BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lecture: Fall of the Sea of Cortez at Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:33 PM
Lecture: Fall of the Sea of Cortez at Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA

Long beach Aquarium
Information and live web stream at:
http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/the_fall_of_the...

The Fall of the Sea of Cortez
On January 29 at 7:00pm pst, Aaron Quintanar will presenting a lecture at Long Beach's Aquarium of the Pacific entitled The Fall of the Sea of Cortez. The lecture will be streamed live on the web and available after for podcast/web viewing. The link to the lecture at the Aquarium is:

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/the_fall_of_the...

The Fall of the Sea of Cortez
Event Categories
All Event Categories
Education Programs
Aaron Quintanar
Aaron Quintanar will discuss the history of environmental impacts and lost conservation opportunities in Baja California and the Sea of Cortez from 1994 to 2008. Quintanar is a conservationist and former lifeguard who led conservation efforts in Baja California, where development pressure, overfishing, and other human activities threaten ecosystems.

Tune in Live
This speaking engagement will be streamed live via the web. It's free and you can participate in the Q&A session at the end via Twitter. Times posted are in Pacific Time. Please note that if you tune in early, you may see either a placeholder image or another scheduled guest speaker engagement.

Q&A
Check in during this lecture to see a live feed of this speaking engagement. Submit your questions and comments with your own Twitter account. @AquariumPacific and tag your question with #aopquintanar for a chance to have your question answered at the end during the question and answer session.

Event Information
When Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 | 7:00 PM–8:30 PM

Cost $5 for public; FREE for Aquarium members, seniors age 62 and up, teachers, and students with valid ID and advanced reservations.
Tickets You can purchase tickets online for this lecture. You will need to select the option from the menu, correct time, and date on the following pages. Aquarium members, seniors age 62 and up, teachers, and students must call to RSVP.
RSVP (562) 590-3100, ext. 0
Links View past lecture videos
Category Guest Speaker
Live Web Stream
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:37 PM

Thank you for letting us know and providing the links!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 11:10 PM
Lecture Background

Hello David and Bajanomads,

I am presenting the lecture and I would like to provide a bit of background. During the winter/spring of 1969-70, I traveled with my family overland from San Diego to Cabo. It was truly an amazing trip. Since then I continued traveling with my family and friends throughout Baja to fish, surf, help establish lifeguard programs, and visit family in southern Baja. I, as many Nomads, have witnessed dramatic changes to the gulf and the peninsula that we love.

I first became involved in conservation during the Laguna San Ignacio-Mitsubishi salt project fight of the mid-late 1990’s. This environmental battle produced a number people that would make critical decisions in the coming years regarding land and marine conservation. From 2000-2005, I led conservation efforts at Wildcoast and worked in partnership with Pronatura.

My lecture will cover fishing impacts in the gulf by decade since the 1920’s and peninsular conservation efforts since the mid-1990’s at 1) Bahia Concepcion/Ejido La Purisima, 2) Bahia de los Angeles/Ejido Tierra y Libertad, and 3) Laguna San Ignacio/Ejido Luis Echeverria. During this period, conservation agreements at these three 1-million acre sites were negotiated and only required signatures from the respective ejido presidents to fully execute. Critical decisions led to the loss of two of the three sites and only limited success at the third. My lecture will discuss what happened. I hope that Nomads attend or view the webcast.

Peace,
Aaron
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 11:17 PM

What an honor... and welcome to Baja Nomad! I share your love for Baja that also began before Hwy. 1 was built between Colonet and Constitucion.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2013 at 08:38 AM

Aqusufer:

I lived and fished the Sea of Cortez from 1967 to the present, owning and operating a Panga for 27 years from Loreto, covering the area from Los Delores South to the Islands North.

To this day I have a disageement with many of the "so-called" studies of several People and units.

From my first visits to the present time I have observed many changes and returns of the sealife from the Squid to Yellowtail.

It would be much Valid it someone would take a fairsize boat and started from the North and worked a whole year and then return North for the 2nd year and did a truthfull Study, reporting the
Facts and what they observed. To this day I have not seen such a Survey.
This type of Survey should be done by "Bothsides" of the Specitrim. without having to "Beg" for Donations!!

First the Survey should concetrate on the "Panga Fisherman and Sport fisherman" prior to the opening of the Road, then on the increase and present decrease of the present Fisherman.

As we have observed the Present Day Investigators concrete on the use of Electronic Devices to do their Studies instead of getting into the Water and spending time with actual Observation.

I do not beleive that the Cortez can ever be "Ruined" unless they put a Thousand Commercial rigs across the complete South entrance to control the movement of fish into and out of the Cortez.

Skeet/Loreto
"
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2013 at 03:58 PM

Hello Skeet,

I am a fellow sport fisher and I have had the opportunity to work with some great sport and commercial fishers in the gulf. So I have had some amazing days on the big "charco" learning how to fish, not simply throw hooks at it. I still have plenty to learn. The problem in thinking about the gulf is that great days on the water can sometimes lead one to beleive that everything is ok. I like you believe that if left to recover marine ecosystems will they will do just that.

