BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What To Do If Your Loved One Dies in Mexico?
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:42 AM

".........I'm telling Val about your twisted plans" :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
Depends on how close to the border you are. Put them in the seat and drive to border, when sent to secondary you are in the US

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 10:02 AM

Because I investigte life insurance claims all over the world and most of these are Americans who are on vacation or have moved to that country there are documents that are needed for you to present to the insurance company in order to satisfy the claim. As said, go to the nearest American Embassy or consulate and bring the certified death certificate with you so they can process a "Death of an American Citizen Abroad" document which is issued by the state department. It takes a few weeks to process and you will receive 10 of these certified documents in the mail. If cremation is done get a a copy of the State of Baja California permission for cremation document. If death occurs in Mexico there will be an initial death certificate issued by the Secretaria de Salud with the certifying doctors signature on this document. Get a copy of this which is usually handwritten. This document is sent to the civil registry so the death can be registered. You DO NOT have to take this to the civil registry. It's automatic.

Also mentioned above, do not move the body..... You can call the local police and they will in turn call the ministerio publico so that they can do their investigation and check for cause of death and determine if an investigation is necessary.

If the death is of natural causes there still may be an autopsy. On many occasions with the deaths I have worked on no autopsy's were completed but it's up to the ministerio or the doctor. If it is a murder there will be an autopsy and the body will not be released to the family until the ministerio determines that it's no longer needed.

Get copies of all of these documents and try and get originals to keep for your records. If you do have a life policy include all of these as well as the original death certificate with your claim. If the death was a murder or accident get the investigation report from the ministerio and include these documents as well. You will NOT have to pay the ministerio for any of these reports. The only document you will have to pay for is the death certificate so I suggest get several. You may need them later.

Here in Ensenada Funeraria Moreno have a great program where if a death occurs and you bought a "plan" everything is taken care of in advance. I am sure if a loved one dies you will not want to be shopping.....

Don't be surprised if the insurance company decides to do their own investigation. Because the death was in a foreign country and the amount of the policy is very high I may come knocking on your door so make sure you get all of the papers I mentioned.
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
this is a very good question. A very good friend of ours died here a month ago and we were responsible for figuring out what to do. He died in the ambulance so in his case, or if you pass away outside of a hospital, the coroner signs the death certificate...he is a doctor anyway.

The first thing to do was to call the ministerio publico, or the state police to notify them of a death...then call the funeral home to transport the body to the morgue of your choice. If you are in a village, this may take several hours for them to arrive so plan for that.

NEVER MOVE THE BODY FROM WHERE THE PERSON DIED OR THERE WILL BE LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THE POLICE.

There is alot of red tape to transport the body stateside and you have to get permits from a few government agencies which takes time, so you have to get the body "preared" anyway whether they get transported or buried in mexico. I believe there is only a crematorium in La Paz??

Make sure you have all your paperwork, birth certificate and passport handy and make lots of copies. It helps if this is in an easily found place in case a spouse isnt onsite. The police did a report,

We and the family chose to have Stan buried in the local pantheon. The church helped out with candles and a service and we had a traditional overnight vigil and burial. The mayor gave the OK to the burial here.

It was a beautiful funeral and Stan has been laid to rest overlooking the sea in a place he loved and was loved.

This! Shari ran this so smoothly it went without a hitch.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:43 PM
An idea takes root

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
Make sure you have a doctor that will sign your death certificate so you can be shipped to the US or cremated or buried in Mexico as expeditiously as possible.

Sound advice. :light::light:

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:06 AM

Mr. Dimmick has a solution

The American retirement communities in Baja fairly burst with dingbats who march to different drummers.

Mr. Dimmick is one. He's a guy who always seems to be in some kind of difficulty.

Dimmick -- "The first name's Theophilus, but (self-conscious chuckle) you can call me Ted" -- is a tall, skinny, disaster-prone nebbish who always has a story about his latest Baja "troubles," usually told in a monotone with sad resigned eyes and along reflective pauses. He has taken to plastering his sparse strands of dyed-black hair down on his dome with some kind of goo, though I remember his when his follicles were more bountiful. This, combines with his excessive Adam's apple, his paucity of flesh and a certain rolling gait, gives him the appearance of a semi-bald Ichabod Crane.

The way Dimmick explained one of his mishaps to me was this: His wife had invited her mother, a lady of some 80 summers, to visit the Dimmicks' Baja home for a week. After a rough trip down from Los Angeles, the old woman was feeling puny for the first few days, and even worse after that.

In fact, she had a massive heart attack and died...

-Fred Hoctor

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 07:03 AM

I know someone that rolled his Dad in a carpet and headed to the border--didn't make it:?: You on here Bill:biggrin:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Most important is the immediate call to the US Consulate. They will handle a lot of the paperwork and will also coordinate with Social Security, the VA and Mexican authorities. they will also obtain death certificates for you

Agreed.

I've been told that to collect on any US financial account for which you are the beneficiary you will need a US death certificate which a US Consulate can issue given a Mexican death certificate.

Informative thread folks, thanks for reviving it.

[Edited on 7-28-2017 by SFandH]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:20 AM

Found this a few years back.. Seems to cover most of the bases..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrbuvtfiu42711a/DEATHINBAJA%20fina...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 11:40 AM

That is not true. The only place I had to deal with that did not take the Mexican certificate (in Spanish) was to change the title on our house.

I've been told that to collect on any US financial account for which you are the beneficiary you will need a US death certificate which a US Consulate can issue given a Mexican death certificate.

Informative thread folks, thanks for reviving it.

[Edited on 7-28-2017 by SFandH][/rquote]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.