BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jan 11, 2015 Campo de Cahuenga. PHOTOS OF THE HISTORIC EVENT, SUNDAY in L.A.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 1-9-2013 at 12:17 AM
Jan 11, 2015 Campo de Cahuenga. PHOTOS OF THE HISTORIC EVENT, SUNDAY in L.A.

++++ 2015 Note: Event will be this Sunday, Jan. 11 at 12:30 pm

Any Nomads in the L.A. area who are not going to Tijuana for Ferna's event, please drop in and enjoy this event, complete with cannon fire! Max and I will have a table set up selling books and El Camino Real bells. The Campo de Cahuanga is just off the 101, and across from Universal Studios.

Full Website: http://www.campodecahuenga.com/

The Campo is a place of celebrations. Each January, for more than half a century the events of 1847 are celebrated anew. In a reenactment of the signing of a document by representatives of Mexico and the United States that became known as the Treaty of Cahuenga, signatures of General Andres Pico and Lt. Col. John C. Fremont ended hostilities in the state, creating Peace with Honor. In two years, without first becoming a U.S. territory, California was fast-tracked into the Union. Manifest Destiny was realized. We were one nation from sea to shining sea. All Californians became one people-Americans. To this day, Campo de Cahuenga is a place for celebrating our multi-cultural contributions.

An adobe-like museum building dedicated by Los Angeles in 1951 serves the Campo today. Outside, a display of the latest excavation of the original adobe is on view, one that extends under busy Lankershim Boulevard. All around are the footprints of history. Native Tongva peoples knew this site at the strategic ford of the Los Angeles River. The first Californios walked here. Missionaries, rancheros, gold seekers, pioneers crossed paths here. The Butterfield Stagecoach once stopped at the Campo. A Civil War encampment was erected here. By stepping into Campo de Cahuenga today, on its grounds or through our website, visitors become the newest chapter in the hallowed Campo legacy.

Welcome to the Campo de Cahuenga. Bienvenidos a la Campo de Cahuenga. Managed by the Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Association under the auhispanices of the Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation for future generations.

Calendar of Events

Annual Reenactment of the Signing of the Articles of Capitulation

Sunday, January 11, 2015
12:30 p.m - 2:15p.m.
Free event; everyone welcome.

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood 91601

Celebrate the 168th anniversary of the historic signing.

Time-travel back to 1847 for this momentous Living History event. Witness the proceedings "in the moment" in the surroundings of the very place where General Andres Pico and Lt. Colonel John C. Fremont placed their signatures on the document ending hostilities and bringing peace with honor between the American forces and Californios under Mexican Rule. Imagine the future, as Manifest Destiny was realized, California quickly gained statehood and all local peoples united as fellow Americans because of this momentous signing. On this spot, Butterfield Stagecoaches would soon stop, Civil War soldiers would later encamp and subsequent generations would have a front row seat for a burgeoning entertainment industry.

Our Re-enactment Supporters:

Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Assoc.; City of Los Angeles Dept. of Recreation and Parks, North Hollywood Recreation Center; Universal City - North Hollywood Chamber of Commerce; Toluca Lake Chamber of Commerce; City of Los Angeles; Native Sons of the Golden West; Native Daughters of the Golden West; Daughters of the American Revolution Hollywood Chapter; Valley College Historical Museum; San Fernando Valley Historical Society; San Fernando Valley Garden Clubs; Huntington Westerners; Legal Advisor Mike Murphy; North Hollywood Kiwanis Club; Weddington Investment Properties LLC; Universal Studios Hollywood; No Ho; Miles Knudsen Consulting; Van Nuys Glass; Leonis Adobe; Carol Burle; Owensmouth Historical Society; Aztec Club of 1847; Studio City Residents Assoc.

================================================
THE HISTORIC EVENT:

- Failing in an attempt to purchase the Southwest from Mexico, The United States declared war on Mexico on May 13, 1846 following the outbreak of hostilities over the disputed Mexico-Texas border.

- In July and August, the U.S. Navy occupied all California ports without facing organized Mexican resistance. However, American misrule in Los Angeles led to a local Californio rebellion and the armed expulsion of US occupiers from that city.

- The rebellion spread through most of Southern California and climaxed in early December with the defeat of Gen. Kearney's American forces by Californio vaqueros (under the leadership of Andres Pico) at the Battle of San Pasqual.

- Determined to suppress the rebellion, American commanders Stockton and Kearney prepared to recapture Los Angeles. They ordered American Forces under John C. Fremont to march south from Monterey, while another American force under their joint command marched north from San Diego.

- Realizing Californio forces were heavily outmanned and outgunned, Andres Pico approached Fremont with honorable terms under which the Californios would surrender.

- Fremont accepted Pico's terms in principle and the two sides agreed to meet at Campo de Cahuenga on January 13, 1847 to sign the Articles of Capitulation, known as "Capitulation of Cahuenga." The generous terms of the agreement ended hostilities in California.

