Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Version No Roming ?
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 08:56 AM
Version No Roming ?

I am putting together a San Felipe trip Christmas ?New Years 2004.
M/C & camping some at Pete?s and some at Campo Nuevo Mazatlan
I called Version to ask about the rules and coverage this year.
They told me on? North Americas Choice Plan? $ 59.95 per month (400min.)
There are no roaming or other charges for phone use in US, Mexico or Canada.
I have had erratic service in Baja with Version ?But it has worked?with Mexican Roaming Charges.
Now no Extra charges??
Has anyone tried this??
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 09:01 AM

I think they changed thier program to 'no charges' because that's what you usually have, no charges, no service=no charges. I have not been happy with Verizon 'service' in my travels in Baja.
:fire:
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 09:11 AM

My friends just turned their verizon phone in and got cingular. They couln't even get a signal in bajamar. They hated the service. k:no:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 09:19 AM
Telcel

has a deal. I think it's called the Amigo plan. For about $100.00 you get a phone and $30.00 dollars worth of credit.
You then buy pre paid cards almost anywhere, and quite often they have 2 for 1 sales on the minutes.
I have used mine from almost everywhere in the mountains down south as long as I am not blocked by mountain walls.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 09:46 AM

JR's correct. We use Telcel from Mexicali south to Punta Bufeo (service is irregular at PB owing to the distance). You might see Hector Gonzalez in San Felipe or e-mail him hectorglez@hotmail.com. Tell him "Telcel Punta Bufeo" told you. :biggrin:

PS: I receive no commissions. :(

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 12:14 PM

My Verizon has worked fine in El Rosario and Puerto Santo Tomas.

Union thug.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 09:05 AM

Tel Cel in San Felipe, Mexicali, & TJ areas has gone to GSM 1900 technology last early spring. This is why many Verizon phones dual band that worked (could pick up analog) suddenly stopped working - mine included.

Verizon will tell you everything (tri-mode phones, North America plan, etc.etc.) to get you not to cancel their service. I've tried them all!!

If you go to TelCel's web site http://www.telcel.com/ you will see the only approved roaming partners are ATT&T, Cingular, & one other, not Verizon!

I canned Verizon and hooked up with ATT&T (now Cingular) and got a tri-band phone rated for GSM 850/1800/1900 service.

Again, be aware of what Verizon indicates as they (reps) are NOT informed. They only have one GSM rated phone called a World Phone that costs $375 with another two years. I told them to take a hike! This after I bought a tri-band phone (won't work) and had to extend my service agreement 2 years. So I was stuck with a new phone I couldn't use & a service extention.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:28 PM

viabaja

Thanks for the info. I had sucessfully used my Verizon phone in years past to call the office , but have not been able to connect of late. Today we were sitting by the side of the road near Primo Tapia enjoying some tacos de pesacado y camaron and my father used his older Verizon phone to call home, he got thur. I immediately dialed my office on my much newer Verizon phone and no go. :fire:

I have been considering Nextel because you can direct connect in Baja Norte but I think I will take JR's advice about the Telcel amigo plan and just get a phone that will keep me in touch with clients and employees. There is nothing better then taking a purchase order from a customer while sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean while enjoying a cold adult beverage after a nice surf session and having to say "Oh that noise sounds like surf breaking? No,I just have the window down in my truck!

:saint:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:57 PM
Sounds like you are

doing business out of Anamar Gato. Busted!!!:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.