BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:44 PM
National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Presenting...

Hey all,

Bryan from Whatiswest checking in to BajaNomads. I've been watching from afar and was putting off posting about our project until I saw a recent thread about our project.

Just to set the record clear, Justin and I are Graham followers, and we have met with him, conservationists, enthusiasts etc. already to discuss logistics; so were pretty dang sure we'll be fine(in response to lasurfer).

You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! With just a few weeks left we are busy solidifying plans and making final contact. We will be posting regularly here to ask for advice, so we appreciate your help in advance.

Bryan and Justin

whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:47 PM

JOIN!
www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST
www.instagram.com/WHATISWEST
www.twitter.com/WHATISWEST
www.WHATISWEST.tumblr.com

DONATE!
www.paypal.com via WHATISWEST@gmail.com
or
724 Strand St. Santa Monica, CA 90405

CONTACT!
WHATISEST@gmail.com
or
morales@dudesonmedia.com
justin@dudesonmedia.com

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:07 PM

Thanks for posting ! Very very VERY cool what you are doing.

I'd like to say "Be sure to paddle to Asuncion, La Bocana and Punta Abreojos ! but, I am not sure if we are any good for paddling ):

La Bocana has a narrow entrance (la bocana means "the mouth")

and Abreojos has waves(good for surfing). I can't remember if Asuncion has an easy entrance or not.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

JOIN!
www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST
www.instagram.com/WHATISWEST
www.twitter.com/WHATISWEST
www.WHATISWEST.tumblr.com

DONATE!
www.paypal.com via WHATISWEST@gmail.com
or
724 Strand St. Santa Monica, CA 90405

CONTACT!
WHATISEST@gmail.com
or
morales@dudesonmedia.com
justin@dudesonmedia.com

you ask for donation without presenting a budget. what is your budget for trip? how much you got now and how much you asking for? you asking for donation for the trip or for the video production?

btw, seems like a great trip - good luck!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:53 PM

Is there a reason for this adventure.....other than adventure, that is?
Or is it Nat Geo wanting to produce a movie/special, and if so, why didn't they pony up enough money to fund the venture since the finished product is sure to have their name all over it?

I'm just curious......thasall.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

i suspect reason is to just go for a walk in the outdoors, smoke some dope, drink some beer, look for some chicks, avoid work for a few months! what more reason do you need? maybe some singing and dancing?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i suspect reason is to just go for a walk in the outdoors, smoke some dope, drink some beer, look for some chicks, avoid work for a few months! what more reason do you need? maybe some singing and dancing?

And is there anything wrong with any of that?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

Well....I don't think so, but I hope it's all in the movie. I mean...smoking dope while standing on a paddleboard? This I gotta see . :lol:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Or is it Nat Geo wanting to produce a movie/special, and if so, why didn't they pony up enough money to fund the venture since the finished product is sure to have their name all over it?

I'm just curious......thasall.

very good question,, I was thinking the same thing, as you all know we have had several people here in the past that was looking for sponsors that had no affiliation with any body, just looking for a hand out,, so pony up guys are you
being sponsored by National Geographic or are you just wishing that you adventures will be bought by them?
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:55 PM

Hey Nomads -

Baja Nomad advice and support (aid, enthusiasm, criticism) throughout this project is as important, if not more important, than any monetary support. In the coming weeks we hope to show everyone our route and logistical plan for executing the journey and hope that fellow Nomads can weigh in.

In the event that you would like to donate to our project, feel free to call us or email separately and we will gladly discuss a detailed breakdown of our budget.

We've raised 1/4 of our funds through a National Geographic Young Explorers Grant and another 1/4 through Shady Acres Entertainment. Where we have enough to make the trip "bare-bones", we would like to raise as much funds as we can from outside sponsorship. These are upfront costs for camera and survival gear but do not cover the editorial portion of our project. We are still in discussion with Nat Geo over our final deliverables (much will depend on the story we come back with) but they have initially agreed to a 5-part web series.

I could write hundreds of pages on the ins and outs of this project. For the moment - FORGET THE MONEY! We just want your support!

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/grants-programs/...

Correction on the email address for WHAT IS WEST:
WHATISWEST@gmail.com

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:57 PM

Dennis, that part has already been done...trust me...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

no, nothing wrong with any of that. i encourage all of that! :bounce::bounce:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well....I don't think so, but I hope it's all in the movie. I mean...smoking dope while standing on a paddleboard? This I gotta see . :lol:

Paddleboards: What they did with thousands of left-over windsurfers (one designs) :biggrin:

Now, when we used to sail those things, some folks would spark up "before" the waterstarts....but some creative souls would pull out their ziplocks once out there for a communal break....when there is a will....there is a way :light:

Who do I apply to for Nat Geo to subsidize my next Baja ride? Not an over-done Rip to the Tip type of ride, but maybe another exploration with DT ...and maybe a few other Nomads who know the place....

Just sayin....

Don't believe everything you think....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Dennis, that part has already been done...trust me...

:lol::lol::lol:

whatiswest --- looking forward to seeing your proposed path and agenda! :yes::yes:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
so pony up guys are you
being sponsored by National Geographic or are you just wishing that you adventures will be bought by them?

This, from one of their above posts, says they were awarded a grant:

whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:22 PM

Nice photos motoged. I use to own a KLR 650 back in college. Loved it.

Unfortunately the NG grant is for anyone 18-26 and they generally don't support vehicle-expeditions. But there are plenty of grants out there if you poke around a bit. Most require media deliverables and it helps to a nice catalogue of photos they can go from.

This is a feisty bunch! Justin is an ex-staff member for National Geographic Television who left to pursue this grant and his love for Baja. I've attached a photo of the grant agreement for anyone else that is questioning the legitimacy of this project :)

Thanks for your continual support DianaT! Your advice has helped. We'll definitely stay in contact!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest .......

Unfortunately the NG grant is for anyone 18-26 .......

Are you saying that motoged and DT look older than 26? :lol::lol::lol:

OK, I apologize motoged, but I think you look about 25 ---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
This is a feisty bunch!

We're just bored after the holidays.
Anyway...if we don't ask questions, someone else will. :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:30 PM

Best of luck and you have any support that I can provide (logistics, mapping, route, promotion, chase truck?)... Graham can vouch for my Baja passion/ assistance ability.

PS Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure.. for every 'nanny goat' there are a thousand well wishers and supporters of promoting the wonders of Baja for the benefit of everyone.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Did you ever get those Carbon 14 results back yet, Diane? Maybe you'r gonna be the next Nat Geo pheenom. :lol:
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.