BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Surf fishing, low tide, high tide, slack tide?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 01:33 PM

incoming tide. we use sand crabs or cut pismo clam.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 10:12 AM

If you boys have to use bait check with the Whistler on what he uses for these guys and it ain,t sand crabs:lol:

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
If you boys have to use bait check with the Whistler on what he uses for these guys and it ain,t sand crabs:lol:

He just whistled, and they came.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 04:56 PM

Surf fishing is great! My parents and I fished 'Variety Beach' in the early 1980's
and I took my future father-in-law there in '84... Perhaps the best surf fishing anywhere. We just called it the beach north of ****, and after I met Whistler, was told the name was Variety. First came to the area with a Tom Miller (Mexico West) group.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:03 PM

Nice pictures Glenn. Brings back a lot of memories of when I would camp there with my folks. In fact my fathers last trip to Baja involved 2 weeks in that area fishing and camping.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:19 PM

My dad and I about ready to leave Variety Beach, having been well worn-out from all the fishing and fish cleaning... Calico Bass off the rocks and croaker, corbina, and halibut on the sand beach. 1982, I think...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:20 PM

Wow, great shore shots! Thanks for the pics.

Iflyfishwithacoldkeepingmeindoorsdamn
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler

Guys would complain that Nick would cook and eat a lot of the bait.Calimari.

:lol::lol:

That's not surprising. The Italian-Americans knew more about good seafood than the rest of us in those days. Calamari was never sold in restaurants until the 70's here. I remember a guy in grad school that had a grant from DFG to study the marketability of squid as food in this state - 1975.

Incidentally, I don't think the WSB fishing is as good in that area as it was. There is great corbina fishing still there for miles and miles. The netters don't get in there very much.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Joe Goelz and Ron Rock were the first one to fish "Variety" beach in the group.Years way before I ever did.Sorry to say both are no longer with us.Ron died on his way to fish this very spot.

I didn't know that. The news said he crashed his vehicle on that downgrade leading into El Rosario. I looked it over and could see how easily that could happen, at night especially.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

Guys would complain that Nick would cook and eat a lot of the bait.Calimari.

:lol::lol:

That's not surprising. The Italian-Americans knew more about good seafood than the rest of us in those days. Calamari was never sold in restaurants until the 70's here. I remember a guy in grad school that had a grant from DFG to study the marketability of squid as food in this state - 1975.

Incidentally, I don't think the WSB fishing is as good in that area as it was. There is great corbina fishing still there for miles and miles. The netters don't get in there very much.

I recall when the rocks on California beaches were covered with mussels and I would watch the Italians picking them like grapes. No one else would eat them. In Santa Clara, California our yard was full of snails, yup, escargot snails, the Italians imported them. We were surrounded by orchards owned by Italians and those guys sure knew how to eat!

Keep your tip up amigos! Great stories and pics.

Iflyfishwithacold
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 10:52 AM

Most who fish the cold side never see these guys because of the bait they are using,sand crabs and the like will not get you one.

I fished two areas where you can catch WSB from the beach and they are much closer also good size Butts,wish I known about Variety beach back then,anuway back to two good spots for WSB and Halibut'

Punta San Quintin and Punta San Carlos,San Quintin needs a rig that can handle sand other wise forget it,fish the outside use squid for the bass but beware there are some monster Bat Rays that will empty a large coffee grinder in a hurry:lol:

San Carlos has to be the halibut capital of the world,at times the bottom has to be covered with them, the wsb can be good size we got some real nice fish,will bet they are to be had still,would love to found out.

Would also loved to have known the Whistler back then.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 02:24 PM

Is Norm's Landing still around. My high school pal worked as a deckhand for them. I was so jealous.

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 12:35 PM

Love the old long rods also and after looking closely I think I see a old black 4/0 on the big rod maybe a 6/0,we used both when distance was not needed as much,our favorite reel for shark and ray fishing from the beach were Long Bch 68,s with a power handle,most people used them on rock cod.

