BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Surf fishing, low tide, high tide, slack tide?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 07:55 PM

Get a bag of GULP pileworms. Scented, they work as well as live bait and much better than grubs. I use the 'Camo' color because it looks more natural than "Natural".

BTW, I feel that fishing from shore is more physically demanding than from a boat. So I'm not sure if this is a good solution. I suppose you can heave it out there and put the rod in a spike but that doesn't work as well. I did, however, meet an old timer at Variety Beach that did just that and did real well. He'd been coming there for 17 years they said. He used mussels. Gobs of mussels.

pileworm.jpg - 41kB

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 07:38 AM

Couple of tips,when using squid,fish prefer fresh over fresh frozen 2 to 1 if you can buy it down there just ice it down and it will last two three days.

Grunion runs never ever miss one of those,learned that one many years ago grunion are a big magnet your very large chum line,day time runs in the Cortez nite time on Calif beachs,all kinds of critters will show up for those parties,you see one grab your rod,pin one on,no sinker ,don,t worry about distance they will be close,the pic was taken a few miles south of San Felipe.

When distance was not a issure we used truline jig sticks they were a favorite back then I had two a D8 and a JC,they worked best on the jetties.

When fishing the big stuff we never sat on our ass sand spike the big rods and work the light rods on the move but within running distance:lol:

Got this guy from the the Seal Bch jetty,won a shark and Ray derby with him

Use squid only on the east side or the triggers will drive you mad!!

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm going to Squidco in the morning. need some pyramid weights in 2 and 3oz, more 2/0 circle hooks, some frozen squid and some xrap magnums for the YT. from the beach/rocks i use 25# mono so when it hangs up it will break. not many fish in the surf will break 25#. use fresh pismo clams in a carolina rig or put the weight on the bottom. weedless swimbaits for the calico close to the boiler rocks.

Blue XRAP 30 hot now in Asuncion for large YT.

http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaFishingReport_Wade_010813.aspx

Iflyfishwithmyfiveminutesoffame

Rick, you are talking 'shore fishing', right? Although I most likely will tow a boat. Wouldn't be the same without one back there...

I'm in Asuncion and the blue XRAP 30 is the hot item for trolling. I mentioned that because Woody included the XRAP in his list. It is the one that landed all the Yellowtail in this pic.
http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaFishingReport_Wade_010813.aspx

Iflyfishwhentotrollingxrap30bluemackeral
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 08:17 AM

i know it's fishing, but i REALLY hope they hang around for 4-6 more days.....

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 02:05 PM

I rerigged my D8 with roller guides traded for a old black 6/0 Penn,took it with me on its first outing to the Lupe and later when I was able to afford a boat,hooked some monsters with it,those were some great years!!!!!!

Still to this day have that JC which I won in a Mud Marlin derby,it was a good jig stick many YT,s and Albies bit the dust because of it and a 500 with 40:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 02:35 PM

My first boat was a 16' Ryan when I lived in Long Bch and was in it that we started shark fishing,one thing lead to another and I started making my own chum buckets,they would be full of squid,macks and bonito what ever we could find ended in it,wouldn,t you it one day I forgot to take it out of the trunk of my car,thiscan just happened to have a good seal on it so I didn,t smell it until it was to late.

It had to be some of the hottest days of the year:lol: there was this explosion we even heard it in the house I go out and open up the trunk and there was the bucket broke open and the stinking goo everywhere,the smell was about to much
after I did the best I could we had it steamcleaned,it still smelled for days:lol: My wife nearly left me!
Rob

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 08:22 AM

What can be done from the beach by fellow Nomads.

[Edited on 1-24-2013 by baitcast]

[Edited on 1-24-2013 by baitcast]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 01:37 PM

:cool:

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 12:06 PM

All about beach fishin…...bump!
Rob

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:17 PM

to catch sand crabs, i just use a short handled fine mesh fishing net (like 1/4 inch mesh). I walk out about 10 feet past the upper wave limit, when the wave peters out and starts back, i just drop the net in the water, try and bury it maybe 1/2 inch in the sand (for the bottom of the net) and as the water retreats and leaves me standing in the sand - there typically is 10 - 20 sand crabs in the net - easy peasy -

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by caj13]

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by caj13]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:20 PM

Nice

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  

All about beach fishin…...bump!
Rob

Toss those Krocs!

Making America Great Again
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 02:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
to catch sand crabs, i just use a short handled fine mesh fishing net (like 1/4 inch mesh). I walk out about 10 feet past the upper wave limit, when the wave peters out and starts back, i just drop the net in the water, try and bury it maybe 1/2 inch in the sand (for the bottom of the net) and as the water retreats and leaves me standing in the sand - there typically is 10 - 20 sand crabs in the net - easy peasy -

There are so many sand crabs here at Asuncion that they get caught in my sandals when the waves recede. How's that for collecting sand crabs. I hate sticking my hook through them, though. They kinda just squirm in your fingers.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.