BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Calif. Almanac map book back in circulation... in 2013.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 01:30 PM
Baja Calif. Almanac map book back in circulation... in 2013.

Just got this email from Discover Baja Travel Club:

Dear Discover Baja Members:

The BAJA CALIFORNIA ALMANAC is BAAAAC!!!!

We have an abundance of copies, so, if you or your friends need one we will be happy to help you. Just call the office--800-727-2252.

We also have two new laminated fold-up field guides in stock. One is "Mexico Tropical Fruit" and the other is "Mexico Flowers-Flores". Each is $7.95 with a 10% discount for members.

Current gas prices in Baja are:
Regular $3.30
Premius $3.45
Diesel $3.42

Peso exchange is 12.26 pesos per dollar.

Hope you're planning your 2013 trip to "warm" Baja. Let us help.

Saludos,
Carol, Hugh, Mayth� and Monica (plus our 4-legged greeters Kaley and Darla)

[Edited on 2-22-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 01:38 PM

Wonder if "Mexico Tropical Fruit" covers native fruit or introduced fruits? Any additional info out there?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 04:31 PM

Now if only they could make it available digitally for download. Imagine how awesome it would be on an iPad?
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:35 PM

Have they fixed the latitude errors in the mid-peninsula section?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by salttram
Have they fixed the latitude errors in the mid-peninsula section?

In case not, here are the fixes I posted in 2009:

2009 Almanac latitude corrections to pencil in:

On Maps 5 & 6, the latitude changes to make: All the 31° figures needs to be 30° (the minutes are fine).

On Map 7: All the 31° figures need to be changed to 29° and the one 30° figure needs to be 28°.

Map 12 [RIGHT side only] latitude figures are wrong, they should be the same numbers as on the left side.

Map 18 degree figures on both sides are wrong: the 25° figures should all be 24°, and the 26° figures should all be 25°.

[Edited on 2-25-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 10:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just got this email from Discover Baja Travel Club:

Dear Discover Baja Members:

The BAJA CALIFORNIA ALMANAC is BAAAAC!!!!

We have an abundance of copies, so, if you or your friends need one we will be happy to help you. Just call the office--800-727-2252.

We also have two new laminated fold-up field guides in stock. One is "Mexico Tropical Fruit" and the other is "Mexico Flowers-Flores". Each is $7.95 with a 10% discount for members.

Current gas prices in Baja are:
Regular $3.30
Premius $3.45
Diesel $3.42

Peso exchange is 12.26 pesos per dollar.

Hope you're planning your 2013 trip to "warm" Baja. Let us help.

Saludos,
Carol, Hugh, Mayth� and Monica (plus our 4-legged greeters Kaley and Darla)

What are the chances of finding any more of these? PDF version?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 11:47 PM

Well, this is a five year old thread. However, until recently, new 2009 Almanacs were still being sold by Baja Bound. Keep tuned in for future announcements about abailability.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 07:51 AM

I got my hopes up for a moment there.
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 07:56 AM

Yeah sorry to do that I knew this was from way back. I just figured someone had an electronic version by now.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 08:19 AM

I have a hard copy, but it would be nice to have another one.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 10:38 AM

Really had me going with that peso exchange rate :biggrin:

In Memory of E-57
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo-Feo  
Yeah sorry to do that I knew this was from way back. I just figured someone had an electronic version by now.

I had the entire Baja Almanac scanned digitally high-resolution and made CD's available to people for $40 each in order to recover the scanning costs at one time, however, Landon, the owner of the Baja Almanac, asked me to stop so we abandoned the project.

The latest price I saw on eBay for a brand new Baja Almanac is $300 ...

The question is will DK's new map be digitally available for purchase when its complete?

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 03:18 PM

My "new map" is no Almanac, sorry. It is made to show the roads and places in my road guide. The good news is they are all here on Nomad, for free. Just go to the Road Conditions forum. There are 30 maps covering most of the peninsula and they not only represent my efforts but also the input by other Nomads, too!

It is the hope that we can provide a revised Baja Almanac someday. Perhaps Desert Bull with his much more frequent travels and scans can be convinced to be a part of a new Almanac?

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 03:30 PM

I have laminated and bound Baja Almanac that I will sell anyone for five thousand dollars. :biggrin:

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My "new map" is no Almanac, sorry. It is made to show the roads and places in my road guide. The good news is they are all here on Nomad, for free. Just go to the Road Conditions forum. There are 30 maps covering most of the peninsula and they not only represent my efforts but also the input by other Nomads, too!

It is the hope that we can provide a revised Baja Almanac someday. Perhaps Desert Bull with his much more frequent travels and scans can be convinced to be a part of a new Almanac?