Now the issue becomes how to adress these problems - do you establish off limit/notake zones MPA's or do you work with fishers in finding solutions. I am definitely in favor of working with fishers. There are plenty of examples all over the world of stakeholders working together to solve problems including Mex (ie. spiny lobster cooperatives on the pacific side).

I have been fortunate in that I was along when my father went fishing and was able to listen in on some incredible post fishing conversations. What is clear to me is that the gulf is not what it used to be. Upper gulf: the delta is down to less than 10%, totoaba and vaquita on the brink, lots of shrimp trawl residual damage. Midriff: eastern area fished out and now these guys are now hammering island region. Central Gulf: national park/goodfishing but those darn towns/cities keep growing = problems in future. Southern gulf: big cities and lots of fishing effort focused here. No more shark migration, they are basically gone. Then when you think about the growing towns and cities all over the gulf this equals more pressure. Combine this with the current shift in commercial fishing effort and you get a very serious situation that we all need to address.

I believe in structuring solutions where all stakeholders benefit because in Baja I know that what I work to protect is is the economic lifeblood of many people and communities.

Thanks for the comments Skeet and I hope you catch the lecture on the web.
Peace
A
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2013 at 06:01 PM

Welcome aboard. Your thoughtful post is greatly appreciated and I will attempt to catch your web presentation. Will I be able to see it at another time? Will it remain on the web.
You will find this to be an eclectic group indeed, as Shari Bondy says, welcome to the sandbox!

Views here run the spectrum form creationists to serious scientists. Attitudes are many and information is valuable to us all. I am very glad you have found us and look forward to your participation on this board.

Iflyfish
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 08:37 AM

Aqusufer:

Good Attitude!

Starting in 1067 fishing with my good friend Alvaro Murillo I learned how to fish from their ways. Purchased my Panga in 1972.At that ime the heavy fishing at San Felipe was happening,keeping in Mind that is really a small Trap area heading into the Coloroda River.
The Shrimpers were working real heavy in the Bay out of Loreto. They took Shrimp for many years.The Fertilizer boats started taking the Sierra out and as a result the Yellowtail moved out to deeper water and different bait fish.
To this day it would be interesting to do a study of the "Reefs" out in the Midriff;
Every time I have fished the Mercanerious Reef I have always observed YellowTail schooling on the top of the Water as they did from the first.

I have been fishing out of Loreto when I counted at least 80 Pangas fishing each day, Now days there is less Panga Fishing and a result les Reporting of Catches.{Less fisherman}. Also there has been a change as many American Fisherman have gone to Electronics for their Fishing.

I was present when two Japanese boats came in and fished Catalana Island using 5 foot Tubes to Vacaum fish from Ilsa Carmen. They were caught and their loads taken.\

I have observed Squid beaching themselves on several places and observed it recently even after the Squid Boats were taking Thousands of Tons for about 3 years. The Squid are still coming back!

To this day I can go out of Loreto about 5 miles and bring in Nice size Yellowtail Recently I was at Delfonso Island and observed many ,many small Sharks,
I dove and fished around that area and observed the Habits of fish and appreciate you idea of doing studies. But you have to do it from an Investigative stand instead of what some one is telling you.

In doing your Studies do not overlook the report on the Pelicans and Birds and their place in the Fishlife. A young man from University of New mexico did a 3 year study that you might find useful. He actually camped o the Islands and stayed for 3 months at a time.

I appreciate your information and efforts in your Adventure!

Skeet/Loreto
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqsurfer
Hello Skeet,

I am a fellow sport fisher and I have had the opportunity to work with some great sport and commercial fishers in the gulf. So I have had some amazing days on the big "charco" learning how to fish, not simply throw hooks at it. I still have plenty to learn. The problem in thinking about the gulf is that great days on the water can sometimes lead one to beleive that everything is ok. I like you believe that if left to recover marine ecosystems will they will do just that.

Now the issue becomes how to adress these problems - do you establish off limit/notake zones MPA's or do you work with fishers in finding solutions. I am definitely in favor of working with fishers. There are plenty of examples all over the world of stakeholders working together to solve problems including Mex (ie. spiny lobster cooperatives on the pacific side).

I have been fortunate in that I was along when my father went fishing and was able to listen in on some incredible post fishing conversations. What is clear to me is that the gulf is not what it used to be. Upper gulf: the delta is down to less than 10%, totoaba and vaquita on the brink, lots of shrimp trawl residual damage. Midriff: eastern area fished out and now these guys are now hammering island region. Central Gulf: national park/goodfishing but those darn towns/cities keep growing = problems in future. Southern gulf: big cities and lots of fishing effort focused here. No more shark migration, they are basically gone. Then when you think about the growing towns and cities all over the gulf this equals more pressure. Combine this with the current shift in commercial fishing effort and you get a very serious situation that we all need to address.