- After the American conquest of Mexico City, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the war and ceded California and the American Southwest to the United States.
====================================================

Our site is located at:

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
Studio City/North Hollywood, CA 91604
Google Maps Link

Accessible by public transportation. Exit Universal City stop on Metro Red Line and enjoy the Metro's tiled art exhibit of the Campo de Cahuenga story while you are there.

(We are directly across from Universal Studios entrance adjacent to the MTA parking lot.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This act separated Alta California from Mexican control and thus Baja California remained in Mexico.

Max and I will be there selling/ signing our new Missions books as well as old California Camino Real collector bells, 'Baja Bound' book and Mike Humfreville's books. 12:30-2:15 pm FREE ADMISSION

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2013 at 10:28 PM
PHOTOS from a past event... 2013

Pico and Fremont exchange...

Canon was fired twice and every car alarm in the several blocks went off! The crowd was too big for me to get a photo of it being shot.

Mexican uniform...

American uniform...

Max and the colonel...

Inside the museum...

General Andres Pico

Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont

Campo de Cahuenga adobe

One of two glass cases containing the bells on loan from Max Kurillo, my co-author

Our table

It was a beautiful day, a bit cold, but sunny. We sold several books some bells and some Baja Calendars, too. ;D

[Edited on 1-7-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 01:59 PM

Interesting bit of history.

And I remember I used to play dress-up too..... when I was a
kid :biggrin:

I had a Davy Crockett hat, Wyatt Earp pants, cowboy boots, and Buntline cap pistols....I almost believed the "re-enactment" of "playing guns" when I was in my pre-teens....;D

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 05:46 PM

It was a short lived war, but had long lasting changes for both Mexico and the U.S., with Baja in the middle of it all!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 11:08 PM

The 2014 event is coming up Sunday, Jan. 12... Max and I will be there to sign books.

Calendar of Events

Sunday, January 12, 2014
1 p.m - 2:30 p.m.

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
Los Angeles 91604

Celebrate the 167th anniversary of the historic signing.

Time-travel back to 1847 for this momentous Living History event. Witness the proceedings "in the moment" in the surroundings of the very place where General Andres Pico and Lt. Colonel John C. Fremont placed their signatures on the document ending hostilities and bringing peace with honor between the American forces and Californios under Mexican Rule. Imagine the future, as Manifest Destiny was realized, California quickly gained statehood and all local peoples united as fellow Americans because of this momentous signing. On this spot, Butterfield Stagecoaches would soon stop, Civil War soldiers would later encamp and subsequent generations would have a front row seat for a burgeoning entertainment industry.

Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Assoc.; City of Los Angeles Dept. of Recreation and Parks, North Hollywood Recreation Center; Universal City - North Hollywood Chamber of Commerce; Toluca Lake Chamber of Commerce; City of Los Angeles; Native Sons of the Golden West; Native Daughters of the Golden West; Daughters of the American Revolution Hollywood Chapter; Valley College Historical Museum; San Fernando Valley Historical Society; San Fernando Valley Garden Clubs; Huntington Westerners; Legal Advisor Mike Murphy; North Hollywood Kiwanis Club; Weddington Investment Properties LLC; Universal Studios Hollywood; No Ho; Miles Knudsen Consulting; Van Nuys Glass; Leonis Adobe; Carol Burle; Owensmouth Historical Society; Aztec Club of 1847; Studio City Residents Assoc.

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by David K]

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 08:05 AM

:) JH
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 10:10 AM

Nice review, David. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 05:08 PM

Any Nomads in the L.A. area who are not going to Tijuana for Ferna's event, please drop in and enjoy this event, complete with cannon fire! The Campo de Cahuanga is just off the 101, and across from Universal Studios.

http://www.campodecahuenga.com/?p=4945

[Edited on 1-11-2015 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 08:58 AM

Rain check. Steady rain this morning means Max and I won't be driving to L A today. First time for rain in all the years Max has attended the event. The forcast showed it will be dry for the event, but it is the 3 hr. drive for Max to get there on wet freeways being why the rain check for this year. Be safe amigos!

AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 09:13 AM

Was stopping by with daughter to say Hi. Now I do not have to record the Cowboys , Packers!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Interesting bit of history.

And I remember I used to play dress-up too..... when I was a
kid :biggrin:

I had a Davy Crockett hat, Wyatt Earp pants, cowboy boots, and Buntline cap pistols....I almost believed the "re-enactment" of "playing guns" when I was in my pre-teens....;D

You still play "dress up" ged, I've seen it. I've even seen you do a "re-enactment" of the Baja 1000......funny how the re-enactment never comes out the same as reality :lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Was stopping by with daughter to say Hi. Now I do not have to record the Cowboys , Packers!