68,s were wide light weight spools which made for better distance,high capacity,poor drags,after a few Mud Marlins the drags had to be changed otherwise pretty good and cheap!

Your rods were better quality,we used Calcutta cane 10' to 12',I put together a few for my friends just for fun,ya they would take a set but all you had to do was lay it on the ground and bend it the other way:lol: and you were on your way!
Rob

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:17 PM

I am loving reading and rereading this thread about shore fishing.

I did most of my own shore fishing from rivers & streams in my youth, but western ND did not have much in the way of surf fishing...and I don't believe eastern Dakota had any either...unless you count the muddy Red River overflowing during spring melts. Baja Sur provided my initiation into this fabulous sport and I'm sorry to say I didn't do nearly enough back in the day.

But Hey, we did catch a few Dog Snapper back then:

I was then and am now concerned mostly with fishing from boats, but now have a sudden desire to return to the surf...and I have a few questions for you experienced guys and gals.

First, I know better than to bring just any tackle with me to the surf.

So...I'm eager to learn different tackle and new tricks. I'd like to know just what compromises a complete set of surf fishing gear? I have a plan for an upcoming trip. Doc says no bouncing around in a boat for a while....so....Any suggestions for a surf fishing expedition in Baja?

Rods? Reels? Lines? Weights? Lures? Baits? (already learned a lot here about which baits) Hooks? Other needed equipment?

I would hate to find out I needed those pyramid sinkers or spider weights..AFTER it was too late!! Sand spikes, too?

Please help me make my list.

My List:
- 2 and 3oz pyramid weights more
- 2/0 circle hooks
- frozen squid
- xrap magnums (blue?)
- 25# mono
- carolina rig
- weedless swimbaits
- long and shorter rods (also salmon rig?)
- reels
- chair/stool
- large rolling cooler
- plastics - Gulp worm baits (camo)
- bait trap/rake
-
-

I'm thinking a trip to San Diego's Squidco and Fisherman's Landing is in order. Finest way to spend a day.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:22 PM

i'm going to Squidco in the morning. need some pyramid weights in 2 and 3oz, more 2/0 circle hooks, some frozen squid and some xrap magnums for the YT. from the beach/rocks i use 25# mono so when it hangs up it will break. not many fish in the surf will break 25#. use fresh pismo clams in a carolina rig or put the weight on the bottom. weedless swimbaits for the calico close to the boiler rocks.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:37 PM

Thanks Woody,

I'm adding/editing my tackle list above with your input now. Can't wait to wade in warmer water than the Oregon Coast.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm going to Squidco in the morning. need some pyramid weights in 2 and 3oz, more 2/0 circle hooks, some frozen squid and some xrap magnums for the YT. from the beach/rocks i use 25# mono so when it hangs up it will break. not many fish in the surf will break 25#. use fresh pismo clams in a carolina rig or put the weight on the bottom. weedless swimbaits for the calico close to the boiler rocks.

Blue XRAP 30 hot now in Asuncion for large YT.

http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaFishingReport_Wade_010813.aspx

Iflyfishwithmyfiveminutesoffame
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Now surf fishing in a boat. That's different.:biggrin::biggrin:

Yup.. different. Not for the faint of heart.

probably practicing for their jobs as commercial fishermen.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

WOW that YouTube video is something
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Blue XRAP 30 hot now in Asuncion for large YT.

http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaFishingReport_Wade_010813.aspx

Iflyfishwithmyfiveminutesoffame

Rick, you are talking 'shore fishing', right? Although I most likely will tow a boat. Wouldn't be the same without one back there...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 03:18 PM

Whistler, I intend to visit as many places as I can stuck getting into...mostly Baja Sur, if all goes according to Hoyle. I'm in need of some SUN and warm sand.

Thanks to your posts and tips, my gear bag just go bigger. All that you advised I will talk over with my buddies in the tackle shops. Muchas gracias, amigo.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.