Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato shore caught Halibut
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 07:27 AM
Punta Chivato shore caught Halibut

My friend Dave has been throwing lures almost every morning for a few weeks now and has been getting a few small corvina and a few small halibut. This morning he goes out a half hour earlier than normal, first light and gets pounded. He shows up while I'm on my first cup of coffee and I see a halibut tail sticking out of the 5 gallon bucket in his quad. 30" of fine eating!

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 12-3-2012 at 07:42 AM

That is a fine shore caught Butt, this is the time of year to get those guys especially north of you.

First light the witching hour,first out last back,always best!!
Rob

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 07:48 AM

must be the shorts!:o

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 07:54 AM

Remember this is a SOC halibut and I don't see many. This is the largest I've seen.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 07:59 AM

they're out there! prolly a bunch since they aren't targeted much. saw a 20#er in BoLA caught in 60 feet.

baitcast
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 12-3-2012 at 08:03 AM

Agree that size are few and Far between in the SOC but can be caught north of you,BOLA and Gonzaga.

Woody just can,t help himself,neither can I:lol:

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 08:09 AM

love your pics Rob! hope all is well.

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 08:28 AM

THX Woody........so so moved into town,MaMa is still working so its good for her and I,m closer to the hospital,save a ton on gas,haven,t had neighbors in over 20 years:o so have to work on that:lol:........Hope all is well with you!
Rob

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 08:31 AM

Shrimper & net Pangas keep our stocks down But there are more small halibut being caught than I can remember. Also fewer net boats at the moment.

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 08:44 AM

Nice fish. Russ, you need to start casting and clicking at the same time. You could get those same great sunrise shots standing on the beach with a line out as you could on your porch.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:12 AM

Nice fish!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:54 AM

Thanks -- nice to see folk's "wetting" a line :):)

Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 08:36 AM

They are definitely out there in the SOC. I was in LA Bay over Thanksgiving week and caught several chucking lures from the beach including my monster which was taken on Thanksgiving morning right near shore in about 2 feet of water and easily went over 20lbs. It was as big as my 4 yr old son! If I could figure out how to easily post pics on here I would put one up as proof. The tacos from that thing were awesome. :coolup:
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 08:53 AM

Never got a 20# at BOLA but always got a few right off La Gringa in shallow water in the boat and from the beach over the sandy flats late in the year,also in the south end of the bay around the estro,they will move in late in the day with a high tide also.
Rob

Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 09:01 PM

1st attempt at photos of my big halibut from LABay.......

http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/ChrisConlan/?actio...
http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/ChrisConlan/?actio...
Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 09:06 PM

OK, lets try this one more time.

I put my kids in the one pic to give it some scale.
:cool:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 09:52 PM

Bugman,

That is one slob fish! My son and I used to join the local crowd at the Villa Vita ramp and catch them for dinner, but that was years ago and I never saw one that big.

This was his first flattie. He was even more excited about shining his flash light through the fish after I filleted it.

Were you north of town?

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 7-12-2012 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 08:47 AM

:o That is one fine barn door!! late in the year,that must be the right ticket,not enough people work the beach in BOLA.
Rob
Eat your heart out Woody:lol:

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by baitcast]

Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 11:26 AM

I was staying at Larry and Raquels so I just walked up the beach toward the lighthouse and hooked this guy a little more than half way there after the shoreline got a bit more sandy. The hard part was dragging the darn thing all the way back! I ended up putting him on the stringer and then dragging him through the water all the way back to the hotel. Great morning of fishing for me and the kids.
Cochi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 08:55 AM

Thanks Russ for posting my catch. I was beyond excited, and as long as that feeling thrives I will fling my line into the beautiful Punta Chivato sunrises. To see the sunrise is one thing, but to fish at the same time is tops. Oh yes, my shorts are loud, but what about that tacky Republican sweatshirt. If I would have known I was going to get graded on my dresssing, I would have ran to the casita and got my Oregon Duck or San Fran Giants gear on:light:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.