Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pull Pal vs. Danforth
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 12:37 PM
Pull Pal vs. Danforth

Has anyone ever used a standard Danforth anchor with a winch? The Pull Pal looks to work in a similar fashion but the difference in price is ridiculous.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:39 AM

the danforth is desighn to be used with chain and in certain ciscumstances it will just pull out. i have the pull pAL and it will dig to china if it has to. picture this, your on a remote beach in baja and stuck with nobody around and the tide and surf comeing up fast. now that pull paL seems cheap in price doesnt it. 300 dollars compared to loosing 20 grand seems cheap to me.:coolup::
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 08:42 AM
4Baja

Have you actually tried a Danforth and seen it pull out?
This is a serious question, not a "dig". My brother and I have been having this conversation for years but still haven't made the test. He swears they will work, but he's a boat guy.

[Edited on 11/1/2004 by jrbaja]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 11:04 AM

I have,if I it would could only have one on board be a Bruce it is better in moor types of bottoms than any other and it wont pull out and reset when the tide or wind changes it just screws in further. also gives you a better Chance in coral or rock.

Bruce R Leech

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 11:18 AM
I mean on land

as a winch anchor. Seems like it would work but interested in talking to someone cheap like me who has tried it.:light:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 12:06 PM

oh sorry

Bruce

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 12:25 PM
No worries Mate

but, if you still have the Danforth and a winch on a truck, I'd really like to know:light:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 04:42 PM

I've used a danforth with a comealong to move a heavy piece of concrete. Worked perfect but I was a bit nervous about it. As I see it there are two potential problems:

The flukes rotate and you dont have the advantage of wet sand/mud as you would when anchoring.

I guess you could modify a danforth or Bruce with a little welding. Sure would be a lot cheaper. In any case, I wouldn't think of moving a vehicle with a wussy 8 pounder. The bigger the better.

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 04:54 PM

JR

I carry a small (30lb?) Danforth in my tool box. I've successfully used it with a "come-along" on several occasions when a belay was needed while traveling on bad roads.

I've also had experience using it with a Hickey Sidewinder (wish I still had that winch) and a Warn 9000. Although none of the "stucks" were major ones, the anchor worked well.

Dave's caviat is valid, but each time I've used the anchor I've taken care to bury it. I used it once in the mountains of N New Mex to pull our horse trailer (sans chevaux) back onto the road after sliding off in the snow.

This particular anchor was an extra one we had on our 44' trawler, so I have faith in it. I believe it's rated for a 1-ton load, so I'm careful not to make angel-hair pasta out of the cable or tow-strap.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 05:03 PM

Great comments, keep 'em coming.

Bruce? What does my wife's hairdresser have to do with this? (just kidding, I looked it up. They look heavy and the big ones cost like the Pull Pal)

"Loosing" (sic) $20,000???? Ah, you yuppies and your flashy rigs.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
They look heavy and the big ones cost like the Pull Pal)

Nah, you can buy a copy or used one cheap. Just make sure it don't say Made in China.:biggrin: (don't buy Danforth knock offs, they ain't for s**t.)

There's a used marine equipment place in Costa Mesa that has good deals. They're on the internet. I can't remember the name but any sailor on this board or on BNet who lives in the area could tell you.

Come to think of it, I may have an extra. I'll check and see how big. You could pick it up when you drop off the tequila.:lol:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2004 at 07:01 PM

A ver si como roncas duermes, buey.:P
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 12:36 AM

Spencer Murray, a boat and Baja 4x4 guy/author, tried out a Danforth 20 years ago, published the results in a 4wd magazine, and it worked. He only tried it a couple of times as far as I know.

Nothing new under the sun. :lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 08:03 AM
Danforths

Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa. They have a website. Fascinating store.:yes:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 08:08 AM
Selkie

Do they still have my Titanic blueprint hanging up in there?
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 08:19 AM

Quote:

Spencer Murray, a boat and Baja 4x4 guy/author, tried out a Danforth 20 years ago, published the results in a 4wd magazine, and it worked. He only tried it a couple of times as far as I know.

Absolutely correct, Neal. Off-Roaders' Handbook Murray authored with James T. Crow (1986); my copy is getting pretty beaten up, but that's where I got the idea of carrying an anchor with me.

Here's their analysis of the test with a "marine-quality Danforth".

"At first, winch reeled anchor toward truck. But as anchor flukes got a good bite, Danforth buried itself out of sight. When it stopped moving, winch pulled truck up to it. Danforth anchor weighs only 12 lb, but can withstand a pull of 6000 lb."

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
A ver si como roncas duermes, buey.:P

Me la vas a pelar cabron.:biggrin:

frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 03:04 PM
How much tow line

aproximately, would I need from the end of the come along to the anchor? I would be pulling out a Dodge Ram Van Conversion.
It must be like anchoring a boat, the more line you have out the better the anchor digs in? Right? And I thought I would need at least a 30lb Danforth?? No??
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 09:22 PM

If your in sand use your spair as a dead man just dig a hole and bury it. Works great! Unless the tides coming in to fast !!
Then ya just slap your self on the forehead and call your self stupid !!
PS dont forget to tie a rope to your spair duh:yes:

All that wonder are not lost
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 10:35 PM

Bufeo, if you look in your old beat up book by Spencer, you will find a picture of my first Baja rig, a Toyota FJ-40.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.