BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Best for comfort in Baja Hiking Boots?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 11:46 AM
Best for comfort in Baja Hiking Boots?

I am doing some research on hiking boots for the Baja and would appreciate any feedback.

Criteria:

1. Designed for hiking in warm climates, with all weather comfort for cool days and nights in Sierras. The hiking boots that I see in stores up here are designed for Canada's colder weather conditions and would be too hot and sweaty for Baja. I already have 3 pair that just don't cut it in the Baja climate conditions.

2. Lower cut just above the ankles.

3. Light weight. Good for walking long distances.

4. Durable for Baja terran, hiking in the Sierras.

5. Under $100.

Any suggestions appreciated.

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 12:36 PM
Randy, the majority of mountain folks

down here use "cowboy boots". Reason being they are cowboys, but also because there are snakes. And ones that bite.
I have spent much time hiking down here in sandals, tennis shoes and hiking boots and seen quite a few snakes but have thus far been lucky.
If I were to want to change, I would get something with protection up above the ankles.
Just something to think about.:light:
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 05:19 PM

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 05:21 PM

check out Vasque hiking boots(and trail shoes)excellent comfort, support and in your price range.Also montrail boots.:bounce:
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 05:42 PM
Going with the Vasque.

Thanx JR for the suggestion. I have cowboy boots but they are not built for hiking. Snakes? You mean I coulda got bit by snakes while hiking last year? Oh boy. I like smoked snake meat. I always carry a walking stick with me, but higher boots are a good thing for those nasty bites. There are rattlers close to where I live, but have never been lunged at by any. Maybe the ones in Baja like nipping at Canadians.

Pappy. Thanx for the suggestion. I was reading some reviews today on various sites and the Vasqu was highly rated and was one of my top picks. I can pick up a pair here in Canada well under the $100 CDN SMRP so I'm buying a pair tomorrow.

Going with the Vasqu Ranger II GTX?

Info from web site: A redesigned, more durable bottom package. Updated styling and high cushion EVA midsole make this classic boot one of the best values in the Vasque day hiking line.
GORE-TEX? Technology provides a breathable, waterproof and comfortable wear. 2.0mm Waterproof split leather and nylon fabric for outstanding comfort and durability..
EVA midsole.
Vasque Scout outsole.
Nylon lining plus padded collar for addition comfort and support.
Contoured EVA footbed.
Shoe weighs 2 lbs 12 oz.

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 06:00 PM

Those look nice! Pappy, are they available through retail outlets, like Boot World (down here)? How about a link?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 11:12 PM
Random thoughts on hiking boots...

1. Light is good, lighter is better.
my experience with Vasque is that they are a bit heavy.
I bought a pair of Rockports years ago, super light weight, went through the original soles and the retreads before I finally tossed them in the "work pile"
Cost over $150, well worth it.

2. Cheap is cheap.
Under $100.... good luck, you get what you pay for.

3. Break 'em in real well before you venture out on an extended hike. Like wear them for every day for a week, or for a mile or two at a time.
Blisters come on real quickly and are most unwelcome at the outer limits of your hike.

4. Never buy them by catalog. Boots must be tried on, in person.

(and always carry a nice piece of Dr. Scholls Moleskin, or something similar, to make foot repairs.)

Good hiking!!!

Baja Arriba!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 09:17 AM

FIT is the most important thing. Go to an outdoor gear retailer that has a good boot fitter and find out the boot that fits you well, then try to find it in a catalogue or online. sierratradingpost.com has a lot of good boots, and campmor.com has a pretty good selection as well. Both sites have good sales. Need ankle support and at least mid-duty backpacking traction soles for rocks in Baja. I agree - Montrail makes good boots.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 09:39 AM
Montrail boots

Bought a really great pair, broke them in around home, half the sole peeled off at the summit of Mt. Whitney four years ago.
Sort of 'flapped' my way back down the slope.
The sporting goods store (best one in our area) said they had never seen that happen before...
And the replacements are four years and going strong, twice up Half Dome and once up White Mountain.

Baja Arriba!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 09:49 AM
You made a good choice

Vasques are comfortable and durable.