Sadly I cannot be part of any new Almanac. I'm in retired life now and busier traveling and exploring now then I've ever been. Sorry I'm OUT...

Plus E32 Cartografia from Victor and his compadres is WAY WAY better then the Baja Almanac ever was. Get out and explore! Side roads are my life.

[Edited on 2-11-2018 by Desertbull]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
Strange...Not a single Nomad has anything to say about pirate copies of this amazing piece of work being sold for profit?

I know the original author has passed away but the copyright doesn't die with the owner.

Not strange at all. This was discussed at length in the past.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86829&pag...
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 11:20 PM

"eBay User ID Effective Date End Date
explorebaja Feb-12-18 Present
mrdirtnewz Dec-10-11 Feb-12-18
dirtnewz Oct-22-11 Dec-10-11
teamdesertbull Mar-19-02 Oct-22-11 <-----------------"

Interesting.
Can you provide a link documenting this information? I would like to see the source data.

Bruce

[Edited on 2-23-2018 by mcnut]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 10:39 AM

Hi stiladam,
The thread link that Kurt posted (but may not work for everyone because page numbers are different depending on your Nomad settings) is http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86829

I have enthusiastically promoted Landon's publications. They are indeed the best maps, even with the many errors. All maps have errors or almost all!

Landon did not "make" those maps but instead published maps made by the Mexican government... He did add to them, a lot... mileages, names, etc. That makes them HIS maps, no doubt.

Now, the maps were printed in California and if you read the threads mentioned, you will see that both Baja Bound and Discover Baja had received new 2009 Almanacs to sell. You see, because Landon died, the printer hadn't finished doing business with him and wants to still sell the inventory.

Not all may be illegal copies of the original. Some of us bought extra copies to cherish and save... maybe resell in the future?

I have been asked to revise the Almanac and that would be wonderful if I could. Believe me, we have tried to secure the deal or just go back to INEGI and do what Landon did for his many editions of the Baja Topo Atlas and Almanacs (1986, 1991, ~1998, 2003, 2009).

The copyright law protects the value while the book is still available new from dealers or the publisher. After the book is no longer sold, demand for it is why duplicates get made.

Here again are Landon's map books:

All produced by Landon Crumpton...

Top left: 1986 Baja Topo Atlas
Bottom left: 1991 Baja Topo Atlas
Center top: ~1998 Baja California Almanac (Norte and Sur editions)
Center bottom: 2003 Baja California Almanac
Right: 2009 Baja California Almanac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
The source material doesn't matter. The copyright does.

I totally understand why people would share duplicates on a personal level to a buddy, but to make your own copies and sell them to unsuspecting buyers AS ORIGINALS at $250 each?

You're okay with this?

Let's all just knock off the Missions book as a pdf and share it then

[Edited on 2-23-2018 by stiladam]

I don't think I said anywhere I was ok with it. Just saying it was so good that if the publisher doesn't want to make any more then it can happen. Now, Landon was his own publisher using a printing company. So, both the publisher and author are gone and we have a printer that had inventory. I just wanted you to know why new 2009 books were still being sold in 2017.

The mission book is still in demand and for sale by me (see link below in my signature?) and my distributors. Sunbelt Publications is my prime distributor and that is how my book is on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, too. I just printed 200 more copies and they have 20 new photos and 20 pages with updated text from my many trips in 2017.

So, no need to go to the trouble and high cost of printing any pirate copies! LOL; wait until the book is no longer available new and I am dead or too old to care!!! Heck, if anyone wants to buy 10 or more copies from me, they can get them at the wholesale price... and resell them if they want to!!! I offer that price to schools and organizations, too. Baja was California first and the missions in Baja include the first 18 California missions. All Californians and Southwest or Mexican history fans should know this.

I make it as easy as possible to learn about what happened in Baja from when the Spanish discovered the place (at La Paz), about how they attempted to colonize the peninsula with missions, and events until the last missionaries left La Paz by boat in 1855. Many pages of my book have been shared here on Nomad and on the book's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/oldmissions There is now a GROUP page connected to the original Facebook page for easier communicating and to see the latest mission photos I took last year.

The 2018 printing of Baja California Land of Missions, at the moment, is only available at www.oldmissions.com as it will be a while before this newest version is stocked at other book sources like Amazon.

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 11:41 AM

"You'll see the available quantity at 10 in this link https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Baja-Almanac-Map-book/162... You may need to be logged in to your eBay account to do this: If you click on the feedback number where it says explorebaja (109). Click on the 109 and then click on "View ID history" to the right. You will see "explorebaja" was just created on Feb 12 and one of the old seller ID is "teamdesertbull". You can change your seller ID on eBay."

Thanks for that and I have verified the info Stiladam provided.

Bruce

[Edited on 2-23-2018 by mcnut]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.