BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: PAVEMENT almost to Gonzaga (bbbait report)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 05:50 PM

Yah, where is the soil compactor they usually roll up and down those berms?:lol::O

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 08:24 PM

In the picture the road is not completed, most of the road is very good, high speed , my only complate is the road cuts Thur the mountains are not very wide and the rocks some big fall on the road. Very dangerous.

[Edited on 3-1-2013 by freediverbrian]
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:47 PM

"I SURVIVE PUERTECITOS-GONZAGA ROAD" SHIRTS are in order,I also have the honor of using the old road, I have 2 crak teeth to prove it.:lol::lol:
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:55 PM

2 please both 2X ! 1st trip 2007 brand new FJ I know I know...amongst the legions of Mads...i remain a rookie:rolleyes:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 10:33 PM

As of today, the bridge has a top, but not completed or connected to the pavement, so the traffic is diverted around to the back of the mountain and then up to connect with that great pavement.

Road from Highway 1 to Gonzaga is rocky, bumpy with some surprise holes and interrupted in some places by a quite smooth road. From Highway 1, it is 40 +/- miles to pavement.

We and one other traveler were stopped before it climbs into the hills by a pilot truck and had to wait about 20 minutes for three HUGE over-sized trucks and he was correct---we could have not passed them in the hills. Later, I have a picture of the trucks. The first one was the largest with a monster piece of some type of equipment for the mines in Santa Rosalia. I just cringed at picturing them passing the RV caravan we saw and picturing them going down the mountain into Santa Rosalia!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 11:25 PM

Thank you for the update!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 08:28 AM

Thanks for the report Diana but no GPS waypoints or maps? Wonder why the heavy equipment are using that route? Think I will go that way next trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:23 AM

From Mexicali or the mainland trucks, using Hwy. 5 to get to Baja Sur saves hundreds of miles and many extra hours vs. going to Hwy. 1 from Mexicali.

The Mexicali-San Felipe corridor is already 1/3 4 lanes wide and 1/3+ new, wider 2 lane highway... with the remaining soon to be completed.

San Felipe to Puertecitos corridor is the issue... old style, slow narrow highway with steep dips...

Puertecitos to (almost) Gonzaga Bay is new, wide, fast highway... as will be the final 38 miles from the new bridge to Laguna Chapala.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:31 AM

I have seen these monstrous pieces of equipment rumbling thru coco's and gotta say it looks like quite a feat for these truck drivers. wonder why they dont put em on a boat and ship em across? :?:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
From Mexicali or the mainland trucks, using Hwy. 5 to get to Baja Sur saves hundreds of miles and many extra hours vs. going to Hwy. 1 from Mexicali.

The Mexicali-San Felipe corridor is already 1/3 4 lanes wide and 1/3+ new, wider 2 lane highway... with the remaining soon to be completed.

San Felipe to Puertecitos corridor is the issue... old style, slow narrow highway with steep dips...

Puertecitos to (almost) Gonzaga Bay is new, wide, fast highway... as will be the final 38 miles from the new bridge to Laguna Chapala.

I know all that David, since it is one of my favorite routes to and from Aeizona. But the section from Gonzaga to Chapala has to be rough on them. You been that way RECENTLY.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Thanks for the report Diana but no GPS waypoints or maps? Wonder why the heavy equipment are using that route? Think I will go that way next trip.

My GPS has a very dead battery and is just waiting for me to decide which local I want to have it (with new batteries).. We think that too much GPS destroys the sense of adventure and discovery. :biggrin:

You wanted a map? OK

On the dirt those trucks, especially the lead truck, were crawling along that dirt. As they crawled down that last little hill, but went just far enough past where we and the other vehicle were pulled way off the road, and they stopped. They looked very exhausted from driving through those hills and frankly, there are places I really wondered how they got through. But at least, there was not much in the way of on coming traffic.

I just hope they and everyone else along the main highway made it OK!

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by DianaT]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:12 PM

wow Diane. Nice current, first hand report!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:22 PM

WOW
Those pictures shure Kill the argument for high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicles to travel that road,

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by J.P.]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
WOW
Those pictures shure Kill the argument for high clearence 4 wheel drive vehicles to travel that road,

No, one does not need a high clearance 4 x 4 for that road. It is rocky and bumpy through the hills --- just need to avoid the holes, the places where the road is crumbling on the side, and some of the bigger rocks on the road. The people who were stopped with us said they met someone who had taken their fifth wheel trailer over the road. Not sure I would want to do that, but they made it just fine. With our Subaru, we just drove rather slowly.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:39 PM

....funny thing,,,,,~3 weeks ago when my son and I arrived at the area of 'end-of-road' daveK's picture,,,the dirt mound wasn't fully in place,,,no signage for a detour,,,detour road not very visible,,,,,,,,,,,,2 workers not fully paying attention,,,,but then -thankfully- motioned for us to take the detour rather than carrying on at highway speed!!:o:o

....I reallydo -love- baja for things like this!!!:)

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by micah202]
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
WOW
Those pictures shure Kill the argument for high clearence 4 wheel drive vehicles to travel that road,

No, one does not need a high clearance 4 x 4 for that road. It is rocky and bumpy through the hills --- just need to avoid the holes, the places where the road is crumbling on the side, and some of the bigger rocks on the road. The people who were stopped with us said they met someone who had taken their fifth wheel trailer over the road. Not sure I would want to do that, but they made it just fine. With our Subaru, we just drove rather slowly.

We had a 98 Subaru that we used to travel Baja in It never let us down. When I sold it it had almost 300 thou. mi. on it and i still see it around ever once in a while.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
WOW

But it sure makes you feel important when you say its a special road and only 4x4 high clearance need apply.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

But it sure makes you feel important when you say its a special road and only 4x4 high clearance need apply.

It does, until you get a flat in your 4x4, and a local driving a Toyota Tercel stops and helps you change the tire.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
WOW
Those pictures shure Kill the argument for high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicles to travel that road,

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by J.P.]

Not sure what was edited, but so all newbies to Nomad are clear... it was before 1986 when you needed such a vehicle, except if there was a flash flood washout after then.

In 1986, the Mexican government replaced the 'jeep trail' between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay with a graded dirt highway... Now, that dirt highway wasn't maintained after 2005 and it got really rough and slow to drive, but high ground clearance and 4WD was still not needed. 2007 saw the start of the newer paved highway heading south to Gonzaga... at about 6 miles a year progress.

From the south, in 1983 a graded dirt highwaty was built from Laguna Chapala to Puerto Calamajue and where Coco's Corner would eventually be, you could turn north to Gonzaga Bay... and it was not too difficult to drive in 2WD, from Hwy. 1. By ~1987, the new graded road from Puertecitos reached the Coco's Corner intersection completing the government grading of Mex. 5.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

It does, until you get a flat in your 4x4, and a local driving a Toyota Tercel stops and helps you change the tire.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.