seems to be carried by them back into the nest and kills the whole group. To try to replace the face frames would have been a huge job, he found them early before they had totally destroyed the oak. We used chlordane powder under ours before install, I think this banned chemical lasts for ever.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 08:01 AM

I treat areas where I see the little mud tubes starting with Spectracide termite and carpenter ant insecticide that I get in a gallon from Home Depot. Pretty mild smell, so not bad to use under cabinets in kitchen etc. I do it about every four months and it seems to keep the little buggers at bay. Especially important to treat before the hot season.

Now, if you already have damage to your cabinets, open up the area that has been eaten out with a screwdriver or other blade, vacuum out the residue (termite poop), and use car Bondo to fill the holes. Pack it in there with a putty knife, sand it smooth and re-paint. Our alder cabinets are stained, so Paula used her acrillic art paint to approximate the finish over the bondo area. You wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to you. So far the termites have not acquired a taste for Bondo.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 09:13 AM

termidor has a dry powder injection tool for direct input to visible trails in cabinets, works well. i use a licensed applicator as part of my annual warranty i pay for. they take it back to the nest and it kills all.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.