There is a corollary between weight and durability. Go too lite (like the Hi-Tecs, Yukons, etc.) and you sacrifice durability.

These are a good compromise.

BTW, I disagree with the guy who say's paying around 100.oo Canadian is going cheap.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 10:22 AM

Another source - you can buy brand new boots on eBay - plenty under $100.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 10:28 AM

Light weight with GORE-TEX?.

GORE-TEX? is vary important here it lets them breathe.

Bruce

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 10:30 AM

I gotta say I've had really good luck with a pair of Nike hiking boots. I've had them for 10 years and they've made it across four continents. They're not too hot, and with thick socks, can be worn during winter in Chicago. They still look great and have good traction. I'm guessing I paid about $40 for them. My only warning would be that they fit more like a tennis shoe which is great for comfort, but if you have problems with your ankles, they don't offer much support.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 01:35 PM

DK--I got my Vasques at Adventure 16 in Costa Mesa(2937 Bristol St 714-427-0410). The guy who helped me REALLY knew what he was doing and took a half an hour with me to get the right fit. You'll pay a little more there but its worth it. Never bought boots at REI but they might be a second choice.

Those are the boots(GTX Zephyr) I wore on the mission trip--after walking thru 5 miles of streambed they never leaked a drop, are lightweight, and are strong in the ankle support department.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 01:37 PM
Those Nike's of yours.....

....sound like either Nike Approachs or Nike Lava Domes. I still have a pair of Approachs and they are great light hikers. But I wouldn't want them in snow or a heavy downpour.

Mine are about 15 years old.
BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 02:47 PM
Nike Boots

I agree, they're not good in the rain or snow, which is why I'm thinking they'd be a decent boot for hiking in Baja. I wore them on a trek across Australia and they held up really well.

I don't remember what kind they are, but I've more than gotten my moneys worth. My Nike flip flops on the other hand lasted about 2 weeks and that was at the pool. I guess it's a chance you take.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 06:28 PM

got my vasques at REI-they gal that helped me knew her sh-t!they are the same ones mexitron posted about.love 'em!i am confident you will enjoy your vasque boots-yee-haww!:biggrin:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:11 PM

It sounds like you've made your choice...

but I'll throw my limited two cents worth of experience into the ring.

The growling gabacho had been putting the miles on a pair of North Face hiking boots for many years. Finally, he decided that they needed replacement (still wears them for light duty).

We ended up at a terrific outdoor equippers store in San Diego, out in Mission Valley about two minutes east of the 805 freeway junction.

This is a place that is serious about mountain climbing and hiking, it looks like you could walk out of there ready to climb Everest.

The salesman took the GG in hand, brought out the requested North Face models, made conversation and then talked about how when you are looking for shoes for any serious athletic purpose, you are better off looking into a company that is focused on the feet, and not taking your chances with a clothing/etc. outdoor company that just happens to have a shoe line, because the quality will vary as they make style adjustments for vagaries of fashion.

He was a cool, seriously knowledgeable and fit young guy talking noncondescendingly to two middleaged :O people for whom the phrase "extreme sports" is now defined by hiking very slowly up any kind of mountain grade (AKA "going off concrete").

He had the GG trying on $150-200+ shoes, any of which he could have persuaded him to buy, when he frowned, looked at the size on the box, and said, "Wait a minute."

He came back with a box from a line that was being discontinued by the store, because it wasn't selling well. Evidently, these shoes are made in Europe, in a small factory that is the whole town.

Americans don't know the name, so they don't know the quality, so they don't know, don't buy.

The shoes fit (they were considerably lighter than his previous favorite), we bought and left the store approximately $50 lighter.

One year later, after almost daily use, the GG says these are the best hiking shoes he has ever owned.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:54 PM
Not that it applies

to the posters on this thread but, "image" as in name brands, is everything to those that can't spell.:lol:
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 08:15 PM
Not for the faint hearted. Seriously

We were doing research on boots here at work and this guy's page popped up. Seems like he knows a bit too much about boots! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
http://home.pacbell.net/ericbear/pics.html

Union thug.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.