4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup crema or sour cream
1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
Fried tortilla strips, to garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat broiler to high heat. Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet, and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 20 minutes; transfer to a bowl and let cool. Peel and discard skins, stems, and seeds; roughly chop, and set aside.

2. Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chopped poblanos, spinach, and parsley, and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add stock and milk, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream, and season with salt and pepper; puree in a blender until smooth, at least 1 minute.

3. To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and then dollop with about 1 tbsp. crema in the center of each; garnish with some of the serrano chiles and tortilla strips.

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by Lindalou]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 05:01 PM
WARNING

Wear gloves when you are peeling and de-seeding the chiles!!!

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:52 PM
Roasting

Got one of these this summer. Check it out...

pueblochiliroasters.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 06:26 AM

You must REALLY love roasted chilis for that price.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindalou
Had some of this at a dinner last night, best soup I have ever eaten.SERVES 6–8

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. poblano chiles
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
1 rib celery, roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
4 oz. spinach, roughly chopped
⅓ cup minced parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat broiler to high heat. Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet, and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 20 minutes; transfer to a bowl and let cool. Peel and discard skins, stems, and seeds; roughly chop, and set aside.

2. Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chopped poblanos, spinach, and parsley, and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add stock and milk, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream, and season with salt and pepper; puree in a blender until smooth, at least 1 minute.

3. To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and then dollop with about 1 tbsp. crema in the center of each; garnish with some of the serrano chiles and tortilla strips.

⅓ cup minced parsley:?::?::?:

Bob Durrell
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. poblano chiles
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
⅓ cup minced parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

Don't know Bob copied and pasted it from the recipe posted on the Punta Banda BB
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
Got one of these this summer. Check it out...

pueblochiliroasters.com
Holy chit, $350. :fire:
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. poblano chiles
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
⅓ cup minced parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

Don't know Bob copied and pasted it from the recipe posted on the Punta Banda BB
Went back and looked it up. 1/3 cup minced parsley. Don't know why it copied that way.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindalou...
INGREDIENTS...⅓ cup minced parsley...

During the "Cut & Paste" the Unicode Character 'Vulgar Fraction One Third" (which is "&#8531" just didn't transpose properly. That's easy to do sometimes owing to the fact that most folks are using the C&P in their word-processing and may not have Unicode capability.

In any case, looks like a good soup. I've copied (using Unicode :) ) the recipe to file.

Allen R

P.S. I should have also added that if your cutting/pasting into your word processing ( I use MS Word.) you can use the dropdown "Insert" and the fraction ⅓ is there and you can again do the C & P.

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by bufeo]
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 09:11 PM

I can not wait to make this.... Yum..... Next weekend, New Years
bigmike
Nomad

Mood: Loving Life

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 07:00 AM

The chef for this dish added small bay shrimp to the dish and said if she was serving at home she would have added a large shrimp to sit on top of the soup.
It was a wonderful soup.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
The chef for this dish added small bay shrimp to the dish and said if she was serving at home she would have added a large shrimp to sit on top of the soup.
It was a wonderful soup.
Thanks Mike, don't know why I forgot about the shrimp. When I make it I will also add some larger ones to hang around the sides
sheafey

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There was a chef at the dinner and he made a suggestion that sounded really good and that was to put Pepitas as a topping instead of the tortillas. Of course, he made mention of the fact that the tortillas were a little soggy, but we couldn't think of another way to get the soup served fast without making up the little cups in advance. Maybe serve a bowl of strips on the table? We also added the shrimp because we thought it would be nice, but if I were having a dinner party I would use one medium-large shrimp right on the top instead of several smaller ones.

I am so glad you enjoyed it!!!

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. poblano chiles
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
⅓ cup minced parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 03:36 PM

My tortillas were not soggy and I don't think I would change a thing. Maybe a big shrimp. If its not broke, don't fix it :D
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 05:51 AM

Made this last night for dinner with Tortilla Strips and Shrimp on the side and it was wonderful.

Thanks for the recipe!
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. poblano chiles
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
⅓ cup minced parsley
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

Maybe it was chopped minced parsley?
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Made this last night for dinner with Tortilla Strips and Shrimp on the side and it was wonderful.

Thanks for the recipe!
Glad you liked this, I have so much food in my house right now (family coming) That I will make this at a later date.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 01:44 PM

the really sad part is, I have no idea what the heck a poblano is, but I got a can of it!:o

Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
the really sad part is, I have no idea what the heck a poblano is, but I got a can of it!:o

It's a chili pepper. I have seen those cans of poblano soup in the store. When you try it, let us know how it was.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 03:30 PM

Pepper pictures etc:

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/peppers/peppersdict.html
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.