Thank you... I am sorry we won't get to meet and talk this time. The reenactment is still interesting, so consider going if the rain stops before (as the weatherman said it would). Anyone wanting the books we have, they are still available online, and the 3 Baja book Christmas special is extended for 2015, while supplies of Mike Humfreville's and Tagart George's books last. http://oldmissions.com

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 09:45 AM

What? No support from MALDEF or La Raza? :biggrin:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 09:51 AM

Some of this I do not understand. Weren't the people Americans (people in the Americas) before California was taken away from Mexico? Where was the peace in honor (one side lost and the other ne won)? As a multicultural event, is it celebrated by Mexico as well? Isn't this more of a celebration of California's journey to becoming a part of the United States for a US perspective?

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Any Nomads in the L.A. area who are not going to Tijuana for Ferna's event, please drop in and enjoy this event, complete with cannon fire! Max and I will have a table set up selling books and El Camino Real bells. The Campo de Cahuanga is just off the 101, and across from Universal Studios.

Full Website: http://www.campodecahuenga.com/

The Campo is a place of celebrations. Each January, for more than half a century the events of 1847 are celebrated anew. In a reenactment of the signing of a document by representatives of Mexico and the United States that became known as the Treaty of Cahuenga, signatures of General Andres Pico and Lt. Col. John C. Fremont ended hostilities in the state, creating Peace with Honor. In two years, without first becoming a U.S. territory, California was fast-tracked into the Union. Manifest Destiny was realized. We were one nation from sea to shining sea. All Californians became one people-Americans. To this day, Campo de Cahuenga is a place for celebrating our multi-cultural contributions.

An adobe-like museum building dedicated by Los Angeles in 1951 serves the Campo today. Outside, a display of the latest excavation of the original adobe is on view, one that extends under busy Lankershim Boulevard. All around are the footprints of history. Native Tongva peoples knew this site at the strategic ford of the Los Angeles River. The first Californios walked here. Missionaries, rancheros, gold seekers, pioneers crossed paths here. The Butterfield Stagecoach once stopped at the Campo. A Civil War encampment was erected here. By stepping into Campo de Cahuenga today, on its grounds or through our website, visitors become the newest chapter in the hallowed Campo legacy.

Welcome to the Campo de Cahuenga. Bienvenidos a la Campo de Cahuenga. Managed by the Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Association under the auhispanices of the Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation for future generations.

Calendar of Events

Sunday, January 11, 2015
12:30 p.m - 2:15p.m.

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood 91601

Celebrate the 168th anniversary of the historic signing.

================================================
THE HISTORIC EVENT:

- Failing in an attempt to purchase the Southwest from Mexico, The United States declared war on Mexico on May 13, 1846 following the outbreak of hostilities over the disputed Mexico-Texas border.

- In July and August, the U.S. Navy occupied all California ports without facing organized Mexican resistance. However, American misrule in Los Angeles led to a local Californio rebellion and the armed expulsion of US occupiers from that city.

- The rebellion spread through most of Southern California and climaxed in early December with the defeat of Gen. Kearney's American forces by Californio vaqueros (under the leadership of Andres Pico) at the Battle of San Pasqual.

- Determined to suppress the rebellion, American commanders Stockton and Kearney prepared to recapture Los Angeles. They ordered American Forces under John C. Fremont to march south from Monterey, while another American force under their joint command marched north from San Diego.

- Realizing Californio forces were heavily outmanned and outgunned, Andres Pico approached Fremont with honorable terms under which the Californios would surrender.

- Fremont accepted Pico's terms in principle and the two sides agreed to meet at Campo de Cahuenga on January 13, 1847 to sign the Articles of Capitulation, known as "Capitulation of Cahuenga." The generous terms of the agreement ended hostilities in California.

- After the American conquest of Mexico City, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the war and ceded California and the American Southwest to the United States.
====================================================

Our site is located at:

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
Studio City/North Hollywood, CA 91604
Google Maps Link

Accessible by public transportation. Exit Universal City stop on Metro Red Line and enjoy the Metro's tiled art exhibit of the Campo de Cahuenga story while you are there.

(We are directly across from Universal Studios entrance adjacent to the MTA parking lot.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This act separated Alta California from Mexican control and thus Baja California remained in Mexico.

Max and I will be there selling/ signing our new Missions books as well as old California Camino Real collector bells, 'Baja Bound' book and Mike Humfreville's books. 12:30-2:15 pm FREE ADMISSION

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by David K]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 10:36 AM

You will need to ask the host of the web site to hear their views Ralph. In my opinion, the people who settled in California (Spanish, Mexican, American, and other nationalities) would come to consider California as their own country, thus be called 'Californios'. More than once they considered and began the action to be independent. Like Texas, we were an independent republic, but for only a few weeks instead of 9 years. Joining the United States was seen as an improvement, since Mexico was so lacking in being able to serve its distant province. That American troops were already in California at the time the Bear Flag was raised may have been only a coincidence and not the reason...?

Here are just some of the flags associated with independent Californians, from: http://www.loeser.us/flags/california.html

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.