I believe in structuring solutions where all stakeholders benefit because in Baja I know that what I work to protect is is the economic lifeblood of many people and communities.

Thanks for the comments Skeet and I hope you catch the lecture on the web.
Peace
A
Great points. One of the greatest problems I've seen is with pangeros coming from other parts, who have no connection to the region, trying to make a quick buck exploiting the resources. It would be nice to see the locals apply more pressure on them to follow the rules.
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 06:50 PM

Hola Iflyfish, Skeet, and Monoloco,

The lecture will remain on the Aquarium's site for streaming or download via podcast afterwards and thanks for the warning regarding the site. I have been checking in for many years but have never posted anything. Despite being a "sandbox" there is some very good info to be found here.

A couple of things that I want to mention regarding squid. Steinbeck and Ricketts never mention them in either their observations or in their book. If present they would have. Second, the increasing number of squid could indicate an inbalance or change in the marine food web.

One thing that is important for you to know is that I am not a scientist. My job is conservation and that means that I have a responisbility to investigate and listen to everyone in order to gather as much info as possible. Then I work in structuring solutions. Like I said before, there are examples all over the world of effective fishing managemet that protect the interests of fishers and conservationsits. Lots of work to do.

Monoloco, you bring up a very important problem, namely pangeros from other parts. This is a reality that the gulf faces because despite being a large marine environment (LME) - it is very narrow. It is easy enough to get across or move north/south. The local coops have to step up in partnership with government agencies. I know I opened up a can of worms regarding the governemnt but if things are going to be cleaned up they have to play a positive role. A few months ago I saw 100's of pangas hammering the midriff, none were local. Some commercial fishers are not playing nice. For an example check out the work that Vince Radice has been doing. Here is a link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZstAPZqDYmQ

I have been working with Vince in trying to get some support to address the issue. It could also serve as a catalyst for positive change not just lip service.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2013 at 07:32 PM

I love Long Beach Aquarium. The big tank is awesome and full of yellowtail, white seabass and black seabass. A must see for anyone in Long Beach!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 10:29 AM

Finally there seems to be an intelligent discussion about the Sea of Cortez!

First there must be a valid survery and understanding of the Sea.

The Sea is a Huge FishTrap caused many years ago when the Colo River was closed;The movement of the fish in and out of the Sea changed. From the days when large schools of all kinds were seen on top of the Water.
I lived and fished with the mesicano Fisherman out of San Nicholas for several years.
It seems to me that we need a good study of the Sea from the Mouth to San Felipe North.I think it would Help much.

Next is dealing with the Panga Fisherman, the Commercial rigs etc.That is going to be very difficult with the Mexican People and Govt, as it is today.
Goverment Control even in the United States is a Problem, just look at our failure in controling DOPE!

Here we are in the States with a Culture and Society out of control.telling a poor country how to keep its People from catching fish and eating other foods.

Keep trying, be Honest and respectfull of those Fisherman.

Skeet/loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Finally there seems to be an intelligent discussion about the Sea of Cortez!...

The Sea is a Huge FishTrap ...

Skeet/loreto

Yup!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 11:03 AM

Welcome aboard Aqsurfer. Unfortunately i live at Punta Banda on Bahia Todo Santos, Ensenada. The reason I say unfortunate is that when i moved there 7 years ago there were 6 or 8 tuna rings in front of my house. Now there are 38 and 4 purse seiners working round the clock to fed them. No bait left = nothing to fish for. Worse than the SoC will ever be.

Bob Durrell
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 11:20 AM

I have had a Solution to some of the Problems:

Have Canada sell some of its Water to Mexico shipping it through the Colorado River where the states could charge for its use as Power, then on to San Felipe split it off and direct it to the Westside of Baja for use in the fields and Crops. this would produce a much larger employment for many of the Mexican workers maybe causing some relief from all of the Pangeros.

Skeet
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 12:26 PM

Some here have mentioned the Colorado River outflow estuaries as a factor. I think that Skeet's last post hits the target; to understand what's happening, the entire system needs to be studied.
We tend to react to what happens right in front of us, or impacts us directly rather than seek systemic solutions.
I read recently that there are plans to restore a small portion of the original Colorado River Delta. That is a start. I hope that the restoration is actually done, and it's results studied.
Here in the Northwest we are seeing the removal of a few dams that had destroyed salmon spawning habitats. It has surprised many experts to see how quickly the mud-buried, oxygen starved river beds have begun healing. I hope that the same rapid restoration in the Gulf.
It seems that to really see a lasting impact it takes the participation of all stakeholders, not just ex-pat sport and ejido commercial fishers, but American farmers, Penninsula resort owners, and even urban water consumers 1000's of miles from the impact of their golf courses and landscaped yards.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.