Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: First Time Baja Fail.
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 10:37 AM

Glad you folks are OK. Not a great way to start your Baja experience, but you learned a lesson, and managed to walk away.

LESSON: If it feels like you are going too fast - you are.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 06:59 PM

I get the goose bumps seeng this and imagining myself driving along those CPs in Baja.

Lesson: before letting an underage driver (under 25) take the wheel, let them see actual accident photos and read the accident threads along Baja highways, along with pointing out the actual pieces of evidence scattered along the highway shoulders.

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by edm1]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 07:50 PM

i'd rather drive no matter what! my wife always offers but has ZERO Baja driving time. If we gonna die on the road it will be because i screwed up or wasn't able to correct in time.

i ain't gonna die due to my driver being green....

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'd rather drive no matter what! my wife always offers but has ZERO Baja driving time. If we gonna die on the road it will be because i screwed up or wasn't able to correct in time.

Woody, think about letting her drive some --- first in the areas where the road has been widened and there are those WONDERFUL shoulders and maybe then in the other areas. IMHO, it is important because what if something happens where she HAS to drive. Do you want that to be her first time when there might be other stress involved?

I just think it is important. We have seen too many women stranded because something happens and either they can't drive the road, or they are driving a large vehicle like a motorhome that the woman has never driven.

Would I rather let John do all the driving in Baja? YES, but I don't do it. Do I like driving in the narrow real scary parts? NO, but I do it ---- even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Just some thoughts.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Woody, think about letting her drive some --- first in the areas where the road has been widened and there are those WONDERFUL shoulders and maybe then in the other areas. IMHO, it is important because what if something happens where she HAS to drive. Do you want that to be her first time when there might be other stress involved?

I just think it is important. We have seen too many women stranded because something happens and either they can't drive the road, or they are driving a large vehicle like a motorhome that the woman has never driven.

Would I rather let John do all the driving in Baja? YES, but I don't do it. Do I like driving in the narrow real scary parts? NO, but I do it ---- even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Just some thoughts.

Very good advice, some that I should follow. Maybe next trip.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Quote:

Just some thoughts.

Very good advice, some that I should follow. Maybe next trip.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Just some thoughts.

Woody, my wife has been driving a bit more in Baja. Going north from San Quintin is a good start...especially after a big meal. I get a bit of shut eye and she gets used to Baja traffic. With experience comes confidence...and a few more naps for me.:biggrin:

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 10:25 PM
women drivers !!

OK,I wont touch that one,,but DianaT has a Good point !! quix story..my grand pa started to lose his eyesite about 6 months after they had bought the biggest 5th wheel I'd ever seen with 3 slid outs and with the front part rising up,, way up high with 2008 ford 350 superduty king cab/longbed.. and they had gotten the rv weekend trip bug to be with thier friends at the many rv parks in north ca. got be grand pa could not drive..so grandma at a frail 95lbs and barely 5' ended up driving that huge rig all over ca.. she said anytime she climbed out of the cab..folks would look ,stare,,laugh,shaking their head in disbelive..she did it......RIP MELVA

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by captkw]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 10:48 PM

On our first date (to Baja) I let/ asked Elizabeth to drive and it was in the hills between Ensenada and Colonet... at night! It was good training and got me relaxed with her behind the wheel. She is an excellent driver, and while I do most of the driving in Baja (because I like it), any time I need a break, she is willing to take over... Viva Baja Angel!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
OK,I wont touch that one,,but DianaT has a Good point !! quix story..my grand pa started to lose his eyesite about 6 months after they had bought the biggest 5th wheel I'd ever seen with 3 slid outs and with the front part rising up,, way up high with 2008 ford 350 superduty king cab/longbed.. and they had gotten the rv weekend trip bug to be with thier friends at the many rv parks in north ca. got be grand pa could not drive..so grandma at a frail 95lbs and barely 5' ended up driving that huge rig all over ca.. she said anytime she climbed out of the cab..folks would look ,stare,,laugh,shaking their head in disbelive..she did it......RIP MELVA

OK, and we won't touch that man vs woman driver thing. :lol:

The story you tell is exactly the kind of thing to which I was referring. When we had our small trailer, we met a woman from California who was "stuck" in Vermont. Her husband had become ill and she would not drive the motorhome. Not a good thing. Good for your granny-- no reason she couldn't drive it as well as grandpa. Driving is not by definition a "man" thing.

Besides, many of you guys are missing lots of beautiful things to see in Baja because in so many areas, if you are driving, the only thing you really see is the road, at least that is what I see when I am driving in some areas; big truck coming on sharp curve, narrow road, no shoulder and a major drop-off does not give one time to admire the surroundings, except the occasional glance at a decorated cross.

It is a safety issue first and foremost. There are many women who travel alone or do all the driving in Baja --- it is just more dangerous if the first time is under duress.

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by DianaT]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 10:53 AM

I took my wife driving in Baja for the first time, and she hasn't since. I plan on enrolling her in a professional driving school, and introduce her to driving in Baja over the next several years.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 11:42 AM

Gee Ken, then she will want her own Jeep!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:10 PM

Welcome to Nomadland Kevin. So glad you are all survivors of this event.

And, remember, there is nothing wrong with being a backseat driver. There are so many times my wife has saved us from an accident by yelling something at me while I'm driving.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

And, remember, there is nothing wrong with being a backseat driver. There are so many times my wife has saved us from an accident by yelling something at me while I'm driving.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe Audrey and Elizabeth could start a club!?:lol:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

She already does. With all of the women she sees driving Jeeps, she has brought this up many times.

redink

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 06:03 PM

We just crossed back into CA today and crossed and drove the same day as you, the 13th. Our goal was to make it to El Rosario. We made it but had to stop a couple times as visibilty was down to about 10' at most. That was a hell of a drive. You are all very lucky.

As an amatuer road racer, anytime anyone can take a driving school on a closed course it's worth every penny. Most local road race tracks offer these types of classes and are very reasonable for a day. Thunderhill in CA offers a teen car control clinic a couple times a year that is either free or very inexpensive.

J and A
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

She already does. With all of the women she sees driving Jeeps, she has brought this up many times.

i've always had a "thing" for a chick in a Jeep!:light::lol:

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The good news: there will be 93 Forerunner parts available in Punta Prieta now.
fed yards wont sell parts. tried many times to buy volkswagen parts but it was allways NO.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Exactly my point. We'll see this week!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe Audrey and Elizabeth could start a club!?:lol:

You can add Barbara. :biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.